Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cap rated voltage

Hi Guys,

How do you test for the capacitor's rated voltage?

Re: Cap rated voltage

You look it up in the data table.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

I mean, a means for you to check if the cap is in tune with the data table.

For example, I have a 47uF/50V cap. Can I hook the cap directly to a 50V DC power supply and measure if the capacitance is not changing? Is the way I measure capacitance acceptable? If the capacitance remain unchange, can I say that the cap is in tune with the datasheet?

Comment

If you try to measure capacitance with 50 volts on the cap you will blow up the capacitance meter.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

What you are trying to do won't show you or accomplish anything.

50v rated caps are created by applying somewhere around 100v DC to them for so many hours to build up ["Form"] an aluminum oxide layer on the foil which is the actual dielectric in lytic caps.
          The process is called "forming".
          Once they are formed they are 'derated' to the rating in the data table.

-

- Dr Seuss
          -
          -

Comment

Isn't is possible to go through a reconditioning procedure to check the rated voltage? I came across a couple of sites some weeks ago where this procedure was described, though different. For low voltage capacitors, one used 1000 ohms limiting resistor for each capacitor in series with a power source. One site said to use 110% rated voltage for 3 hours, the other site said use rated voltage for 30 minutes, and then measure voltage after disconnecting. If I remember correctly, then if capacitor within 95% of rated voltage, it pass test. I realize the procedure is a bit cumbersome/impractical just to test individual capacitors, but I'm just curious myself.
            ------------
            Be a mensch

Comment

Thank you very much sofTest! I think that's the answer I was looking for.

I was googling and had no luck finding that website, I was hoping you could post it here.

Comment

Had to Google them again, but luckily the two links was still marked as read:
                http://www.duracap.com/electrolytic_...tion_guide.htm

And two more I stumbled upon looking for the others:

------------
                Be a mensch

Comment

Working...
                X