Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acer V193W No display/Light, odd ticking from boards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer V193W No display/Light, odd ticking from boards...

So I got this Acer from the scrap guy...

It's a Widescreen...Looks about 18", even though it says it's 19".

The original issue was a buldging/blown 10v 1000uf Cap, and after replacing it, I thought it would turn right on...

On closer inspection I saw a lot of white residue on the back of the graphic board, and what looked like lightly brown tinted liquid under the power board.

I attempted to clean the graphic board and any liquid residue around solder points on the power board.

Anyway, there are no other bad components as far as I can tell. Whenever I plug it in, it just ticks. A light tick from the boards, can't really tell where.

I've tried testing the CCFLs to see, and I'm not sure about 2 of them...But if I unplug the graphic cable from the back of the LCD panel...The CCFLs turn on and stay on if I have a VGA cable in there.

So I'm really thinking it's the graphic board, or maybe the LCD panel itself...Which would suck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Acer V193W No display/Light, odd ticking from boards...

Originally posted by InixPc View Post
    So I got this Acer from the scrap guy...

It's a Widescreen...Looks about 18", even though it says it's 19".

The original issue was a buldging/blown 10v 1000uf Cap, and after replacing it, I thought it would turn right on...

On closer inspection I saw a lot of white residue on the back of the graphic board, and what looked like lightly brown tinted liquid under the power board.

I attempted to clean the graphic board and any liquid residue around solder points on the power board.

Anyway, there are no other bad components as far as I can tell. Whenever I plug it in, it just ticks. A light tick from the boards, can't really tell where.

I've tried testing the CCFLs to see, and I'm not sure about 2 of them...But if I unplug the graphic cable from the back of the LCD panel...The CCFLs turn on and stay on if I have a VGA cable in there.

So I'm really thinking it's the graphic board, or maybe the LCD panel itself...Which would suck.

Any help would be appreciated.
    There are a number of possible causes, however the best approach would be to replace ALL caps with low ESR name brand caps such as Panasonic FR or FM series - with the possible exception of the largest one. in particular, one of the small (typically 22 - 100 uF, 50 Volt) caps can cause the problem you describe.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I was wondering if it might just be a bad cap on the graphic board...

There are 4 tiny ones, around the range you describe.

I'll give that a shot and break out the camera for pictures in case that doesn't work.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

I was wondering if it might just be a bad cap on the graphic board...

There are 4 tiny ones, around the range you describe.

I'll give that a shot and break out the camera for pictures in case that doesn't work.

Thanks for the help.
        Highly unlikely. Look, I don't have all the answers, but there are a limited number of reasons for that ticking sound. One is the startup cap for the power supply. Another is something drawing an excessive amount of current - a short. A third MIGHT be a reversed cap. The fact that it works when the panel is disconnected indicates there are no shorts on the signal board, and the caps on there are VERY unlikely to cause the problem.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
          Highly unlikely. Look, I don't have all the answers, but there are a limited number of reasons for that ticking sound. One is the startup cap for the power supply. Another is something drawing an excessive amount of current - a short. A third MIGHT be a reversed cap. The fact that it works when the panel is disconnected indicates there are no shorts on the signal board, and the caps on there are VERY unlikely to cause the problem.

PlainBill
          Hmmmm.

What really gets me is that after replacing the one cap, as long as the panel isn't connected to the graphic board...The LED turns blue, the CCFLs are steady and it looks as if it would display perfectly.

Every time I plug the flat ribbon cable into the rear of the panel assembly, the CCFLs die, the clicking starts, and the light turns orange.

I still have the two other cables running from the power board, to the graphic board, and a VGA cable in the connector for it. Just that the display ribbon isn't plugged into the LCD panel.

I hope that makes the issue a bit more clear. Sorry for any confusion because of my rushed post earlier.

A short sounds about right, but where it is, and how to fix it? As I said, there was some kind of white dust-like residue on the graphic board. I cleaned what I could from between any solder points.

I don't mean to throw this all at you Bill, you are just the only one responding.

I do appreciate your time, thanks again for helping.
          Last edited by InixPc; 12-05-2011, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Hmmmm.

What really gets me is that after replacing the one cap, as long as the panel isn't connected to the graphic board...The LED turns blue, the CCFLs are steady and it looks as if it would display perfectly.

