Add component to lock sata ports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add component to lock sata ports?

ok, well the story is, the dfi NF3 250GB UT has 4 sata ports, 2 on the NB, two on a marvel chip.

BUT, the 2 sata ports on the marvel controller only function to 245HTT on every board.

DFI has confirmed it is because they are not locked. so this is a hardware limit, not a bios limit.

now, examining the area, there is a missing crystal very close by. my thought is they removed it to save on costs.

so im wondering if i added it back in, could i lock those 2 sata ports? as i need them locked to be usefull since i run 350+htt.

here is a photo of the area.

Attached Files
    Specs
    DFI AM2 LANPARTY UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G
    X2 3800+EE AM2
    2x1GB OCZ PC2-6400 Platinum XTC
    XFX 7900GS
    Maxtor 6L250S0
    Maxtor 6V300F0
    Western Digital WD2500JS
    Mushkin HP-550(Cap/Filter Modded)

Cooling
    Swiftech Apogee
    Swiftech MCW-60
    Swiftech MCP-600
    HardwareLabes Black Ice Extreme 2

Re: Add component to lock sata ports?

May be it is possible to give that chip his own freq, but the question is, if the interface is capable to handle the difference without BIOS or desing adjustment. In any way, only put in the quarz i suspeckt won`t make a ckock generator. therefore i think you have to look into the app note of the chip and add the necesariy components too. but in any way, i think it is an 50% thing, if you can solder and read app notes you may be can try it. Don`t think that there could anything be dammage.

Comment

Ok if I get what your up to others are doing it via the locked SATA ports.

Anyway agree with Gonzo0815,

The Xtal (crystal) alone does not an oscillator make

You will most likely need to fill the positions of C676,C675 and possibly R501

These are the only empty positions I can see close to the Xtal position
      (and look like they would partly fill the bill for a pierce type osc, other part may be on the chip...
      thats if it is a pierce type osc being used
      sent you pm with a link to a pdf doc on this type of oscillator HTH)

probably have to mod the chip to use the osc, really not sure but thats my guess
      I don't have a pdf on the marvel chip so no idea of whats in the box.

I would first as Gonzo0815 advises, get hold of the application notes for the chip.

I would then try and find if what you want to do has been done before with this MB on the net,
      it seems that a few people will have gone down this idea road from a few posts I read
      but I haven't found one as yet on what you want to do.
      (no point in trying to re invent the wheel if someone has a workable solution)

I guess a lot really depends on Why they didn't use it an how they they build
      the rest of the MB function wise in relation to it...anyway

I think you will be up for more work to get it to work
      (if its possible to get it to work)
      but hope for you its as simple as using the right values components
      and perhaps lifting a leg of the marvel chip and tieing it either high or low

If I do come across more info will post.

Good luck with it and be careful...... take you time and think it through
      You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

After some searching
        pm you some links....not of any real help

The situation from what I can see is not looking good for you having success with this....
        as there seems to be quite a few posts out there and the problem is well known by the looks of it.

So if there was a fix I am sure it would have spread like wild fire through the net...
        As I am sure some hardcore OC gurus have looked into this problem.

shook the google tree, but no pdf's on the marvel chip or a possible solution fell out fell out

but you never know I guess, I may just be reading the wrong posts.

Who knows you maybe the one to crack it
        You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Working...
        X