Avaya IP Conference Phone (Polycom)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avaya IP Conference Phone (Polycom)

So the other night, they were having a wine and cheese in our large boardroom, so they cleared it out. Next day when they set it back up, our expensive Avaya IP conference phone (one of those Klingon bird of prey types actually made by Poly com) wouldn't work.
    It flashed on and off. 'course everyone thought it was dropped, or mis-handled, or plugged in wrong.
    I took one look and saw classic switch-mode power supply problems.
    I measured the output, 19.2v no-load, pulsing 19.2 down to 4v with the phone plugged in.

Took the supply home, and cracked it open.
    Oh, look! a bad Crapxon 330uf 35v cap. Who'd have thunk.
    It measures 10uf and 11ohms esr out of circuit.

Will take it back tomorrow and try it.
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Re: Avaya IP Conference Phone (Polycom)

Dontcha just love expensive devices built with shit quality parts? See this as well.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

From the "oh shit" dept:

Tried it, 0 output.
      Had a close look at my soldering, no problem, naturally, I've been soldering since '72
      Looked again, and it appears that I cracked the circuit board when I was breaking open the case. I fixed a few obvious broken traces, still nothing.
      Time for some real troubleshooting now. Will check under better magnification, then start measuring voltages, hopefully I didn't toast anything powering it on with broken traces.
      So much for a 10 minute $2.00 repair....
      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

you canadian's need to learn that a chainsaw is not a universal tool!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          you canadian's need to learn that a chainsaw is not a universal tool!
          LOL!

I actually squeezed it in a vise to crack open the seal of the housing, my chainsaw is in the shop
          Unfortunately, I did it after a few Molsons , and wasn't careful enough.
          I now know why I heard a crack, but the housing wasn't opening.

No worries, I inspected under magnification, and have repaired the 4 cracked traces. It is now outputting 19.iforget volts.

Comment

Hooray.

If things came to it, sounds like you could have substituted a laptop power supply in a pinch.

Comment

Molson?
              mmm - we used to get Molson "ice beer" for a while.
              then canada stopped exporting it - so we sent george galloway over to teach your government a lesson!

Comment

Working...
              X