Every time I plug the flat ribbon cable into the rear of the panel assembly, the CCFLs die, the clicking starts, and the light turns orange.

I still have the two other cables running from the power board, to the graphic board, and a VGA cable in the connector for it. Just that the display ribbon isn't plugged into the LCD panel.

I hope that makes the issue a bit more clear. Sorry for any confusion because of my rushed post earlier.

A short sounds about right, but where it is, and how to fix it? As I said, there was some kind of white dust-like residue on the graphic board. I cleaned what I could from between any solder points.

I don't mean to throw this all at you Bill, you are just the only one responding.

I do appreciate your time, thanks again for helping.
            The fact that the power supply won't start up when the LCD panel is connected is significant. The problem is determining why. There are two general categories of causes - something is drawing more current than the power supply is designed to produce, or the power supply is producing less power than designed.

Somewhere in one of my posts I described the troubleshooting of a 17" Samsung TV / Monitor. The initial problem was a slowly flashing power LED accompanied by a clicking sound from the speakers - it sounded like a heartbeat. The first step was testing the power brick under load - it cheerfully produced about 12V at 3A with no sign of a ripple. Internally, the 5V and 3.3V rails were both pulsing in time to the heartbeat - they were produced by individual bucking regulators. I hook up a bench supply adjusted for 12V and the monitor comes up, but there is a 'two seconds to black' problem. Checking the power brick, it's rated for 12V at 4A, but the actual no-load output is 13 volts. When I crank the bench supply up to 13 volts I have a perfectly working monitor/ TV.

Back to the power brick. Opening it up was a pain; extracting the circuit board was even worse. All caps look perfect, and their ESRs are approximately right. So I replace all filter caps, including the mains filter cap. Still the same problem, so I dig out a pound of glue and find the startup cap. Replacing that and I have a perfectly working TV/monitor.

What I found interesting was that the power brick was rated for 4A, the actual draw was about 3.5A when working, and it worked perfectly at a load of 3A.

PlainBill

Comment

Well, I'll have to run out and grab a multimeter then.

The other good thing, is that this Acer uses a regular Power cable...So I'm gathering that the Cap I'll be replacing will be easy to get to on the board at least.

That does make a lot of sense, as soon as the actual LCD screen starts pulling power, the whole thing shuts down because there isn't enough.

Errands today will include a stop off at RadioShack, and I'll update if I can locate the problem component.

Could it be the cap I replaced? The 10V 1000UF one I took off was a decent size...The one I replaced it with was smaller. Rated the same, but smaller around than the other one. First thing, I'm gonna dig for a bigger 10V 1000UF, try that...Then I'll grab the multimeter later today.

Once again, thanks for giving me the help I need to hopefully get this thing working.

And I realize that it is recommended to replace all the caps, I just don't have all matching ones to replace them all. So for the time being I'm trying to get it working until I order another Cap kit.

Comment

Could it be the cap I replaced?
                Without pictures, we are flying blind. We want pictures of all your boards with a top down view uploaded to this site using the manage attachments button. See my sig file below.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Errands today will include a stop off at RadioShack,
                  I must admit I haven't kept up on this thread, but the mention of RatShack is always guaranteed to get attention. I sincerely hope you aren't planning on using RatShack caps in your repair.
                  Friends don't let friends buy Samsung ....

Comment

No, I was going to see if they had a multi-meter so I didn't have to drive to Harbor Freight, next town over.

I would never use the caps there, not to mention I don't think they had the very first cap I called them for...So I ordered on Ebay and have ever since.

Didn't even end up making it, things always change at the last minute around here.

In response to retiredcaps...

I was hoping for some advice, areas to check, or a 'Yes', 'No' on the possibility of it being ____ . I don't really want someone else to fix it for me, ya know?

I don't want anyone to waste a bunch of time helping me, more than I need, when others may need the 'hands-on' approach.

I've done pretty well for myself without ever having cracked open a book on the subject. Tips from you Vets, steer me in the right direction, and I'll learn my way there. Get what I'm saying?

No disrespect, and I do appreciate the extra effort.

I will get some pictures though, as of now, the unit is in the closet. Re-arranged a lot of the office today.

