Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless woes that I have sorted out over the past year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless woes that I have sorted out over the past year.

I read through some of these threads, and instead of bringing up months old threads I figuered I would start a new one. My wireless trouble started when I set up a streaming network in my home. I have an Xbox 360 wired in the living room, Xbox 360 wireless in the bedroom, 2 laptop PC's, my main PC in the living room (all 3 wireless) and frequently would have visitors over who would use the wireless. The trouble I started having was that I would frequently have to reset the router and modem, supposedly because of conflicts with my cable modem (Motorola surfboard that I own, router is a Linksys WRT54G of some variety that Vonage gave us years ago).

I live in the country, and for the longest time I was the only person on the node, talk about FAST! Well I noticed degredation in my speeds, and obvious problems with the modem/router conflicts for a long while. I first set wireless security, WPA but this is a HUGE hassle when dealing with steaming because if it tried to renew the lease with a device that wasn't active at the moment, it would fail (device would show but wouldn't allow you to access it). I set static IP's for everything, and put them out of the range of the auto assigned IP's, still kept running into issues. I had someone tell me that my router didn't play nice with the Comcast cable, so I purchased a new Rev 1.0 WRT54G (the sleek black one with no antennea).

This got me up and running, but still had the issue with the WPA and still would get the random disconnects and modem troubles. Finally I found a program called inSSIDer and ran it, MAJOR problem found! My neighbors had apparently all upgraded to high speed, and 4 out of 5 were broadcasting wireless on channel 6! One person was broadcasting on channel 12, so I dropped mine to channel 1. After this I disabled the WPA security, and since then I have been set. I have reset the modem/router maybe 3 times in the past few months, and while I'm a bit nervous about no security, I live in the sticks and have been dealing with it. If I ever get to nervous, I'll restrict the router to only allow access to manually added IP's

I see a lot of talk on here about flashing firmware, or re capping, but here's the crazy thing, I gave the old Vonage router to a friend of mine who lives WAAAAY out in the woods (but just close enough to get DSL) and it has been flawless for him ever since. This router is at least 4 years old with no firmware update, and it is still kicking. While I agree you should stay current on these things, It never hurts to check the small stuff first.

Finally I wanted to add that one of our laptops will give the random "no network found" error that for the longest time I blamed on the router, turns out the wireles B (yes old school) mini PCI card is dying, 15 dollar fix and I get upgraded to wirless G speed.

Re: Wireless woes that I have sorted out over the past year.

You urban parasites, who has to pay for all that wire run to your utopia in the boonies?

Now, regarding the router, there are two things that should concern you.

I sold two Asus WL-500G Premium V1 routers that I flashed with Tomato to two seperate people. Both of the routers failed. I gave them different routers, and I have had these routers sitting here for a while. Recently I decided to do some recapping. No go. So I tried the short pin 9 of the IC to ground, that didn't help.

Finally last week I hacked the wire off of an old DC transformer and soldered it onto a 5V 2.5a switching adapter and both routers work great. I installed the absolute latest OpenWRT Backfire that I found on their server and it works great.

So you should recap your routers and open up the adapters and change the cap in there too. Those adapters especially will fail after a while. As for custom firmware, you might find OpenWRT's LUCI GUI a little complicated. I recommend you use Tomato and NOT DD-WRT which will be slower than the original Linksys firmware. The thing is, I'm pretty certain Tomato is based off of the old 2.4x kernel OpenWRT release, so, while it works great, the later 2.6x firmwares are faster they say.

I can't vouch for B43 maturity, as I think your router is also Broadcom like mine, because I haven't done any tests on it yet.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

he isn't a parasite. he lives out that way and he was offered service? the company already ran the wire so why the hell not?

if things are working i would leave it the hell alone. if you get issues, recap it.

i have a router running ddwrt... it seems to work well. only thing is you have to be good with FTP'ing things... if the stock FW is fitting your needs, again, leave it alone.

the power bricks can be fishy... if you have issues, switch bricks/warts.

as long as you stay far, far away form belkin, you should be A-ok.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) mega
        [UP] Time: 11:21:46 up 16 days

Say what you want about DD-WRT. This is the 32MB router. It was reset when the internet went down (was an ISP issue. WPA2 AES and at least 4 clients.

