No announcement yet.

Windows 10 and magically hidden files.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 10 and magically hidden files.

Originally posted by stj View Post
    sodium reactors are dangerous as hell - do a search and see how they managed to mess them up!

anyway, nuclear power is a side-effect, the stations are all for nuclear weapons or industrial isotope manufacturing.
    Living is dangerous as hell and death is the final outcome. Sodium reactors will not have a melt down no matter what one does or our many error an operator does. Like with everything there are dangers if it is not built correctly. If one does not build a building correctly it falls down and kills most of the people in it. Sodium reactor need to be keep away from air and water. Those are the dangers. Air will cause a fire and water will cause an explosion. One can minimize these risk by only allow a small storage of sodium to heat the water in a pipe that turns the turbines. This would be away from the main reactor and the large pools of sodium. What that does is prevents an explosion in the main reactor and minimizes it to a small area where the water is heated for the turbines. This would be easier to control if that happen and it would not involve the reactor. Containment of radiated liquid sodium is 300 years as appose to 10,000 years for light water. Sodium reactors will burn 99% of the fuel as appose to 1% with Water cooled reactors. In fact the waste from Water cooled reactor can be burnt in sodium cooled. The only problem in the reactor would be exposing it to air. Were a fire could start. The Tera power design the fuel cell would not have to be taken out of the pool because the cell would be use for the 60 years that the power plant was in operation.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
      Trent Reznor did this but he wasn't pissed at all so might be someone else.

Solar roadways do not scale (too expensive) and don't produce much electricity.
      The video made it look real good (the solar panel roadways). Figures the ones selling the product might be misrepresenting it a bit. They were talking about putting them on some train and it should be able to power itself or something. I found that a bit hard to believe. I mean, I could see it helping to power a train, but my understanding was, they'd cover the whole train with these panels and they would power the train completely. I didn't think we were quite there yet.

I'll confirm with my friend. I've noticed over the years, the more times a story gets told, the more that gets added to it, so it very well could have been an embellished story told about Trent Reznor. He's a NiN fan, so it would make sense if Trent did this, he'd know.

On a side note, my buddy participated in that NiN remix thing they did and he did real well. Got on the top 5 or 10 or something. Trent released these tracks or something and he'd remix them into his own songs and upload them on the NiN site. People really liked his stuff, he goes by Kindred or Kindred1134 or Kindred Spirits or something like that.
      -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
        I'm older than that. I like using a mouse as appose to a touch pad. You see most younger people don't understand some of the limitation when one gets old. One's vision gets worse. I am near sited but I can't wear bi-focals because I have a habit of failing with them on. I go into a store to buy things and things within two or three feet I can see well without my glasses on. Then that means if something is down low I have to put my glasses on to see it but then I can't see something two of three feet away. Of course the stores could make the writing large so it would make it easier so farsighted people could read things close to them and nearsighted people could read things away from them. The people who make these signs have no clue. I have gotten the wrong thing several times because of going back and forth with glasses and alternating that with kneeling down to the floor without glasses. OK with that said the solitaire games programmer must of consider older people. The face of the default cards have a simple design on them easy to see. Not complicated with swirls/ect. They have luxurious color to them. Not to saturated and bright, or dim and pale. This make it easy for old people to see what they have. The number and the design is not so large that, that is all you see and causes the person to concentrate on it to much and not consider the other cards and they are not too small that one can not see easily. When a person opens the MS original games to full size screen then it is perfectly easy to see. One does not have to play around with the screen size. After all of this one can change the appearance if one is tired of the type of design they are using.
        I understand the getting old part. Although I'm not very old, I have some problems with my body. I can't see very well. It's at the point now where I just gave up driving and let me wife do it. Got some aching bones as well! Bad new, bad back, all that crap. I wasn't trying to imply that his age was what was causing the issues with him using a PC. What I was trying to say was he never really used any real electronics before. For example, no VCRs, no walkmans, no DVD players, no video games, no calculators, nothing. He has me set his watches and he'll call me when he accidently hits the wrong button on the TV remote and changes the video source. I've tried showing him how to switch it back, but I think it's one of those things, you know, he went soooo long without using it, now it's a bit overwhelming. That, and there isn't really a desire for some reason to learn that kind of stuff.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great guy and he loves learning, but he loves learning about how to do wood working stuff and thingies that I don't know diddly squat about. Well, now he's got this shit called alcohol related dementia and it's horrible, but when he isn't drinking, he seems to be good, which is good. I think him and mum finally quit.

