Asus VE205 .... 2seconds to black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asus VE205 .... 2seconds to black

For what I have been reading and my experience ( EE in college ), is that perhaps the CCFL is bad. However, I began to notice the corner becoming slightly discolored and some slight flickering in contrast ( no color ) before this issue happened. Perhaps that could aid you in our diagnostic quest. I am going to try and replace the slow burn fuse tomorrow and I'll let you know what I come up with.

Comment

hi kalvin,

i tested the ccfl's (ie...the bulbs) and they appear fine. I used another monitor to power the bulbs from the ASUS and they came on fine.

Comment

I am going to buy some 30 AWG to replace the fuse ( as a test ).

Comment

just curious what part your referring to.....can you take a pic of the part your testing?

Comment

The white pigtail tube fuse. Its pretty clear as day to see it on the board. You have to de-solder it from the board.

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...es/G16104B.jpg

Comment

did you test the fuse to see if it was an open?

Comment

Well, I scratched off the paint ( I believe its paint ), and the inside was completely black inside, typically indicative of a burnt fuse. I don't have a multimeter to test the fuse with, and forgot to pick up 30 AWG copper wire from work today. Looking for an old power supply to break open around the house to use. Anybody with a fix will earn 20 USD through paypal.

Comment

ok. I replaced caps but still the monitor does not come on.

I replaced caps (see enclosed file)
                  1:330uF/35V
                  2:330uF/35V
                  3:680uF/16V
                  4:680uF/16V
                  5:470uF/16V
                  6:470uF/16V

I DID NOT replace caps 7 and 8.

Cap 7 is 47uF / 50V
                  Cap 8 is the "big" cap which i understand does not normally go bad.

i recall from a post bill put out some time ago. I have done all of these. But i have not gotten any feedback on #2. Does anyone have any other ideas on this monitor. If not i am going to give it back to my neighbors and tell them to buy a new one.

2 seconds to black......things to initially try (from bill post)
                  1. Replace any suspect caps (Elite, Suscon, Capxonand other caps on the bad caps list are automatically suspect).

2. Compare the resistance of the transformer secondaries. If they don't match to within 3% replace the one with the lower resistance.

3. Substitute known good CCFLs
                  Attached Files

Comment

One other comment. If you power the monitor up and connect a computer to it the screen goes blank as i said before. However, you can see the faint image on the screen if you shine a flash light at the monitor of whats supposed to be on the screen.......hope that made sense. Basically, the video signal is getting tot he monitor but its just not staying on to display it.

Comment

You haven’t substituted known good CCFLs yet, you have tried the CCFLS in a different monitor.
                      If the secondaries are only using one coil there is nothing to compare the resistance to
                      Try flowing new solder in the areas around the inverter transformer.
                      Is the back light on voltage reaching the inverter controller?and stay the same when the backlights go off?
                      Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

update: I took two known good ccfl's from the test monitor and plugged them into the ASUS (not working monitor). I connected the computer and power to the ASUS. Turned it on and .........nothing. CCFL's come on but then go out. Same situation as when i had the CCFL's from the ASUS connected.

I also reflowed the solder on all the transformer connections...........no change after this either.

thanks for the ideas. If you have any others i will try them........provided i can do them.

Comment

where would i measure the back-light on voltage?

Comment

What is the number stamped on the IC circled in brown?
                            Attached Files
                            Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

i am enclosing a pic of the part........

the marking on the part looks to be the following:

0Z9933GN
                              A98TP4 20
                              0946A

The "6" in the last line could be either a 5 or 6 but i think looking at it with a magnifying glass looks like a 6.
                              Attached Files

Comment

i think the part number is

"OZ9933GN"

first letter is an "oh" not "zero".........i think

Comment

I am going to be out for awhile,
                                  Here is the only information I found on the OZ9933
                                  Looks like pin 16 is the BL on pin
                                  Attached Files

Comment

to test the BLON voltage i just monitor pin 16?

Comment

Originally posted by Welchs101 View Post
                                      to test the BLON voltage i just monitor pin 16?
                                      Yes. Note that it is labeled ENA - Enable.

PlainBill
                                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Yes positive lead to pin 16 for the BL on signal, It will probably read about 1 volt.
                                        You just need to compare the voltages when the backlights are on, and see if it stays the same when they shut off.
                                        Pin #4 looks to be the ground. And pin #11 VDDA is the power supply to the controller.
                                        I do not know the exact voltages you will see, you are just looking for something different when the lamps are on and when they shut off.

Comment

ok, sorry for not responding sooner..........just recovering from the flu.

Ok. I finally made the measurement.

Postive lead on pin 11 and gnd lead on pin 4 as you recommended.

I powered lcd monitor on and immediately saw 5V.......LED light is blue.........once LED light switches to orange........voltage reading drops from 5V to 3.7V and then goes back to 5V.

Comment

Working...
                                          X