Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Caps to a socket 478 MB

Hi Everyone,

Recently I have been reading in another forum about adding caps in parallel to S478 motherboards in preparation to overclock the power robbing Prescott CPU.

The reason for this mod is to stabalize the power supply the the vcore and the board itself.

I cannot find anyone who can give me a reasonable explanation on how exactly to go about this.

If I was to add these caps would I use the same voltage and capacitance as the existing ones on the board?

I know I would solder them to the existing connections and mod the tray to make the board fit.

By the way the board is an ASUS P4C800e-Deluxe

Thanks

Caps placed in parallel will add to the capacitance:

2-2200uF caps in parallel will = 4400uF

2-2200uF caps in series will = 1100uF

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_13/4.html

That may mess up the circuit since it is probably designed for only a certain range of capacitance.

MD
    Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

You can either solder them to the back like you suggested, in which case it's a trivial soldering job, but you have to modify the case, or you can desolder the current capacitors and replace them with larger ones. (larger capacity, and not surprisingly, larger size). This would require a bit more soldering skill, but won't require modifications to the case. Make sure you buy low-ESR caps! Using a high-esr cap twice the size is still probably worse than the stock caps...

If you're putting them in parallel, it doesn't matter what the capacitance of the new ones is, as long as the voltage rating is sufficient. Also make sure you use the correct polarity; I've heard of people getting confused when working on the back side of the board, and exploding their capacitors...

--Randy

Comment

I'm not sure that a larger size cap would fit on the board.

Sorry I'm a bit new to all this.

If I attach them in parrallel should I use the same voltage rating and ?????? (suggestions for capacitance)

Yes I have read to use low ESR caps

Comment

Working...
        X