Comment

Yea most the people my age do not know much about computers. I went to school for electrical technology that taught both digital and analog theory. All of are labs where with discrete components. When I worked in industry they needed a computer technician so that is what I became. Most of the analog stuff was closing down like TV repair and radios. Analog circuits started to make a comeback in 1986. I really wanted to be an artist, but my Dad thought artist were nothing but bums. I needed a sit down profession because I hurt my back doing a warehouse job so I became a technician. This is the only reason I know something on today's equipment. My dad was a controlled alcoholic when he was working. He would save getting drunk for the week end. When we moved to Florida when I was 16 years old he would get drunk every night with his bosses. When he got into his 60's after we moved back to MA he would hide his bottles around the house thinking my mother would not find them. My Brother Gary, not the one who lives near you, became an alcoholic when he was 12 years old. He is still an alcoholic and he is going to be 69 years old this year. He used to be a really nasty drunk. He has mellowed a little with age. He would stay drunk most of the time and usually was hung-over when he worked. So I am well aware of that type of craziness.
          Last edited by keeney123; 07-10-2016, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Yea most the people my age do not know much about computers. I went to school for electrical technology that taught both digital and analog theory. All of are labs where with discrete components. When I worked in industry they needed a computer technician so that is what I became. Most of the analog stuff was closing down like TV repair and radios. Analog circuits started to make a comeback in 1986. I really wanted to be an artist, but my Dad thought artist were nothing but bums. I needed a sit down profession because I hurt my back doing a warehouse job so I became a technician. This is the only reason I know something on today's equipment. My dad was a controlled alcoholic when he was working. He would save getting drunk for the week end. When we moved to Florida when I was 16 years old he would get drunk every night with his bosses. When he got into his 60's after we moved back to MA he would hide his bottles around the house thinking my mother would not find them. My Brother Gary, not the one who lives near you, became an alcoholic when he was 12 years old. He is still an alcoholic and he is going to be 69 years old this year. He used to be a really nasty drunk. He has mellowed a little with age. He would stay drunk most of the time and usually was hung-over when he worked. So I am well aware of that type of craziness.
            My dad used to be meaner than a rattlesnake when he drank but calmed down a bit over the years as well. He does some weird stuff now, even when he's sober. The docs says if he quits drinking, his brain might not get worse, but if he keeps on drinking, it'll kill him. We're hoping that's enough for him to want to quit.

My parents always had this saying, something about they're not alcoholics because alcoholics drink before noon. They'd always wait until noon to start drinking. When my dad was at work, he'd wait until he got home. My mum was a stay at home mum and my dad was an over-the-road truck driver. To this day, I have no idea how he never got caught driving in the car drinking. There were sometimes when we was real scared riding with him because we were just kids. I remember one time, coming back from one of my sisters parties up in Watkins. Mum and dad were both real trashed and dad just kept driving through the stop signs and red lights. He drove on the wrong side of the road. My mum kept on yelling at him saying he was going to get pulled over and then she just threw up all over the car. It was horrible! We thought we were going to die, but once he got on the highway, he did alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
              Not necessarily true! For example, I'm going to be President, I know that for a fact! And, I can see a bit of the future. Like the telephone poles, I'm doing away with them. Roadways? I'm replacing them, along with park lots, with solar panels, smart ones. They can light up and display stuff like the parking lines and handicap symbols. They can let you know if deer are in the road up a head, or if there's an accident. These already exist. Google something like Solar Freaking Powered Roadways

They should be able to generate enough electricity so everyone in America can have free, renewable energy.
              Please watch this video and the followups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obS6TUVSZds
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I still like the orbital power station. Of course that would cost around 1 trillion dollars.

Comment

I still like the orbital power station. Of course that would cost around 1 trillion dollars.
                  and come down if the thrusters fail - no thanks.
                  all orbits slowly decay from gravity.

Comment

but.... but... the moon's orbit is not decaying otherwise it would be a "deep impact" or "armageddon" movie. in fact, astronomers have found that the moon is actually getting further and further away from earth!

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                      Please watch this video and the followups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obS6TUVSZds
                      This sucks! There goes my chance at becoming President and uniting mankind! Thank you for sharing though. Now I can contact my friends and let them know the truth!!

It's a bit sad though but usually stuff that sounds too good to be true are actually too good to be true.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                        but.... but... the moon's orbit is not decaying otherwise it would be a "deep impact" or "armageddon" movie. in fact, astronomers have found that the moon is actually getting further and further away from earth!
                        Yes, most people I don't think know that the moon is in fact moving away, very slowly, but moving away none-the-less.

I know you probably already know, but for those who don't, I believe the reason the moon's orbit isn't decaying is because of the mass of the moon and it being gravitationally locked to Earth's orbit. It's attracted to the Earth but it's spinning around fast enough where that gravitational pull just isn't strong enough, I believe.

With the discover of the Higgs Boson, maybe we'll understand gravity a bit better and make some sort of engine that's just anti-gravitational and doesn't require any fuel or something. That'd be nice. :-P

Comment

yes, high orbit decays outwards, low orbit decays inwards.

