This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

This is the Sencore MAP 1853 "I don't know what the hell it'll be" build....

This was a cheap ebay score that turned up in one of my weird searches.... I've never seen one like it...and it was cheap. I was more intrigued by the case.....you know a company is badass when they take on the expense of engineering their own ATX cases rather than buy something pre-made and slap their name on it....but Sencore is known for this. Case-wise, there's nothing proprietary about it that any ATX case couldn't be made to do..... Full aluminum body and a steel door.....but unlike everything else ATX, you can tell it's hand crafted.

...but before I got it, Fedex had their way with it, ultimately destroying the door.... Seller refunded it...so yea... Got nothing in it. It got slammed on the upper right corner. It must have taken a hell of a lick, it was actually packed very nicely.

With the assistance of hammers ranging from a small ball peen all the way to a 5lb sledge along with blocks of wood and drifts, I got it pretty straight. The hinge got the worst of it. It looks worse than it is, paint came off from opening it. I had no choice, had to be open and shut a few times while damaged to remove it from the case body....but it came out fair....but door is completely functional and straight....but there are some scars. The black 'scuffs' on the left top of the door is sticker goop I haven't cleaned off.

I can live with this!

Inside of the case.

Case side that comes off the inner frame.

Rails that hold PCI cards in place along with the usual screws.

I didn't know what was inside this at all when I bought it. The seller just described it as a pentium3 with 512mb ram, no drives. Motherboard was an Intel SAI2 serverworks that has native support for Tualatin CPU's. There's a pair of 1.26GHz S-versions in it. I'm guessing it was taken out of service because the CMOS battery died. When these boards do this, of course all defaults return and they belch out tons of weird CPU incompatibility errors and refuse to boot. One of these used to host BCN for a short time back around the turn of the century (~2003-ish IIRC).

There was another casualty of the shipping trauma....One of the socket clip on SKT1 for the heatsink was ripped off the socket. This usually spells the end for the motherboard (atleast the damaged socket)....but as if by some miracle, the broken piece was sitting on the case floor. I reattached it with some quick set JB weld. It holds fine. Replaced the CMOS battery and reset everything, board is fine.

That said, not much of a board...having no AGP, in spite of Tualatin support, it's not much of a retro gamer....so that leaves this case a blank slate for some kind of weird build. When I figure it out, I'll create a thread for it.
    Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Another case for a VP6 build?
      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
        Another case for a VP6 build?
        The thought has crossed my mind. I have one of the 'polymer editions' left.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Another good day for the retro fleet!! These were dropped off Wednesday....just now getting around to mentioning.

Specimen 1: Abit IS7-V2 in a nice blonde Antec ATX case.

Skt478 w/ celeron CPU...

Caps are all Rubycon and appear ok. That GPU is mine....the one in it was bad. Antec PSU is working....but given the era it's from, I'd wager it needs caps.

Bad GPU was a FX5500. Fan frozen....I'm guessing it overheated and cooked itself.

Next up is an unknown aluminum case; maybe a lian li or one of their knockoffs.

Upon powerup, I released the magic smoke from the PSU. It smelled like caps venting....but the unit did power up...just no POST....so removed the PSU and tried another.

Here we go...now it POST's...

This is as far as it would ever go... The caps on this board appeared ok...but are crap brands. Board is an ECS iirc.

Case overall is in good (not great but good) condition. Might be fun to stick something more modern in it just for giggles.....this is a garbage system core even if it did work right.

With super cool handle!!

There were some 'big box' systems (couple HP's and couple Dell's) as well, but nothing really noteworthy or good to save.... P4 era stuff with no graphics expansion abilities.... I'll gut those.
          Attached Files
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Sharp CD-Q5 micro component system. Curbside find from last night.

Tape only works one way (it's a digitally controlled auto reverse deck, likely some mechanical issues), screen backlight is dead.

Everything else works fine. All the controls, the CD player, the tuner all work. Amp good on both channels, no issue with the two speakers and it sounds quite good for its size. It's also got an aux input so I can plug the TV, PC or phone into it.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 09-09-2023, 02:28 PM.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

[...]

Next up is an unknown aluminum case; maybe a lian li or one of their knockoffs.

