Dropped laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dropped laptop

Then the screen is fine - you have the classic nvidia GPU failure instead.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Did you clean the toilet seat after you were done?
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
        Then the screen is fine - you have the classic nvidia GPU failure instead.
        Would that explain the "code 43" error I keep getting after installing the nVidia drivers?
        It seems to work okay without the driver working. I'm watching high definition movies and everything on it. No lines or artefacts either.
        Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

There's no problems with the GPU.

Be more specific with the model, I can point you to the correct driver.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
            There's no problems with the GPU.

Be more specific with the model, I can point you to the correct driver.
            The GPU is an nvidia 8600GS M. The laptop is a Medion 97310. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on it. I downloaded and installed the newest Windows 7 x64 nvidia driver for the 8600GS M and well, I got an error code 43. Irony is that I'm running it full resolution at 1440x900 and I'm able to watch movies on it and let it function like a flawless normal computer. I'm just annoyed because I can't get Aero to run because obviously the drivers won't load.
            Other than that issue of aero, every thing else is sweet!
            Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
              Would that explain the "code 43" error I keep getting after installing the nVidia drivers?
              It seems to work okay without the driver working. I'm watching high definition movies and everything on it. No lines or artefacts either.
              Yes. Working without the nVidia drivers installed is also a common issue when the GPU is on its way out. But now that you mention - don't get drivers from nVidia directly, they won't work on mobile chips. Try here: http://laptopvideo2go.com/ If those don't work either then the GPU is bad.
              Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 02-08-2012, 10:09 AM.
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Yes. Working without the nVidia drivers installed is also a common issue when the GPU is on its way out. But now that you mention - don't get drivers from nVidia directly, they won't work on mobile chips. Try here: http://laptopvideo2go.com/ If those don't work either then the GPU is bad.
                Oh really? I thought nVidia would at least make an effort to make their mobile drivers proper =.=

Comment

No, it's the computer maker's responsibility to provide driver updates. Which they usually don't.

For that GPU i recommend 185.85 Dox Optimized if it's still up there on laptopvideo2go, else google it and you'll likely find it. It's been working fine for over 2 years with my 8400M and has better performance than all other drivers i've tried (including other modded ones).
                  Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 02-08-2012, 10:19 AM.

Comment

No, it's the computer maker's responsibility to provide driver updates. Which they usually don't.
                    Nvidia has been providing generic mobile drivers for the GeForce 8 and up.

Comment

When i last checked they weren't providing any. Admittedly, i've been out of the GPU game for 3 years already.

Comment

Ah, I stand corrected. That GPU is indeed part of a defective generation.

Comment

Bad generation GPU? yes. Junk? no (if it is working).

Just be sure to keep the cooling clean, once every 6 months you should do a heatsink/fan cleaning (2-4 months if you have cats/dogs in the house). You should probably clean it NOW before you use for anything.
                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Okay, tried those drivers and still doesn't work. Looks like the nvidia issue is there. What's required to fix it? just get it reflowed right?

Comment

Okay, tried those drivers and still doesn't work. Looks like the nvidia issue is there. What's required to fix it? just get it reflowed right?
                              ("WRONG!" buzzer)

the chip itself is toast. RIP.

you got a free "for parts" laptop. as in the drives, battery, RAM, CPU, and odds/and ends for that model/series like the all valuable Drive caddies, display hinges, keyboard, etc.
                              sigpic

Comment

I managed to grab the 160GB HDD in there (still okay, no bad sectors etc.) and also the 4GB of DDR2 SODIMM for my iMac desktop so that I can run OSX Lion
                                No problems with either one.

Now I have a simple question. Laptop still works albeit for the graphics driver issue. If I use it just to play music every now and again it should be okay right? The inbuilt laptop speakers are awesome! Even has a little sub underneath... saves me from bringing speakers to seminar events...

Comment

I managed to grab the 160GB HDD in there (still okay, no bad sectors etc.) and also the 4GB of DDR2 SODIMM for my iMac desktop so that I can run OSX Lion
                                  No problems with either one.

Now I have a simple question. Laptop still works albeit for the graphics driver issue. If I use it just to play music every now and again it should be okay right? The inbuilt laptop speakers are awesome! Even has a little sub underneath... saves me from bringing speakers to seminar events...
                                  not relaible. the problem could worsen to no video at all (black screen).
                                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                    not relaible. the problem could worsen to no video at all (black screen).
                                    Hmm... okay. Not that I care about that since it's a freebie. Better than sitting in the corner doing nothing I suppose.
                                    I might wait and see how long it takes to die and then destroy it in some inhumane way. :P

Comment

I've got Vista Home basic on there now... so I'm just wondering... what's a good media player that's not itunes or WMP? Prefer something with a play list so I can just chuck this on the table at our stall on universities open day.

Comment

Foobar or winamp.

Comment

Windows Media Player is actually quite good...
                                          Great iTunes replacement.

Comment

Working...
                                          X