Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

!$!@$!@$!@%!^$^^%@$!$@!$!@!@$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

!$!@$!@$!@%!^$^^%@$!$@!$!@!@$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as an extention to this: thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16939

I came up to a dead computer today. Cleaning the connectors usually worked if it the under voltage triggered the overcurrent, but it has never just NOT WORKED. No pre operating light, hooked it to another motherboard, same thing. Hooked my TR2 430 to the board, got pre-op light (didn't turn it on cause 12v cpu wasn't hooked up)

I thought the connectors have finally burned to the point where there was connectvity, so I salvaged some from a crappy PSU, soldered them in place, same thing.

tried other power cables, disconnected all other psu cables from everything. nothing. shorted 4-5, nothing. FUCK.

and I bet cutting the burnt connectors off and soldering good ones in there voided my warranty.

seems i'm going to be working on the cap db more cause no more gaming for me for a long, long time

:cry:
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Re: !$!@$!@$!@%!^$^^%@$!$@!$!@!@$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heh. maybe if business is doing well I can talk TC into buying a new PSU for me in exchange for the several, and going to be hundreds of hours working on the capdb

I just got finished with Acon. ~5000 more datasheets to go

Comment

It's probably the motherboard if replacing the connectors doesn't help.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

no its not the MB. not exactly. The problem is my two GTX 285 black editions draw too much from the 12v1's which the extra currents causes them to get hot, and burn (as mentioned in the aformenteioned thread). However, I would clean the pins on the atx connector out and the temp would drop and it would work fine. what would happen is if it got too hot, that would mean there is too much resistance cause of some kind of corrossion caused by the heat, voltage drop, and to compensate, amperage would go up, tripping the overcurrent and turning the computer off. These last few weeks the connector has been hot, but cleaning has not worked, however it never turned off. I think what happened is the overcurrent protection failed, and just blew the damn thing. I'm only going to open it up if corsair turns my warranty down. has a lifetime warranty

I plugged a 430 into my computer and it had the pre operating light.

If I can get another PSU, i'm going to get a atx extention, cut the v1's and solder them right into the 12v's on the other side of the board (with pooky to keep any shorting. Then just plug the psu connector into the adapter.

board is fine. its been through some insane OC's and chugged along beautifully.

I still wonder if corsair will take this back. the warranty sticker is not voided or broken, just some...juryrigging on the connector (I may post pictures later). Would be great if I could get another one, but this would be my second TX850 replacement and i bet they will start to call BS on me
        Last edited by Uranium-235; 06-21-2012, 05:09 AM.

Comment

What I meant is that the connector on the board could be toast (pun very much intended).

I'd probably remove the 285s, and use a low end card, and then see if it will boot up with the 430W.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

yeah, it probably is, which is why I'm considering the soldering option. i'm not the only one who has done this before

EVGA actually makes this neat little adapter that takes a molex connector that plugs into x1 PCI-E to provide addition 12V support to the PCI-E bus power system, which is the problem here

Comment

If you're no longer going to be using the plug to provide 12V power on the ATX connector, then I'd try to get 3 or 4 wires and connectors coming off the bottom, otherwise, it's just gonna melt the adapters. AFAIK, molex connector pins have a slightly lower current limit than ATX conector pins (5A vs 6A).

Comment

but you see it doesn't SUPPORT it by ITSELF, it provides ADDITIONAL support to the 12v1s by providing additional amps directly to the PCI-E from a different rail.

this is what i'm talking about

http://www.techpowerup.com/136908/EV...Stability.html

Comment

How big of a PSU do you need? Would you mind paying shipping? I might have a spare PSU for you.

Comment

850 minimum, good quality

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't talking about the PCI-E power boost card. I was talking about modifying the ATX connector. I meant that if you're going to be relying only on the wires you solder on the bottom of the board to provide power, then you should have 3 or 4 wires there.

Comment

I guess 550w wouldn't be good enough. Nevermind then, sorry.

Comment

can't handle 2x XFX factory OC GTX 285's

Comment

You could always give them to me my 750W PSU in my main pc can handle them for sure :P
                            jk

Comment

hey question for everyone. do you think that in some PSU units, the shutoff from overcurrent can be based on heat? cause that psu had a large low flow fan on bottom...and I had a med flow usb fan practically attached to the back, blowing out the hot air

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                hey question for everyone. do you think that in some PSU units, the shutoff from overcurrent can be based on heat? cause that psu had a large low flow fan on bottom...and I had a med flow usb fan practically attached to the back, blowing out the hot air
                                Quite possible, I wouldn't see why not, as it would prevent the thing from catching on fire.

Comment

WELL !!#$@$#WR@#%#!$@#$@!#$@!#$@!#$@#$~@!$~$@!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I shorted the on pins on it and it worked now, put it in my motherboard, the pre-op lights came on. I turned it on. it turned off a few seconds later

smelled something burning. My GTX 285 is now dead

Comment

I wonder if your card could have been dying all along...

Comment

nope. I think I got the 2 12v1's switched around when I redid the connector, thats the only thing I can think of. Or the power supply is just so dead it put too much juice to it. Motherboard still works though. Managed to get a Thermaltake 430 and a gf6200 in there to prove that. All I need to do is fix the fucking atx connector, and try to rma this power supply. I'm tried looking into XFX rma but have found nothing but missing pages on thier website. Even if I were to I bet they could not send me this model, been too long

right now all I have is a box to play tribes ascend. C2D 6750 @ 2.9, 4gb ddr2, the living twin of the aforementioned video card. Thermaltake TR2 430. 160G sata I had stashed away in my media box. And win7. not gonna activate it since all I use it for is T:A, i'm just going to use easeus to make a small additional partition and copy the drivers and stuff and just do a fresh reinstall when the license runs out

Comment

well I opened it up. No burn marks, no burn holes on any mosfets, fuse is ok. Ugh, no way to tell what the fuck is bad

Comment

Working...
                                        X