Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop only charges when off

Hi everyone,

I am a computer tech, but not really skilled in PCB's and component fault finding although I am good with a soldering iron.... I have tried everything to get a customers laptop to charge, reinstalled OS, bought a new battery, new HDD reinstalled/reseated memory and CPU, disassembled laptop and replaced all heat transfer paste, checked plugs and sockets you get the idea, I am almost convinced that it is the charging circuit on the motherboard, but that's where my skills are limited. Anyone know what components on the motherboard are responsible for charging? or what may need replacing.

The battery charges fully when the laptop is switched off, and it runs fine when plugged in but if you unplug it the battery depletes as it should but will not charge until you switch it off again.

Look forward to the responses.

Thanks
    Greg

Re: Laptop only charges when off

Tried another AC adapter? (compatible with the machine obviously)
    Also be aware that there are a lot of garbage batteries on the market lately. Not that uncommon to get 2 bad batteries in a row.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

You need to check all the fets connected to charging circuit. If everything seems fine, then need to probe charging ic.

Btw, i dont think battery is faulty as it charges offline and gives backup also. though still it can be faulty but not very likely to be so.

Comment

yesterday have one lenovo with just this problem. somebody changed charging connector cable but id pin was in wrong position/from another laptop with same connector/

i just change position of id pin and everything works. so u should concentrate on id pin

and offcourse u must post board type and mark
        Last edited by ktmmotocross; 06-25-2019, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Sorry,
          Forgot to mention, that I did purchase an original HP spare laptop charger for this model,
          mcplslg123 you mentioned to look at the charging IC, can you describe what it looks like or what kind of case style it might be? Thanks

Comment

you have not mentioned laptop model/mb markings-so its difficult to say which charging ic it uses. It is closely located near battery connector in most mobo's.

Comment

get schematic and concentrate on ID pin circuit

Comment

Laptop only charges when off

Sorry,
                Model: HP Pavillion DV6 Laptop
                Board: HP 181B 52.24
                BIOS: F2E
                I7 3610QM
                running win 10 8gb ram

Comment

Originally posted by Electrix78 View Post
                  Hi everyone,

I am a computer tech, but not really skilled in PCB's and component fault finding although I am good with a soldering iron.... I have tried everything to get a customers laptop to charge, reinstalled OS, bought a new battery, new HDD reinstalled/reseated memory and CPU, disassembled laptop and replaced all heat transfer paste, checked plugs and sockets you get the idea, I am almost convinced that it is the charging circuit on the motherboard, but that's where my skills are limited. Anyone know what components on the motherboard are responsible for charging? or what may need replacing.

The battery charges fully when the laptop is switched off, and it runs fine when plugged in but if you unplug it the battery depletes as it should but will not charge until you switch it off again.

Look forward to the responses.

Thanks
                  Greg

How is the charging indicator in windows?
                  plugged in not charging / plugged in charging
                  and make sure the adaptor is suitable
                  check the amperage of the adaptor output ( sticker on the adaptor )
                  and also check for the amperage input for the notebook ( sticker below the notebook )
                  or you could test with other tested good adaptor friend.
                  I suspect the adaptor amperage is lower than it needed to be "charge while power on state"

Comment

Hey Zhang,

Laptop shows as plugged in not charging, I bought a 120w charger original HP spare part, the laptop only asks for a 90w so this should be more than enough to charge it. I have tried reinstalling back to win7 on a new HDD no luck at all

Thanks Greg

I think as mentioned by ktmmotocross I will concentrate on the ID circuit, and will post the results when I find something.

Comment

Working...
                    X