Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

polaroid tv capacitor identification

Hi,

Im a newbie so please bare with me. I have a Polaroid tv model 3211TLXB. A few months ago, I heard a pop and saw some smoke from the rear of the tv. This caused a loss of picture, but the tv still turned on and I had sound, just no picture. So anyway, since it was under warranty I went through hell to get a repair person over to the house to look at it. He replaced 2 capacitors and went on his way, the tv worked fine for about a month. Just yesterday the pic went out again and I had sound but no pic. I opened up the back and the same 2 caps the repair guy replaced were bad again. Is there any way I can find out the correct rating on the capacitors I need? The ones that the guy replaced say 10uf 450V 105'C but I dont think he used the right ones so before I purchase another set and replace them I just wanted to ensure I got the right ones. can anyone help? (i have no issue replacing them, Im not going through all that bs with the warranty company again).

Thanks
    rube

Re: polaroid tv capacitor identification

I am looking at a friends Polaroid tv model TDA-03211C. Those two caps are the same ones bulging on this PSU. They can be found on Digi-Key. If the two replacements lasted only a month i would suspect some other problem that is causing these to bulge. Unless the caps are inferior. Try the panasonic on DK.
    Just my thoughts.. Others on this forum are true experts on tv repair. This tv is exibiting the same as yours. Audio but no pic.

Comment

There is a very good chance the tech did not install the proper caps. I suspect those caps are part of the PFC front end of the power supply, and have to deal with a lot of surge current. (Pictures always help). It appears Panasonic EE caps would be the best choice - they are rated for 10,000 hours, and operation at 100 Khz. Digikey has them as P13672-ND EEU-EE2W100 at $0.87 ea.

I would suggest waiting for someone with experience on these TVs to confirm this. Also, verify the diameter and height.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

This is a pic of the tv with the back open

the arrow is pointing to the 2 caps the repair guy replaced. the top one that is missing is the one that popped and i pulled it off.

I just have a hard time believing he used the correctly rated caps, the ones that he installed are 10uf 450V which seems kind of high. I found a few other sites where people have replaced their caps (same brand tv, maybe slightly older model) their original ones were 1000uf 10V. here are the threads

http://www.fixya.com/support/r741402...v_black_screen

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...light=polaroid

im thinking of trying out the 1000uf 10V or 1000uf 16V to see what happens, whats the worst that can happen?

Comment

Well, If it needs a 450 volt capacitor, and you put in a 10 volt or 16 volt capacitor - it will explode! Do NOT try this!!

Comment

Well, thats my real question. its strange that less than a month after the repair guy replaced the caps, one of them blows again. i dont know that he used the correct ones, is there any way I can find out which rating cap belongs there?

Comment

I just checked, The height of the blown cap is about 1" and diam is about 1/2".

Comment

I did a search on eBay for the power supply for the model number set that you listed in your first post - 3211TLXB - and it does not look like the power supply in your picture

http://cgi.ebay.com/POLAROID-3211TLX...item19b64bb525

But it does look like the power supply for the model number set that elbtax lists in his post - TDA-03211C

http://cgi.ebay.com/860-AZ0-IPOS150H...item27b1e8568c

Maybe elbtax can post what the capacitor values in his power supply are.

There is a huge difference between a 10uf 450 volt capacitor and a 1000uf 10 volt or 16 volt capacitor - I am sure the TV would not have worked for 1 second, let alone 1 month, if the tech put in the wrong capacitor. It definitely sounds like there is another problem, or maybe he just put in garbage capacitors again.

Comment

By location those caps are decoupling the inverter power line. 10 volts seems very low. I also see this power supply seems to have caps under the heat sinks - a horrible design. 'Designed to fail' comes to mind.

Looking at the pictures, it appears this power supply does not have a PFC front end.

Agreed before ordering new caps we have to know what the originals were.

PlainBill
                  Last edited by PlainBill; 06-13-2010, 08:25 PM.
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by crtfool
                    I did a search on eBay for the power supply for the model number set that you listed in your first post - 3211TLXB - and it does not look like the power supply in your picture

http://cgi.ebay.com/POLAROID-3211TLX...item19b64bb525

But it does look like the power supply for the model number set that elbtax lists in his post - TDA-03211C

http://cgi.ebay.com/860-AZ0-IPOS150H...item27b1e8568c

Maybe elbtax can post what the capacitor values in his power supply are.

