Linksys 10/100 Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linksys 10/100 Switch

This linksys EZXS55W 10/100 5port switch has a single bad cap. I know its hard to see because my camera is really blurry and old, but maybe the shading gives it away. There is a slight drop of leakage in the center top of the cap that my camera will never be able to focus on.

The switch started having issues with my DSL router - it would keep trying to switch automatically from crossed to straight, and the DSL router would compensate by switching as well. I bought some netgear 8port switch to replace it, and it works fine now.

Re: Linksys 10/100 Switch

Bad news! Netgear equipment is affected as well!
    I have a DG824M built in 2003 and it has a bad Tolon cap!
    From the Netgear forums it seems many people have issues with older routers dropping the ADSL connection and other intermittent problems which only started happening after a year or two!
    cheers
    Steve

Comment

Yes, I have a large collection of Linksys in the NG bin.
      I never would have thought to look for a bad cap here.
      Since you've described the same symptoms these are known to display, that sounds just like a bad cap. They even seem to heal breifly then fail again.
      Jim

Comment

I'm guessing that the lower portion of the PCB is a power section. It has quite a few lytic caps, what looks like an 8-pin DIP IC (384X family?), and what may be two inductors. If it is an AC-DC or DC-DC power section, the caps will need to be low-Z, good brand name parts. You would think Linksys (Cisco) would know that. Or maybe they got bit by the Nichicon HM/HN process problem?
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I have had problems with this switch only running at 10mbps even though all the connections were 100mpbs.

Comment

Well, noting new that Linksys has bad caps all in their gear. And no, no Nichicon to blame for, its all about not high grade caps. But ok, if that helps Linksys to produce a decent firmware, i have no problem with that. Cap s are easy to fix, firmware not.

Comment

Working...
            X