Cleaning Motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cleaning Motherboards

Freon is Uno ONE to use for cleaning. I did it once in 1990. Came out like new. Ever since. nothing good but one came close is oxi-clean.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Having read that some people use water to clean boards is doubtful. on the other hand i have reclaimed old computers from a waste disposal unit that have been standing in the rain for days on end and after i have stripped them and let the parts dry for a couple of days they fire up as if they had never been wet in the first place. that is presuming they were only dumped due to their age and not due to parts failure. if you use water make sure it is either rain or distilled water.

Comment

i have been using water a long time to clean nasty electronics.
        15 years ago i got the nastiest nicotene/tar spooged icom ic-2410h radio i had ever seen.every part except the speaker and lcd went in the sink.this thing looked like it had been dipped in sludge from an engine.
        a cleanup and a set of white led's in the display got me a rig that still sold for $400 used at the time for a grand total of $30.i still have it.its the repeater at my shop.

Comment

Speaking of Freon (you mean R12 I guess). I was looking in an old electronics book where the guy was freezing a component with freeze spray.

I was curious what type of refrigerant and almost cutoff when the picture was cropped it read Refrigerant 12 (R12) . The ozone depleting CFC in an easy to release can.

It's funny to look back and see stuff like that. Newer freeze sprays that I have use R134a. But I'm sure you mean't dipping them in a vat of liquid refrigerant.

For cleaning grimy boards and gummy messes I use Goo gone to break up all the grime. Then wash off the residue will quick evaporating 91% rubbing alcohol.
          Last edited by Krankshaft; 09-25-2009, 01:44 AM.
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

freon tf was a very good solvent.
            not to be confused with freon 12,22,ect.
            i still remember a local office supply place that had 20 cases of duster spray they could not get the nozzles for.sold them to me at $1 a case to get rid of them.
            it was tripple filtered r12.
            side can tap made it easy to put it in auto a/c units.

Comment

Working...
            X