Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Converting Spotlight Power Supply

Originally posted by sambul83 View Post
    Can you post a weblink to a similar booster to your "12VDC boost-converter brick" for laptop?
    Attached pix of one of those devices (I have several different ones from different manufacturers with different capabilities) along with a view showing the two power inlets (AC & DC). The button on the far right enables "high power mode" (apparently, not to be used on aircraft) for rapid charging of laptop's battery. (The labels are just my way of keeping track of which "bits" belong to which "devices".)

Another pix shows one of the "spotlights" I've modified for use in and around the car (note short coiled cord). It's biggest claim to fame is not size but, rather, that it has a built-in PWM "dimmer" (control visible on the top side of the lamp) so I can use it under the hood of the car without blinding myself!

Last pic shows one of the portable power packs along with the "charger" that came with it, originally. Note that the charger SOURCES power through a "lighter plug" -- much the same way that the battery pack sources its stored power through that lighter socket! And, a "bare battery" to give you an idea of what lies inside.
    Attached Files

Comment

how can taking 2 wires from an external power supply to a light bulb be so complicated ? add a capacitor ...

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
        add a capacitor ...
        It balances out your previous suggestion to buy a new lamp.

Comment

Q: How many posts does it take to light a light bulb?
          A: We still don't know yet.

Comment

well you could fit a shell with 4x AA nimh cells.
            lifespan in min's (single digits)

Comment

Technically with 4x AA NiMH at 2Ah, it would still last 30+ minutes, alas not as bright as the 6V SLA pack...

If you hooked up a boost SMPS so that the 4xAA NiMHs could supply 25W constant power through that halogen lamp, then that single digit minutes is to be expected.

---

In case anyone's baffled by the above, this is the rebuttal: 5x AA NiMH low ESR 2Ah cells may be the best solution: it would last slightly longer in runtime than the original SLA pack and should be just as bright. Question is only the number of charge/discharge cycles it could take before conking out again. If you were able to design a overdischarge prevention circuit, this would be a viable solution...
              Last edited by eccerr0r; 07-27-2018, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                Q: How many posts does it take to light a light bulb?
                A: We still don't know yet.
                While people are willing to contribute good ideas to the topic, there is no reason for the thread to be finalized, even if the topic seems exhausted. In fact, this is one of threads where OP direct questions were in fact directly answered and the solution found, which is not always the case. Meaning its more useful than average for future readers.

What would be a good Spotlight to evenly lite up from one end a 5-10m 1.5x1.5 ft narrow square tunnel or pipe to take periodic short videos? The spotlight must entirely fit inside the tunnel. Ideally be flexible to insert it from a small angled pass, possibly through a small diameter side opening in the tunnel. Needed for sci-fi experiments.
                Last edited by sambul83; 07-27-2018, 04:28 PM.

Comment

What would be a good Spotlight to evenly lite up from one end a 5-10m 1.5x1.5 ft narrow square tunnel or pipe to take periodic short videos? The spotlight must entirely fit inside the tunnel. Ideally be flexible to insert it from a small angled pass, possibly through a small diameter side opening in the tunnel. Needed for sci-fi experiments.
                  "Evenly light up" is one of those delightfully non-technical phrases that means absolutely nothing! Radiation (of all wavelengths) drops off with distance so the intensity near the "emitter" will invariably be greater than at any distance from it. (i.e., an inverse square relationship)

Run a fluorescent tube down the exact center of that space for the most "even" lighting distribution. :-/

Comment

I wonder if this LED strip will do the job? Steel wire or plastic tube may be used to push it along the tunnel, unless uneven non-smooth cement walls prevent movement. I wonder if brightness 20-30LM at power 20W at 5m length of cold white strip is bright enough to lit the tunnel sufficiently well for video recording by a small cam without night vision? This is a costlier NeoFlex of German origin.
                    Last edited by sambul83; 07-27-2018, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                      Insert your ammeter into the circuit to see exactly how much power is being drawn by the lamp (power = volts * amps) at that 5V level.
                      Since the thread is apparently still alive, let me interrupt your happy exchange with more relevant info. The modded spotlight draws 3A at 5.4V with both lamps lit, meaning at 6V it'll draw 2.7A. The adapter is slightly heatup now, I wonder if it limits the passing current as its a Buffalo Wireless router adapter, i.e. smarter than generic CN gear? The main lamp is likely a bit lower power rated than 25W figure I found on the web, unless the adapter limits power, possibly to prevent "router" damage? I'm hesitant to test the spotlight with a 12V adapter.
                      Last edited by sambul83; 07-29-2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

