case rusting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

case rusting

My brother randomly decided to get a new thermaltake V3 case today and decided to donate his old thermaltake mambo case to me. It seemed a bit odd that he would randomly decide to buy a new case since he is a miser and he only bought the mambo case about a year ago...
    Then i saw why... There's light corrosion or something around the rear 12cm fan bay... I dont understand how this could occur if the pc was used indoors, in an upstairs living room and in dry australian conditions... Is this case still fit for use? Or will those corrosion bits fall off and harm my new motherboard that i wanna install in there?
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: case rusting

Is it actually disintegrating? Otherwise sand it, clean it up, spray it.

Comment

Some steel alloys rust a LOT more easily than others, and I think some case manufacturers don't phosphate the bare metal before painting it. Phosphoric acid gets rid of the very thin coating of rust found on almost all bare steel and also helps paint stick better. Also chrome or stainless steel nuts and bolts in contact with plain steel will make the latter corrode.

Comment

It's not disintegrating, but it's an eyesore. Looks like light surface rust to me...

My brother says the dust caused it because after he vacuumed off a thick layer of dust, it was under it... i think the dust traps moisture?
        Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

The dust very well could trap moisture and accelerate any rust. If it's just surface rust, it shouldn't harm anything. I'd give it a light sanding and then hit it with some rustoleum to keep it from rusting.
          Antec Mini P180
          Corsair 650TX psu
          Core i5-750 (stock speed)
          2x 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600
          Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
          ATI FireGL V3600
          (1) 36gb WD Raptor
          (2) 1TB WD Caviar Black (Raid 1)

Comment

i have to get some pictures, but i have used and seen old cases as what you describe i light brownish color almost spotty on the bare metal, i have not had or heard of any problems..

repairing computers in FL with lots of humidity, i have seen that crap actually ON the MB, cards, HDs, FDD, especialy when they machine was in warehouse or garage kept. i supose as long as it doesnt interfere with any electricity (like cause a short) then it
            should be alright.

keyword should

Personally, I wouldnt worry about it, so its up to you to worry about it! :p

Comment

Working...
            X