[img]
              [img]

Upon powerup, I released the magic smoke from the PSU. It smelled like caps venting....but the unit did power up...just no POST....so removed the PSU and tried another.

[img]

Here we go...now it POST's...

[img]

This is as far as it would ever go... The caps on this board appeared ok...but are crap brands. Board is an ECS iirc.

[img]
              [...]
              It's a non-issue as the board misbehaves and it's most certainly not worth the effort to troubleshoot, but in my opinion if someone needs/wants an overkill 9x box without going either poor or mad with hacks upon hacks to make the system behave, a 754 K8M800 system with a good Sempron or a A64 and Win ME (yes, I said it) is a solid solution.

You don't get the heat and power issues you'd get with a K7 or a P4 and as the IMC is in the CPU even the crappiest, lowest end boards will mostly behave and have fine performance (think of those generic taiwanese KT133/266 boards to see what I mean)

Also 99,9% of the time the southbridge is the Plus revision so you get SATA that actually works.

If it worked I'd say keep it as is and just add a 128bit Radeon 9550 flashed to 9600. It would be both period correct and fit with the idea of the whole build.
              Last edited by whatamidoing; 09-10-2023, 03:58 AM.

Comment

I come back with moar scores. Laptops again, and what is prolly my first server.

- Fujitsu Siemens Primergy TX1330 M1
                - Sony Vaio SVE1712V1EB
                - Dell Studio 1558
                - Packard Bell TM83
                - HP Pavilion G7-1345sd
                Main rig:
                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                16GB DDR3-1600
                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Today's freebies are:

1) MS Surface Pro 4 256gb. Don't have the password for it...have to reload it. Charger missing but I had one.
                  2) 11th gen I5 Lenovo laptop, windows was bungled up. Reloaded and had that sold with a phone call.
                  3) Flawless condition C2D Asus laptop, bad HDD...slow but runs Mint ok with a SSD....just didn't have the heart to scrap it.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Santa Ratdude came last night bringing a HP kayak 6/300 I nabbed on ebay that was local to him; complete with it's 19" CRT monitor, KB and MS. In the box was some other goodies he scored at his goodwill....I wish our goodwill had stuff like that....all they have is clothes, shoes, and kitchen crap.

Anywya, there was an AWE64 Gold, an AT socket7 board (appears to be NOS), and some other nifty things!!

I usually send him home with some goodies from here as well....but he didn't find anything to lay claim to....
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Another great day for scores:

- custom build - MSI K8T Neo, NX6600GT 128MB, 2x512 DDR, noname PSU which in reality is a disguised Seasonic (!!!!!!), Samsung 160GB HDD and Samsung DVD-RW (both PATA)
                      - OGXbox w/ Aladdin XT chip in need of a recap
                      - Acer 6930G that needs some repairs
                      - Acer Extensa 5630 that needs cleaning and maybe repair too
                      - Pentium II "Deschutes" SL2W7
                      - Sapphire HD7850 2GB GDDR5

Also got a free NFS U2 copy with the Xbox
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Two Rotel pieces, but I got a bleeding wound in my arm... Both are faulty, but will power on. Probably the deck needs a new belt, and the amp something else as it does not produce sound. It has separate transistors at the output, so it's easier to fix.
                        Attached Files

Comment

A couple interesting things....we'll start with the crappy first... The first two were dropoffs.

MacbookPro that has no charger. Connected one of mine, it wouldn't power up. Just blinked the 6x battery status LED's.....so I'm assuming the battery is bad. It had PC3-8500 in it, so I'm ASSuming it's a core2 or first gen I-series CPU....nothing to write home about.

Next up is an Alienware M15X. It's a first gen I7, 8gb RAM and a 500gb spinner. It too was missing the charger and the batt is bad....but it does otherwise work. It's in pretty poor condition though, probably won't do anything with it.

