Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic TC-P60ST30 - 7 blinks, then 8

Hey all:

I have a Panny Plasma P60ST30 that died with the 7 blinks-o-death. I opened it up and removed the power and ribbon cables from the SC board (Part #5399AB). When I powered it up again I got 8 blinks. What is this telling me? I've seen posts and videos about 7 blinks going to 6 when the SC board is disconnected, but what does 8 mean?

Thanks for any assistance!

Re: Panasonic TC-P60ST30 - 7 blinks, then 8

See here the blinks description.
    It seems it has a problem with SS board (too). Did you disconnect the SC for sure? Maybe you got it mixed with SS?
    Last edited by WildPuppy; 03-31-2018, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WildPuppy View Post
      See here the blinks description.
      It seems it has a problem with SS board (too). Did you disconnect the SC for sure? Maybe you got it mixed with SS?
      Thanks for the reply!

It is certainly possible I've mixed something up - where can I find a schematic?

Comment

You can try to search HERE or just Google it.
        A quick search resulted in THIS and THIS for your model. When the page is opened, it will show "This file is downloadable free of charge: processing..." just under the preview. After 20 seconds or so, the "processing..." will change automatically to the PDF download link.

From what I know, the GT30 ST30 and VT30 chip-sets have similar schematics with main differences being on the processor board, but I am no guru here so don't take this to be true by default. I was true in the case of my TX-P42VT30E.
        Last edited by WildPuppy; 04-01-2018, 03:06 AM.

Comment

From what I know, the GT30 ST30 and VT30 chip-sets have similar schematics with main differences being on the processor board, but I am no guru here so don't take this to be true by default. I was true in the case of my TX-P42VT30E.
          OK, this tells me that I disconnected SC2 and SC20. With those unplugged my 7 blinks went to 8.

So I should be looking at the SS board now, too? Ugh...

Comment

From what I make of the check procedure, the step about removing those 2 connectors is about eliminating the SC and SU/SD as potential problems and yes, according to the manual, your problem seems to be SS related.
            As I have not had a problem (yet) with the SS board on my TV, I have only studied my own SN board (combination of SC, SU and SD on one big board) schematic.
            I wish I could help more but I prefer to leave you to other more experienced users to help. I wouldn't want to give you bad advice.

Comment

You will want to check over the sc board for shorts. With sc2 disconnected check that connector first for short. Then check the surface mounted fets. The ones probably in question with have 30f131 printed on them or dg301. If no shorts are found on the sc board then check the ss board for shorts.

Comment

Originally posted by nicholas1110 View Post
                You will want to check over the sc board for shorts. With sc2 disconnected check that connector first for short. Then check the surface mounted fets. The ones probably in question with have 30f131 printed on them or dg301. If no shorts are found on the sc board then check the ss board for shorts.
                Finally got to spend some quality time with the TV and the multimeter - I could find no shorts in the FETs.

Now what?

Comment

Did you check SC board only? You should check all the FET's in the SS board too as the next possible culprit in the same manner as you did with the SC board by nocholas1110's advice (disconnected and checking the same kind of parts).

Comment

Did you check SC board only? You should check all the FET's in the SS board too as the next possible culprit in the same manner as you did with the SC board by nocholas1110's advice (disconnected and checking the same kind of parts).
                    Yes, I checked both - no shorts. Does that point to the SU/SD boards?

Comment

I think you can also check the output going to the sc2 connector.... BUT be careful as it is high voltage. With it unplug, your meter should see it rise then drop when the 8 flash shows up... I think.

Comment

I have only limited experience with plasma (still working on a tcp50s30)... anyways, there is a plasma 2011 guide available within some of the threads on here. Based on that, I don't think you can follow your trouble codes the way you are trying to do it by disconnecting boards. Yes, the first code that the SOS puts out is a "good" indicator and those tests / checks in and around that particular code need to be followed. If you remove a board, then I am not sure that the code system then will point to reliable "information"... so I don't think the 8 is valid. Further, just because there were no shorts (depending on what you checked), there are other components that can fail that generate the "7" code.

Comment

You mean this guide?
                          GREAT reading, at least for me...
                          All hail tw2005

Attached Files

Comment

Yep.