The modded spotlight draws 3A at 5.4V with both lamps lit, meaning at 6V it'll draw 2.7A.
                        As there is no constant power regulator, the draw will be 3.3A at 6V. This is actually less than the 25W figure.
                        I'm hesitant to test the spotlight with a 12V adapter.
                        You should be. It will immolate with that voltage if the power brick can supply the current.

Comment

The modded spotlight draws 3A at 5.4V with both lamps lit, meaning at 6V it'll draw 2.7A.
                          Only "approximately".

The 3A figure suggests that the resistance of the lamp filament is about 1.8 ohms (5.4V/3A) AT THAT FILAMENT TEMPERATURE. If this remains substantially unchanged, at 6V you'll see 6V/1.8ohm= 3.3A.

Said another way, at 5.4V you're dissipating 16.2W (5.4*3) in the lamp. At 6V, you may see 20W (6*3.3). As this will likely raise the temperature of the filament, it's resistance may climb a bit leaving you with slightly lower current/power consumption.

The adapter is slightly heatup now, I wonder if it limits the passing current as its a Buffalo Wireless router adapter, i.e. smarter than generic CN gear? The main lamp is likely a bit lower power rated than 25W figure I found on the web, unless the adapter limits power, possibly to prevent "router" damage?
                          The adapter likely has some form of current limiting built in (assuming it is a regulated supply). This will be obvious if it really is a "6V" adapter yet is only developing 5.4V at that load current.

"Heating up" suggests the adapter is already "working hard" (for its capacity).

For a short term test, you can momentarily put 6V of battery (even 4 "D" cells) to act as a supercap on the output of the 6V power supply and connect the lamp to check the actual current draw at 6V. I.e., the bulk of the power is delivered by the adapter with the batteries (quickly depleting) to satisfy the shortfall.

(This assumes the adapter really is trying to deliver 6.0V and the battery pack is roughly the same nominal voltage)

Once you know what the lamp draws AT the rated voltage, you will know how large the adapter needs to be to ensure it supplies enough power for the lamp without sagging.

[Sorry, I can't think of any alternative suggestions for a handy 6V power source... maybe a motorcycle battery?? Surgery on a 12V battery to expose the connections between cells 3&4?]

N.B. This sort of thing is the motivation for "collecting" various wall warts/bricks. I keep 4 boxes (approx the size of a case of beer) labeled 5V, 12V, <12V (i.e., 5-12) and >12V and just replace the connector, as necessary, to get the configuration that I need.
                          Last edited by Curious.George; 07-29-2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                            I keep 4 boxes (approx the size of a case of beer) labeled 5V, 12V, <12V (i.e., 5-12) and >12V and just replace the connector, as necessary, to get the configuration that I need.
                            Power adapter I use now is 5V rated, but it actually heats up more when hooked to the Buffalo router compare to the lamp. Can someone link a cheap power supply in 2-5A range with manually adjustable voltage that can feed the lamp and other similar things in 5-12V range?

Also, can you guys link a very bright low cost compact flashlight as a replacement of this spotlight? I don't care about "tactical military" marketing crap, just real high LM figure.
                            Last edited by sambul83; 07-30-2018, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Lets move the discussion about power grids in US and UK to a separate thread it deserves. Otherwise it creates chaos in this thread as obvious offtop making it hard to find useful info on topic for any reader. Asked the moderator to separate threads.
                              Last edited by sambul83; 07-30-2018, 09:14 AM.

Comment

New thread is here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71018
                                Please stj and Curious.George try to not derail threads, it's 30°C here and I could be at the beach instead of this
                                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                                X