Got my hands on an Optiquest 20" Widescreen last night, not sure what's up with it either. I'll be testing that as well...

Comment

No, I was going to see if they had a multi-meter so I didn't have to drive to Harbor Freight, next town over.

I would never use the caps there, not to mention I don't think they had the very first cap I called them for...So I ordered on Ebay and have ever since.

Didn't even end up making it, things always change at the last minute around here.

In response to retiredcaps...

I was hoping for some advice, areas to check, or a 'Yes', 'No' on the possibility of it being ____ . I don't really want someone else to fix it for me, ya know?

I don't want anyone to waste a bunch of time helping me, more than I need, when others may need the 'hands-on' approach.

I've done pretty well for myself without ever having cracked open a book on the subject. Tips from you Vets, steer me in the right direction, and I'll learn my way there. Get what I'm saying?

No disrespect, and I do appreciate the extra effort.

I will get some pictures though, as of now, the unit is in the closet. Re-arranged a lot of the office today.

Got my hands on an Optiquest 20" Widescreen last night, not sure what's up with it either. I'll be testing that as well...
                      For the power supply in a monitor, eBay is almost as bad a source as Radio Shack. With Radio Shack we know the caps are unsuitable, on eBay anything coming out of China (directly or indirectly) is also suspect. It has been reported that there is only one seller selling genuine caps, all others are counterfeit.

In the US, I suggest Mouser and Digi-Key. Digi-Key offers a USPS First Class Mail option that brings the shipping cost down to under $3.00.

PlainBill

Comment

I am not going to hijack this thread but just to say i am working on a 15 philips lcd tv and have the same (similar) problem. I am a complete amateur but signs suggest that it should be working but its not. No Back lights no sound but ticking and when I unplug the panel the backlights come on. I have prepared a blow by blow thread for my problem with pics and service manual but have not yet posted it as I find something new to try each day! Caps on the main board are all Rubycon so didnt even think they would be a problem but have now read that this tv runs very hot,so they have been cooking for 7 years and they are only rated at 85deg YK series?
                        I am going to replace them all (no esr meter to test) and if that doesnt work will ask for help.
                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                          For the power supply in a monitor, eBay is almost as bad a source as Radio Shack. With Radio Shack we know the caps are unsuitable, on eBay anything coming out of China (directly or indirectly) is also suspect. It has been reported that there is only one seller selling genuine caps, all others are counterfeit.

In the US, I suggest Mouser and Digi-Key. Digi-Key offers a USPS First Class Mail option that brings the shipping cost down to under $3.00.

PlainBill
                          Wow, I had no idea. I mean I choose my sellers with great ratings and lots of feedback...But I guess you're right, no real way to know.

I looked into Mouser once, but I'll check out Digi-Key, USPS shipping is helpful.

@ Selldoor - I'm sure all the vets here will tell you to replace with high temp (105C) high quality caps. They know better than I do, which manufacturers are the best. I tend to use what works, at least up until now.

I've even swapped out with used ones in a pinch. I wouldn't recommend it, but it worked and the monitor is still perfect almost a year later.

Though I think I'll be going the Digi-Key route, mostly for the shipping options. Would also save a lot of time searching Ebay for the fastest shipping.

Comment

Wow, I had no idea. I mean I choose my sellers with great ratings and lots of feedback...But I guess you're right, no real way to know.

I looked into Mouser once, but I'll check out Digi-Key, USPS shipping is helpful.

@ Selldoor - I'm sure all the vets here will tell you to replace with high temp (105C) high quality caps. They know better than I do, which manufacturers are the best. I tend to use what works, at least up until now.

I've even swapped out with used ones in a pinch. I wouldn't recommend it, but it worked and the monitor is still perfect almost a year later.

Though I think I'll be going the Digi-Key route, mostly for the shipping options. Would also save a lot of time searching Ebay for the fastest shipping.
                            I've ordered through Digi-Key several times and the order usually arrives in 2 to 3 days and the shipping is usually $2.50 to $3.00 by USPS. I've ordered on Sunday night, parts shipped out on Monday, and had the parts waiting for me when I got home from work on Wednesday.
                            Last edited by jayoung; 12-07-2011, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X