ASRock P4i65GV killed by PSU Fuhjyyu's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASRock P4i65GV killed by PSU Fuhjyyu's

I have an ASRock P4i65GV Prescott 800 Dual Channel DDR400 motherboard that became unstable after a few months being powered by a recycled Antec True550 PSU.

I just joined yesterday, and this is my first post to this forum. I'm an experienced computer software developer, with a background / hobby in electronics design and servicing. So this post is more to document my recap for others who may have the same PSU and motherboard.

I acquired the Antec True550 after upgrading a dual Xeon system for a client; they needed a proper EPS12V PSU for dual CPU upgrade. Thinking it was still in decent shape, It found it's way into an in-house ASRock / 3.2GHz Celeron-D system upgrade.

After a few months the system became unstable, and seemed to be running warmer than usual. Upon opening the case, I saw the blown caps around the CPU. They are the 10x25mm 3300uf 6.3V Nippon Chemi-Con KZG series. As stated in other threads, except for a bad batch a few years back, these should be decent caps. But then again that is about the same time the 800 Mhz FSB Socket 478 Prescott was popular.

I was familiar with this forum from prior referencing, and after reading a few threads I confirmed my suspicions of the suspect PSU. Upon PSU inspection I found it was one of the units built by CWT using the failure prone Fuhjyyu's.

I shopped Mouser and Digikey for suitable replacements. I was leaning towards the panny's but could only find them in the larger 12.5mm diameter. I narrowed my search parameters to 10mm and found comparable replacements at Mouser. A mixture of Nichicon HM, HN, and HZ series. I would have preferred to use HZ series for the main 3300uf 6.3v, but only the HM was in-stock. The HM ESR and ripple current specs are identical to the KZG specs, so they should work until the HZ are restocked.

I should have my caps today or Monday. I will take before and after pictures and post them here with more details on the specific caps values used and where. Feel free to chime in with any thoughts.

Les

Re: ASRock P4i65GV killed by PSU Fuhjyyu's

I've experienced similar problems. Antec PSUs made by Channel Well often had bad caps. It was a shame as they were good in every other way. When re-capping them, I've also had problems finding caps in 10mm size. I just use the 12.5mm (Nichicon HE and Panasonic FC/FM) and mount them a slightly above the PCB.

The chemi-con KZG caps on your are ok as long as they don't get hot. They are often fine in cooler areas, such as between PCI slots, but if they are near the CPU or northbridge, they almost always fail.

Also, if you're going to use nichicon HM or HN, make sure the date code is 2005 (05xx) or later as they were defective B4 that.

Anyway, let us know how the re-cap goes.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
    X