Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad fans (stock intel E21** hsf - nidec)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad fans (stock intel E21** hsf - nidec)

halo friends,

is there any of you who experience the failing of nidec fans on stock intel hsf?
    i got three nidec fans failing on the office computers. sorry, pic will come later..

i would appreciate what you found or your opinions. TIA.
    days are so short when you actually do something..

Re: Bad fans (stock intel E21** hsf - nidec)

Any fan is hit or miss.... Typically if things get too hot, any of those plastic fans will crap out.

Comment

interesting.
      the only boxed S775 fans that died for me were the superflat all aluminium ones with Foxconn 0.14A Fans (with characteristic sharp-edged fan blades)

they look and feel *really* cheap, and none of them lasted more than a couple months out in the field... -.-

on the other hand, the same type boxed fans with Nidec 0.20A fans and the big fan blades lasted forever..

i usually keep looking on ebay or something to get old P4 era S775 boxed heatsinks. you know.. the thicker ones with copper cores and the old Intel logo.

quiet (PWM controlled, no buzzing noises) and reliable.

seems like intel went really cheap with the last gen. S775 boxed coolers.. (especially those with the pushpins held by the fan plastic, i.e. the aluminium heatsink itself has no mountings for the pushpins)

Comment

I have never seen an Intel stock CPU fan fail before. The problem I have with the Core xx stock coolers is that the heatsinks are about 1cm tall and don't provide very good cooling. We've had problems at work with Core i5 CPUs overheating using their stock coolers. Whenever we build systems with Core i5 CPUs, we use aftermarket coolers.
        Last edited by c_hegge; 04-28-2010, 05:13 AM.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

There used to be a company that built awesome fans.. Sanyo Denky, or something like that. Metal center pole, and center guides. They were awesome, and could handle serious heat. Haven't seen them in years. The "cpu fan" market is catered to well ventilated and air conditioned areas.

Delta is also an awesome replacement fan. You can get them at Frozen CPU. I have used one panaflow to good results, but haven't used a lot.

Comment

I've found Nidec fans to be of good quality. Delta, AVC, and Sanyo Denki too.

Be careful of using Panaflo fans on Intel boards. The motors in the them result in a noticeable "tick tick tick" sound if used on an Intel board with any sort of fan control. Panaflo fans are great on other boards though, or if you're not using fan control on Intel. Maybe newer intel boards have better fan control, but the ticking is present on 478 and early 775 boards.

I contacted Intel once about a rather noisy CPU fan. They will replace the fan if in the 3 year warranty period. However, if it's out of warranty, they offer no option to purchase a replacement fan. Of course, most of them (in my experience) don't fail within 3 years as they are usually decent quality ball-bearing fans. This was a few years back, so things may have changed since.

This leaves no option but to buy a replacement cooler, as the Intel fans are not your standard square fan. Keep in mind, it may be hard to find a cooler to fit that particular socket 3 years down the road. It seems it's just now the fans in some of my 478 builds are dying. There's not much left out there for quality 478 coolers.

Comment

You can still find Sanyo Denki under SanAce fans. Panaflo is just NMB. Nidec are awesome as always. All the nidec's I have are either made in japan or made in the USA.

Comment

I've only had one Intel 775 fan die and it went up in smoke - not sure why. Customer phoned up and said one of their computers was on fire.

Comment

Working...
                X