Comment

You mean this guide?
                              GREAT reading, at least for me...
                              Very helpful - thank you!

Comment

Your 8 blink diagnosis is not reliable because you removed the SC board from the circuit. The 8 blink actually means you are having a problem in that area with the sc board / su / sd. Original will be 7 blinks because of either 3 boards that are shorted.

Put the SC20 cable and powerconnector cable back in the sc board.
                                Remove the screws from the SU/SD board and put something like a cloth/newspaper between the SU/SD and SCboard so the bufferboards dont touch the sc boards.

Put a screw or harddisk jumper on the white SC50 connector so the pins are shorted and turn the tv on. Again make sure the SU/SD boards are NOT connected to the sc board.
                                The SC50 connector is a small white connector top left on the board.
                                If you still get 7 blinks the SC board is bad. If the set turns on without a image you got a problem with the SU/SD or the panel.
                                I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I went through the 7 Blinks flowchart in the PDF and, if I'm reading this correctly, it is now saying that my A board is faulty.

Following the flowchart on slide 70, here is what I did: I disconnected SC20 and C20 and powered on the TV. The flow chart asks, "Does the TV stay on with a black screen?". Mine did not - it started up, turned off and went back to 7 blinks, so I followed the "No" side. The flowchart then has me unplug the TV, reconnect SC20 and C20 and test Vsus voltage at pin 1 of the SC board when powering on the TV. When I powered on the TV again, I saw voltage come up and then drop off. According to the flowchart that means "Replace the A board".

Does that sound correct?

Comment

No not really because A board can give a mis diagnosis of the fault and you need to measure and not really follow the flowchart. Flowchart is to point you in a direction , it is not giving you the answer right away.

95% of all these models give 7 blinks because of a bad sc board. I know because i repaired alot of them.

Do you have a multimeter? If so please put it in continuity mode ( beep ) and measure the 6 fets on the SC board. They are above the 3 black capacitors and probably labeled as Q401 / 402 / 403 etc.

Probes on the OUTER legs , beep is bad.

Did you do my other test? Short SC50 connector and turn the tv on without the buffer boards.
                                    Last edited by Moreno83; 04-20-2018, 11:27 AM.
                                    I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Originally posted by Moreno83 View Post
                                      No not really because A board can give a mis diagnosis of the fault and you need to measure and not really follow the flowchart. Flowchart is to point you in a direction , it is not giving you the answer right away.

95% of all these models give 7 blinks because of a bad sc board. I know because i repaired alot of them.

Do you have a multimeter? If so please put it in continuity mode ( beep ) and measure the 6 fets on the SC board. They are above the 3 black capacitors and probably labeled as Q401 / 402 / 403 etc.

Probes on the OUTER legs , beep is bad.

Did you do my other test? Short SC50 connector and turn the tv on without the buffer boards.
                                      I didn't find anything labeled Q401, etc. But I did see and test DG301 and they were fine.

I did the test where SC50 is shorted and the ground screws are removed and the boards were separated with some note cards and I got 7 blinks again.

I then followed the SU/SD/SC Short Circuit/Low Resistance Test flowchart and saw low resistance (about 150 Ohms) when testing IC724 with SC41/SU41 disconnected. With both SC41/SU41 and SC42/SD42 disconnected I saw no short and infinite resistance. I then connected only SC41/SU41 (leaving SC42/SD42 disconnected) and saw around 1600 Ohms.

I believe this says the SD board is bad?
                                      Last edited by wrzl; 04-23-2018, 10:10 PM.

Comment

can you clarify your statements again. "ground screws removed".... only on the sd/sc cards, right? IF so, then it does appear that your SD has an issue (my read).

For my own info (I am working a 50s30 for the first time), are you seeing "short" from sc46 to ground screws? I "strobe" across those and all points are short... I assume this a "ground path" connector but don't find those further in the sd board (only lightly looking).

On my set, I see only high resistance on ic724 in all "test modes" (sc 41 connected or disconnected, same for sc42).

On my set, the "regular offenders" of blown 30f131's plus a couple of others "3 legged" (q601?, ?). I am still waiting on some parts so I am just following your thread ( I have one going when I go further).

Comment

Working...
                                        X