HP 1502 (P9617D) pulsing on and off with bad capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP 1502 (P9617D) pulsing on and off with bad capacitors

Thanks a lot for this thread. I also had the exact same board & now works great. Had 3 blown & 4 fat caps. The diode was cooked and turned to powder when I tried to remove, I replaced it with a 1 watt'er.

Comment

And another one to your credit. In my case the zener survived and seems to operate "as advertised", despite having scorched the board. Many thanks for great info.

Comment

where to buy caps online ?

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=613

Comment

si funciona le cambie los 7 filtros y ya funciona. gracias

Comment

Many thanks for the useful information here. I picked up a pair of HP1502 monitors at a HAM auction a week ago hoping I could get one working. The smaller caps were bulging in both so after a quick replacement, the first of the two refused to come to life. I couldn't find any schematics so took to tracing the circuit. The voltages of Zener diodes just didn't make any sense, so I decided to reverse the 7.5V SMD Zener on the hunch that a prior attempt at repair had gone wrong.

I now have two working hp1502 monitors!

Comment

The above solution still works on HP1502 LCD monitor (circa 2004).
                Replaced caps with what was available at Jaycar (Australia), matching Japlytic's values in the first post. Took about 20 minutes. Worked immedialey. One more LCD saved from the rubbish bin.

Comment

Wow thanks for this! Got given 2 x HP1502 monitors for free and just fixed one using the info from this thread. Now to fix the other one.

Thanks heaps.

Comment

wow great thread! my brothers monitor started showing the signs of blown caps as it wouldnt turn on and at the time i wasnt really savy with things like this so we just dumped it away in a cupboard but recently i found myself in need of another monitor so i pulled it out and started tinkering with it, i opened it up to find slightly puffy caps which needed changing and also a scorch mark on the board, thing is in this thread ive seen the same scorch mark on all of the pics posted, its right next to C933 and the heatsink looking thingy, (picture attatched) my caps are on the way in the post so i will be able to replace them soon but does anyone know if changing the caps will be enough? its just the burn is in a really random place, thanks in advance guys =] also awesome community here ^^ i stumbled across this place while looking for capacitors
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Demix
                      wow great thread! my brothers monitor started showing the signs of blown caps as it wouldnt turn on and at the time i wasnt really savy with things like this so we just dumped it away in a cupboard but recently i found myself in need of another monitor so i pulled it out and started tinkering with it, i opened it up to find slightly puffy caps which needed changing and also a scorch mark on the board, thing is in this thread ive seen the same scorch mark on all of the pics posted, its right next to C933 and the heatsink looking thingy, (picture attatched) my caps are on the way in the post so i will be able to replace them soon but does anyone know if changing the caps will be enough? its just the burn is in a really random place, thanks in advance guys =] also awesome community here ^^ i stumbled across this place while looking for capacitors
                      Stop and take a breath once in a while.

Scorch marks are common - they are caused by lack of a heat sink on the inverter driver transistors.

At a MINIMUM replace all bulging caps. Even smarter, replace any caps from manufacturers on the bad caps list . Best of all, replace all electrolytic caps (except the big 450V electrolytic) in the power supply. Replacing all caps will cost about $10 for parts.

PlainBill
                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the help. =]

Also my apologies for the lack of punctuation in my previous post. Im just a little flustered because the laptop im using is playing up at the moment. The processor is running at over 86'c :S . It actually burns my wrists if I take too long typing hehe :P, really not a good thing.

Also thanks, i have ordered enough capacitors to replace all of the ones on the list =] once again thanks a lot for the help. When I recieve and replace the caps I will post again with my results.

Comment

Hey Again, as ive never done anything like this before i just wanted to check if the caps i have chosen ( based on the specs from the first post of this thread) will be okay hehe. here are the ones ive done so far:

See the Attatchments, then these are the other ones i will be replacing later today.

C922, C925, C924, C926, C929, C930, C932, C933 - With FK radial elec cap 1000uF 16V - RS Stock Number - 571-656

And

C201 - With FC radial elec cap 1000uF 25V - RS Stock Number - 571-981

This is the site i bought them from -

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/

Thanks a lot in advance for your help guys =] sorry im such a newbie at all this.
                          Attached Files

Comment

They should work. At first I thought you had a problem. In the US Panasonic FK series is a surface mount type, but the link at R-S shows it is a through hole type.

PlainBill
                            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

- Deleted -
                              Last edited by EGuevarae; 07-23-2009, 03:12 PM. Reason: Posted in Wrong thread
                              There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                              • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                              • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                              • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                              • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                              • Windows 10 Pro x64
                              • GeForce GT1050
                                2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

I just wanted to thank all of you guys who contributed to this thread. Because of you awesome people, I was able to save my HP 1502 monitor, and for only about $8. Keep up the great work!
                                Last edited by renegade_00; 07-25-2009, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Congratulations
                                  There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                                  • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                  • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Just a quick post to say the screens now working perfectly just giving it a test to make sure its not going to die within an hour or so, thank you so much for this guys!

Comment

Hi,
                                      I have just picked one of these up at the local recycling centre (free) and find it has the all the usual bulged caps identified in this thread but on replacing them find I am left with a working backlight etc but no video (ie white screen).
                                      Funnily enough despite the bulged and leaking caps it was working exactly the same way before I replaced all the duff caps!. After much investigating I became convinced it was a screen panel even though the fuse was intact. However I put the screen in a Dell I have and it fired up lovely! so the screen panel seems to be excluded.
                                      On further testing I noticed the zener diode (ZD 904) mentioned in the thread was running very hot and the board getting more and more scorched by the minute and a nice burning smell! On inspection the diode is now covered in soot and sticky. Any views on this and anyone tell me if the zener could be the cause of the white screen? (thought it might be as the voltages measured at the pins to the video board seem to fluctuate wildly on measuring and at best one shows 7v, one shows 3.3v and one shows 5v - none show 12v)
                                      Thoughts and wisdom appreciated!

Comment

i have LCD HP1502. screen continuous flicker and indicator power lamp too. I try replace All capacitor 470uf/16v (6pcs), 1000uf/16v (1pcs) and 1500uf/25v (1pcs). and the problem same.

what can i do again? please help me.... fix my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by nursiti2009 View Post
                                          i have LCD HP1502. screen continuous flicker and indicator power lamp too. I try replace All capacitor 470uf/16v (6pcs), 1000uf/16v (1pcs) and 1500uf/25v (1pcs). and the problem same.

what can i do again? please help me.... fix my problem.
                                          Replaced with what?
                                          Screen flickering might be bad lamp(s)
                                          • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                          • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Working...
                                          X