Comment

and come down if the thrusters fail - no thanks.
                            all orbits slowly decay from gravity.
                            First the orbit would be 2200 miles above the earth. It would have to be assembled in outer space. I would imagine that it would be of very light weight material just enough to have about a 1 square mile of solar cells with a Fresnel Lens. Then this energy that was capture, that the Sun provides for free, could be beamed around in outer space's vacuum with out loosing any energy with Microwave Dishes. Then down to Earth to were ever it is needed. In outer space the energy from the sun done in this method is about a factor of 10X greater. So a one square mile array would be equal to 10 Square miles on earth. And the difference is it would be available 24/7 so the 10X factor now would increase at least another factor of 30X. Making the over all factor of 40X. Now the 1 Square mile becomes 40 square miles on earth.
                            Last edited by keeney123; 07-11-2016, 05:46 PM.

Comment

yes, high orbit decays outwards, low orbit decays inwards.
                              Do you know what's considered a high orbit / low orbit?

I once had a hypothesis. You travel fast enough, you leave Earth's gravitational pull and go into space. If you don't, you simply circle around Earth or you fly up and come crashing back down. You have to get that speed. My hypothesis was if we were somehow able to travel faster than the speed of light, we'd leave the universe and see what was outside space / time.

Someone smarter than me said this could never happen. If we found a way to go faster than the speed of light, we'd create some super massive black hole that would destroy the universe or something.

I still thought it was a good hypothesis though. I came up with it when I was researching something called quantum entanglement. Scientists believe atoms that are quantumly entangled "communicate" with each other, sending messages, 15,000x the speed of light. It's hard to gather evidence to support this though. It's very hard to measure something that fast with today's technology. Anyway, if they actually are sending messages at 15,000x the speed of light, because of the work Einstein did, that'd mean those messages would be being sent outside of space and time.

Comment

First the orbit would be 2200 miles above the earth. It would have to be assembled in outer space. I would imagine that it would be of very light weight material just enough to have about a 1 square mile of solar cells with a Fresnel Lens. Then this energy that was capture, that the Sun provides for free, could be beamed around in outer space's vacuum with out loosing any energy
                                firstly geostationary orbit is 23,000 miles if i remember right - less and your dropping slowly.
                                second, man has not officially been in outer space - your refering to high-orbit or just beyond it.
                                3rd space is not a vacuum, it is a low pressure mixture of gasses.

any junk you put in high-orbit is going to get destroyed anyway - there is lots of small and medium size rocks and even dust clouds flying by up there
                                leonid showers should sound familiar for example.

and dont forget the earth is moving through space, anything you build has to move with it.
                                Last edited by stj; 07-11-2016, 07:23 PM.

Comment

firstly geostationary orbit is 23,000 miles if i remember right - less and your dropping slowly.
                                  second, man has not officially been in outer space - your refering to high-orbit or just beyond it.
                                  3rd space is not a vacuum, it is a low pressure mixture of gasses.

any junk you put in high-orbit is going to get destroyed anyway - there is lots of small and medium size rocks and even dust clouds flying by up there
                                  leonid showers should sound familiar for example.

and dont forget the earth is moving through space, anything you build has to move with it.
                                  We are getting technical. Virtually a vacuum. I believe Telstar is still up there. Perhaps that is why John Mankins choose a low earth orbit for the power station.
                                  Last edited by keeney123; 07-11-2016, 07:47 PM.

Comment

...any junk you put in high-orbit is going to get destroyed anyway - there is lots of small and medium size rocks and even dust clouds flying by up there...
                                    This is a big problem and something we need to fix. I believe we can safely create some sort of magnetic field that could help protect against certain things, but the main reason we don't, it's very expensive to send stuff up there, and the more it weighs, the more it costs. The only way I could think of (but I didn't think too hard) was a molten core around whatever and we just keep it flowing, the same way Earth's magnetic field is created.

Astronauts get these little dust particles that shoot straight through their ship and them. They look real weird as well. We don't really know if there's any negative effects to this.

And of course, all that freaking junk up there! We should work on sending that stuff on a collision course with the sun once we're done with it, instead of just leaving it dead in space.

Comment

you could get rid of man-made space junk, but who wants to pay for it!

btw, the speed of light is not fixed, you can speed it up or slow it down with magnetic fields.
                                      all the crap theory's revolving around it come from "scientists" trying to sound clever when they actually know nothing.

"scientists" came out wih similar crap theory's about the speed of sound - until it was broken.

they also came out with crap theory's about much slower speeds.
                                      i seem to remember something about man not being able to travel faster than 30MPH without being killed by it during the early days of the horseless carriage.

that theory went to shit once railways started being built!

bottom-line: theory's arent worth the paper they are quoted on.
                                      Tesla hated Einstein and knew he was a plaguarist anyway.
                                      he stated that discovery's come from experiments and not from writing theoretical numbers down.!!!
                                      Last edited by stj; 07-11-2016, 08:43 PM.

Comment

You forgot one that's related to electronics. The electronics engineers proved mathematically that you could never have a radio in your car because the tuning capacitor could not be shrunk down small enough. Lear, the man behind the jet, wasn't an engineer and just built one. His first success that bankrolled all his other work.
                                        sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

exactly.
                                          if somebody says it cant be done, somebody will do it just to shut them up!

Comment

Working...
                                          X