VA902b Shakey jittery image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VA902b Shakey jittery image

I get it. Looked at digikey to see what info is there about the part, but was unable to find voltage regulator. What category should I be looking under? By the way, thank you for your help thus far, you have been invaluable, much appreciated.

Comment

This should work.

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...9-5-ND/2472287

Get 2 just in case one is bad or you make a mistake so you don't have to pay the $8 shipping/handling again.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks, your help is much appreciated. I looked at digikey and mouser and I cannot find the voltage regulator category. What should I be looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by blues View Post
          I looked at digikey and mouser and I cannot find the voltage regulator category.
          http://search.digikey.com/us/en/cat/...ors-linear-ldo
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I received my part today and am about to try to uninstall the old IC voltage regulator. I am new and this and need some tips here. Are there four points of contact to the circuit board of just the 3 pins? How should I approach unsoldiering the old one?

Comment

I received my part today and am about to try to uninstall the old IC voltage regulator. I am new and this and need some tips here. Are there four points of contact to the circuit board of just the 3 pins? How should I approach unsoldiering the old one?
              1) hopefully, you have at least a 40W soldering iron.

2) with small diagonal wire cutters, cut each of the 3 legs all the way through. Using your soldering iron, heat up one of of the legs and remove it with a pair of small pliers or tweezers. Do the same for the other 2 legs.

3) the tab is the hardest, since it requires the most heat to remove. With your soldering tip held against the tab, use your pliers to grasp the plastic body of regulator. When it looks like the solder is starting to melt under the tab, apply a very gentle twisting motion to the pliers. This should hopefully free the regulator from the board. If the solder is not melting, apply a little of your 60/40 solder to the tab, which should lower the melting point of the lead free solder underneath the tab.

Comment

It sometimes helps to heat the general area you are working on with a hair dryer so the heat from your iron isnt dissipated so quickly.
                Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Since I can't justify buying a hot air rework station, I borrowed a heat gun from my friend and have been experimenting with it removing smd components like sot-223 voltage regulators off old junk boards.

It works great, but there is no fine level control with the heat gun. So I ordered some Kapton tape and plan to cover up all the area to protect the other components from the heat.

I also plan to remove any capacitors that are close by in advance so they don't get killed by the heat.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks, very helpful. My eagerness may have gotten me into trouble. I think I may have damaged the resistor above it, see post #13 for a picture of the resistor. I damaged the outer coating. Will this need to be replaced and does anyone know what type and value resistor I need?

Comment

I think I may have damaged the resistor above it, see post #13 for a picture of the resistor. I damaged the outer coating. Will this need to be replaced and does anyone know what type and value resistor I need?
                      From the picture, it looks like white, brown, gold, gold so according to

http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronic...calculator.php

that is 9.1 ohms 5%. I would measure it and see if it is close to 9.1 ohms or not.

Since this is a low ohm resistor, touch your leads of the multimeter together. It should read around 0.2 to 0.3 ohms. If you reading of the resistor is 9.3 or 9.4 ohms, then the actual reading will be 9.1 ohms taking the resistance of the leads into account.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I think it looks more grey than white. I will need to follow your advice and meter it when I get home today. I read it as Grey, Red, Gold, Gold but from the picture it is hard to tell. Will als try to post a new picture later.

Comment

Id say white brown gold gold from ebay pic http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...0,0,0&format=0
                          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Thanks, very helpful. My eagerness may have gotten me into trouble. I think I may have damaged the resistor above it, see post #13 for a picture of the resistor. I damaged the outer coating. Will this need to be replaced and does anyone know what type and value resistor I need?
                            If you scraped off some of the outer coating, it should still be ok. Do a quick check with your ohm meter. It's not the most accurate check, since the resistor is still in the circuit and you could be reading the resistance of other components, but still worth a try.

Comment

OK. I nmanaged to get the voltage regulator off as instructed by jetadm123 and then I installed the new one. I checked with my meter and got...
                              Pin3 5.00 VDC
                              Pin2 1.80 VDC
                              pin1 0.00 VDC
                              which was correct. I metered the ohms on the resistor and got 009, was 000 just touching the pos and neg together without anything in between, so I thought it was worth assembling and testing. To my surprise the no signal message was steady so I hooked up the monitor to a laptop and to my wonderment, the problem is solved. No more shakey jittery video. I am not to sure about my soldering, but hopefully it holds and will get better with time. Some assembly required.

Props to retiredcaps, selldoor and jetadm123, I couldn't have done it without you. You guys rock and so does this forum! You made a believer out of me, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X