Nvidia Quadro performance/noise issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia Quadro performance/noise issues

I bought a Wacom Cintiq 21UX that had about two dozen lines of garbage pixels so the LCD controllers are starting to age. It was $40 reardless.
    Anyways, the screen is plugged into a PCI Quadro NVS 55/280 and I have noticed two problems so far (besides Wacom again being a bag of shit and changing their pen operating frequencies).
    The first is that some applications are not behaving well. If In open a session of Minecraft on the screen the window does not redraw but will work fine if dragged over to one of my other two monitors (which are driven by a Radeon HD3850 AGP).
    The second thing is that if I move things like windows around on the Cintiq screen I will get noise out of the speakers. It's almost the same thing I was getting (and still am to a degree) when I was having issues with my firewire card. Again however if I drag the element such as a window off the cintiq screen the noise goes away.
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Re: Nvidia Quadro performance/noise issues

Okay.
    So I went and removed all hardware with the exception fo the bare essentials and removed any drivers that could be easily pulled, then cleaned out everything else in safe mode so that on the next reboot it would reload all the drivers it could. I then added all my PCI cards in one at a time and booted the system each time to check for resource conflicts or other issues. During so I rooted out that the other two internal USB headers had died so that cleared another unrelated issue. I also swapped the slots for the audio and the quadro around in case that did anything.
    After all that was settled I reattached all external devices and did one last fresh boot before reloading any other drivers.
    So now the system was in a state where everything was working and the audio was crystal clear. The only thing I had not yet don was extend my desktop to the cintiq. I played an audio track and then extended the desktop and the instant I applied the settings the speakers began spewing out noise, redraw speeds went to hell and the CPU usage spiked. Disabling the cintiq as a monitor made the issues go away instantly.

The card shares IRQ 19 with two USB controllers and firewire but that's all it seems but something is really wrong.
    Find Nedry!

Comment

must be one of those oddball nvidia issues... possibly related to the geforce 8 issues?
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

From waht I am reading up there is no know reported issues witht he Quadro driver.
        Find Nedry!

Comment

using nVidia drivers and ATI drivers on the same system...so maybe it's a driver conflict?
          and I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who plays Minecraft around here :P

Comment

iirc weirdlookinguy has a minecraft server either planned or operational. he is an avid player.
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

It's awesome to have your own Minecraft server!
              Esp. in Creative Mode on the server...
              super cool!

Comment

Avid player? Nah, not to that extent. I do like the game alot though. My server is fully operational now, if anybody want to come on and play PM me for the address.

Comment

Have you tried swapping it with one of your other monitors?

Comment

Plugging it into one of the two DVI ports on my Radeon does not cause a performance hit. Only as soon as the Nvidia card is enabled does the hit come in.
                    I could try lookign around for an ATI PCI video card. Tough part is finding one that has at least 64mb onboard. By the time we were hitting that kind of VRAM we were already using AGP.
                    Find Nedry!

Comment

First off try and not type in a book of info people have to read through to see what the problem is.

From what I read you have 2 cards 1 is AGP and the other you dont say but my guess is PCI (since I have never seen a AGP + PCI-Express board).

For starters your AGP Card will own your PCI card (as far as system speed) because AGP is faster than PCI so make your AGP card the primary card.

You can mix ATI and Nvidia but do them in steps.

From a fresh install do the AGP first and install all the updates etc.

Then add the PCI card and run all the updates it wants.

Don't be in a hurry or you will end up feking yourself and having to start over.

Comment

Working...
                      X