There is a huge difference between a 10uf 450 volt capacitor and a 1000uf 10 volt or 16 volt capacitor - I am sure the TV would not have worked for 1 second, let alone 1 month, if the tech put in the wrong capacitor. It definitely sounds like there is another problem, or maybe he just put in garbage capacitors again.
                    Good call, I emailed the guy whose posting looks exactly like my power supply if he can check and let me know what the cap values are.
                    Thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming....I really appreciate the help so far.

On another note, can you run wires and relocate the caps away from the heat sinks?

by the way, who is elbtax?

Thanks
                    Rube
                    Last edited by therube; 06-13-2010, 08:51 PM.

Comment

How about a pic of the replaced/pulled cap so we can see the manufacturer, series, date code, and what damage was done to it?

The series will tell us the ripple, ESR, temp specs, etc. The date code will tell us how old the cap is.

Originally posted by therube
                      I just checked, The height of the blown cap is about 1" and diam is about 1/2".
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

this is all thats left of the cap. this is the one that the repair guy replaced.....so im pretty certain its not the correct rating

Comment

Good call, I emailed the guy whose posting looks exactly like my power supply if he can check and let me know what the cap values are.
                          Thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming....I really appreciate the help so far.

On another note, can you run wires and relocate the caps away from the heat sinks?

by the way, who is elbtax?

Thanks
                          Rube
                          I also sent a message to elbtax to see if he can check the caps and let me know what the values are. hopefully its the same power supply board as mine.

Comment

Is there any other writing on the other side on the cap? If yes, post pics again.

When you pulled the cap, was the negative side of the cap on the negative side of the board? Is the other replacement cap in the TV installed with the correct polarity? It looks like the negative on the board is pointing down. Do you see the cap stripe on the negative side?

this is all thats left of the cap. this is the one that the repair guy replaced.....so im pretty certain its not the correct rating
                            Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-13-2010, 09:25 PM.
                            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

yes, they were both installed correctly. I checked that first before pulling it off. there was nothing else on that cap, except for the dashes which indicated the negative lead.

Comment

Don't know if 03211c is even remotely close to the 3211TLXB model or not, but this thread

http://www.fixya.com/support/t406050...annel_selector

says (if it is reliable by Philctr1982@yahoo.com) that the caps are 10uF 450V. So assuming the repair guy did the job correctly, you may want to try some better brands. I don't recognize the brand in your picture.

I have a Polaroid tv model 3211TLXB. The ones that the guy replaced say 10uf 450V 105'C but I dont think he used the right ones
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have a few caps with that TSC name I got them from Jameco way back when before I strictly went with brand name caps.

Garden variety Chinese crap is my guess.

Since you can't move the caps you're going to have to put in some robust caps that can deal with the heat.

Speaking of which looks like there was supposed to be two 10 uf caps and they cut it down to one. Unless that's the one you removed.

I hope that thermal strip missing from the left bottom heatsink is stuck on the TVs metal back plate.

They did this because the heatsinks on the board don't have enough surface area to dissipate the heat. Those thermal strips conduct it to the TVs backplate which has a larger surface area.

A great mod to cut down heat would be to add additional strips to improve heat transfer. The heatsinks on the left have room for 2 more and the large one on the right has room for 3 more.
                                  Last edited by Krankshaft; 06-14-2010, 01:10 AM.
                                  Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Rube,
                                    Here are some pics of the guts of the tv. They are not great but you will see the two psu are very similar...
                                    Attached Files

Comment

I just picked up a TDA-03211C today with the same caps blown in the power supply. My power supply looks identical to yours and the caps are HEC 10MFD 450V caps.

Comment

Thanks for all the help everyone, I cant tell you how much I appreciate it. I ended up ordering 10 caps from digikey 10uf 450V. They are made by Nichicon so I hope they are a good quality. If anyone needs caps 10uf 450V 105*C, shoot me an email.
                                        These are the ones I ordered

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-2069-ND

Comment

Working...
                                        X