Last but not least is a weird Ebay score. Ever since the Sencore tower shown above, for some reason broadcast grade AV gear shows up as 'related searches' at the bottom of an item listing page....and I am even blocking ads, but this function apparently still works (always has)....and these show up.... Tektronix makes an identical model as well, lots of those showed up....but this was the second 'Sencore' version I've ever encountered. I typically ignore them, as they always have a 4-figure (sometimes 5) price tag (they go for around a grand in real-world bidding).....but a couple weeks ago one popped up live bidding with a $9.99 opening bid + $40 shipping. Listed for parts; saying the display was bad. I tossed in a max bid and nobody outbid me.... This is a Sencore MAP 1870-P

I thought these were kind of neat; as it's a modern-day "luggable", reminds me of the giant heavy 'portable' computers of the 80's before laptops.

I didn't take pics along the way; as it was a real treat taking this apart to get to the defective display. When I finally got it out, nothing was really jumping out at me as to why the display wouldn't power up. It just feeds +12v from the ATX PSU, and it was working. If I connected an external display, the unit functions. Examining the board, I just happened to notice 4x Jackcon caps (yea, Jackcon, anyone remember those turds) datecoded 2004....that was the first red flag, considering this thing was made in 2010. I checked them on my Sencore LCR (<--ironic, isn't it), they were reading very low; 470uF 16v caps, all reading ~320uF. They were not swollen... I also fluxed & reflowed the solder on the signal processor chip just for good measure (not a BGA, just a legged IC). Yay, working display!! It's 17" 1280x1024 32 bit color.

Now here's what makes this kind of unique... This luggable case is just a standard full ATX; very nice build quality aluminum construction using a normal ATX power supply. Not sure who makes this case, as the tektronix version uses the same case.

Expansion bays for full size drives.

Keyboard & touchpad. Keyboard has a nice feel to it, it's not a flimsy laptop keyboard. Touchpad is a 'glidepoint', but uses an Elan driver.

Inside. The motherboard is a supermicro X8SAX, a board I'm already familiar with. CPU is a first gen I7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 3GB RAM, and a 9400GT video card. The additional cards are proprietary for the functions this machine does....which operation of this is above my pay grade....

Software licensing key is visible....and the software appears to work when loaded up. I'll play around with it and see if I can make it do anything.....but I'll have to educate myself a little first.

Drives are a pair of WD 250gb RE3's in a stripe array of 500gb.

I'd have loved a case like this back in the LANfest days!! Since it appears to be functioning as it should, I may just flip it; since a working one brings a pretty nice amount.....but I want to tinker with it before I do....
                          Attached Files
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Had a couple dropoffs yesterday. The noteworthy one was a custom built blonde uATX case with one of those goofy P3 era boards that has both a S370 and a slot1 on it. The slot 1 was populated with a SL3XR 800/100 coppermine, quite rare.... Unit works.

The other was some compaq pentium4....meh.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                              Had a couple dropoffs yesterday. The noteworthy one was a custom built blonde uATX case with one of those goofy P3 era boards that has both a S370 and a slot1 on it. The slot 1 was populated with a SL3XR 800/100 coppermine, quite rare.... Unit works.

The other was some compaq pentium4....meh.
                              The case itself was a custom build?
                              Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                              Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

The case itself was a custom build?
                                Nah, it's just not one of the 'big box' brands. Custom / homebrew.
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Ah, ok. Just looking at the modern state of computer cases makes me want to build my own, styled after the early-1990s full-tower AT cases that stood 3 feet high and weighed 70lbs empty, but with modern provisions for cooling and tons of expansion.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Ah, ok. Just looking at the modern state of computer cases makes me want to build my own, styled after the early-1990s full-tower AT cases that stood 3 feet high and weighed 70lbs empty, but with modern provisions for cooling and tons of expansion.
                                    You mean something like this?

I bought this new back around 1998 or so. IIRC it's empty weight is 62lbs. Solid metal, zero plastic anywhere. It's ATX, but does have an IO shield so a AT board can be fitted. I still have all the accessories that came with it.
                                    Attached Files
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Very similar to that! Isn't that the case that housed the first Badcaps.net server?

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Some audio scores....
                                        Schiit Modi 2U DAC and a Loxjie P20 headphone amplifier, kitted out with Soviet 6N3P-E tubes. Needed to dig up appropriate power adapters, but both are in working order.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

2x Xbox 360s.

One is a Falcon that I painted after cleaning, the other is a Xenon that got dismantled for parts.
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X