Comment

NxB, which router do you have? I'd be glad to run a simple benchmark and totally pwn you with OpenWRT.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

How are you going to benchmark a router accurately I wonder? I use dd-wrt. All the crap I hear about how slow it is has mostly been fud. Your barebones OpenWRT install that didn't even support broadcom's wireless until about last month is faster than mine? Good for you I guess.

Comment

Benchmark away. I was looking for a program earlier, i want to tweak.

Comment

as long as it works i am happy... mine the last i checked (at another house right now) used about 92% of the cpu... no slowdowns.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by MixMasta View Post
                  How are you going to benchmark a router accurately I wonder? I use dd-wrt. All the crap I hear about how slow it is has mostly been fud. Your barebones OpenWRT install that didn't even support broadcom's wireless until about last month is faster than mine? Good for you I guess.
                  dd if= of= /mnt etc... from shell would do the trick, no?

I'm not talking about wireless, B43 support stinks, I would do it through the switch.

Another thing, B43 has been supported for a while. It hasn't worked well, and it probably doesn't work too well now either because it's not open source, it's a binary, but Asus WL-500P has a removable mini PCIe, so replacing it with a well supported Atheros replacement is trivial.

Comment

But wireless is what we use. I have some wired stuff but the way my home is set up precludes an ethernet run to the bedroom. If it was only about wired performance, I wouldn't fuck around and just get a cisco.

I've been wanting to do throughput testing but I can't find a good utility. I know they are out there. PC to PC sustained bandwith is what I'm looking for. For some reason I only get 30% signal strength 20 feet away router to router. Could sticking the router on the floor cause this?

Comment

You're missing the point. We need to first test the router's routing performance. which interface it uses is irelevant. How efficient the router is, how fast it is, is irelevant of which wireless chip is inside it.

That's why wired test through the switch is reliable.

Comment

But thats just one test. I know there are throughput testing programs. It would give a real world test vs just dd'ing files to eachother.

Comment

We're not testing the hard drive, we're testing the transport method. Simple file copying is perfect and more than enough. The only thing we have to watch out for is caching, so we can do 3 different files of different sizes.

Comment

Well guys I got another gremlin!!! I don't know if the crazy weather out here is causing the electric to be flaky or what, but the Linksys WRT54G2 is dying on me. I am pretty sure this one IS the caps inside causing my problems because it smells strongly of burnt electronics. I'm going to get a loaner router off ebay (probably a refurb wireless N of some kind) and pull this one apart to see what's going on inside.

Comment

Check the caps inside and also crack open the switching wall adapter if you feel adventurous. Alternatively, you can scavenge a power brick from a different router. They are something like 5V and 2.5A. Make sure the polarity is good. If not, just do some surgery on the cable and switch the wires around. If the plug is too thick/thin, then scavenge one from any old wall wart that fits.

Comment

I opened this, and another WRT54G2 V1 router today, there are 2 caps, both su'scon 220uf 25 volt. Both routers caps look intact, no swelling or leakage that I can see. Both of the routers look pretty toasted under the Broadcom chip, they've actually discolored the PCB. I'm not sure if someone bricked the other one, I've had it laying here for a while and decided to open it, it lights up but I get no connection through it.

Comment

OK, very strange and slightly profound discovery just now. I had been planning on replacing my router, or recapping it, but I just had a feeling this wasn't my issue. I did end up replacing the power supply (which was putting out 11.9 volts at no load!) with a 1 amp power supply from an old set of PC speakers had, VERY overbuilt for this job .

Anyways, I started thinking, what have I changed around the time this problem popped up, and oddly enough, the only thing I had done was to install an updated driver on my Acer Aspire One laptop (aoa 150). I wouldn't think this could cause the problems I was running into, but I did some looking and found out that in fact it can!

The problem apparently lies in the fact that even with the most recent firmware, my WRT54G2's can't support IPv6. This causes problems when you have uPnP running on your router. I fist disabled IPv6 which seemed to work for a minute. Next I turned UpNp off in my router and so far I've ran into no more issues. I'm guessing that the new driver for my wireless card somehow changed the way my PC was handling the IPv6 and this started the problems I was having. I checked my wireless sharing today, and it still works and man is it fast now! Hopefully this fix hold up, was really running out of ideas on this one.

Comment

Working...
                                  X