Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PC cleanner for free?

^Excellent info by Agent24 above.

Yes, NEVER EVER download anything from CNET or Download.com - they will try to slip you their own installer, which is indeed crapware. I think many other software download websites have started to do that too. Therefore it's best to download directly from the source. The only exception I can mention right now is MajorGeeks and FileHippo. Last time I used FileHippo, they were still fine. But be cautios if you download from FileHippo - they have lots of ads that look like legit "Download" buttons. If you have FireFox with AdBlock Plus, you won't see them most of the time.

Originally posted by 877
    +1 for ccleaner, I also use spyware blaster which is free (if you don't mind manual updates).
    Yes, Spyware Blaster is good too. If you don't want to mess with creating a custom hosts file, Spyware Blaster will block many dangerous sites from downloading content to your PC. That said, I find that a custom hosts file still works better than Spyware Blaster. But since Spyware Blaster doesn't take any resources (it adds the info of those malicious websites in registry, so the program itself doesn't need to run to have your PC protected), might as well put it on there.

As for CCleaner, don't bother with the registry cleaner unless you have problems. The cleaner itself is useful, though, and I recommend runnig it every once in a while to clean up temp files and browser cache.
    Last edited by momaka; 07-05-2014, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      Yes, NEVER EVER download anything from CNET or Download.com - they will try to slip you their own installer, which is indeed crapware.
      The inclusion of software you didn't ask for is very bothersome.

Ever since I switched to Lubuntu, I am now rid of such things.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Isn't it just awesome when a website dumps you a "free" EXE file to install when you're on Linux?

My rule: If it has "free" in the description, it's probably going to be watered down trialware, bundled with adware/malware for revenue, or outright crap from the onset.

People can see when a program is free because they can download it without hassle and it won't nag them to pay, donate or upgrade to a full or "Pro" version every time it runs, or have FREE TRIAL/FREE VERSION/REGISTER NOW! or a countdown-to-useless (crippleware) displayed somewhere in the program.

If you must return a profit from software, do a Photoshop and charge a small fortune for it, but don't come crying when your one-trick-pony ends up pirated a day later. Anyone who pirates programs was never a potential customer anyway (they were simply downloading it for the sake of downloading it), so you're not missing anything. If it's popular enough, you'll still make a mint from the program from the real (paying) customers. Pirates will pirate a $1 program for the sake of pirating it, just like they will pirate a $35000 professional-grade program suite (and why is it $35000? Because the target audience, such as professional musicians (as opposed to today's pop "artists" who can't even sing a note so they need Auto-Tune, Pro Tools and FL Studio to do all the work) and those in the movie/TV/3D industry can afford it; the more expensive something is, the higher the bling factor).

Comment

I know that there are many users that have used CCleaner, with no problems, but I have tried it twice, over a several years time frame and both times it disabled my OS.
          I had to resort to a Ghost Restore to return my PC to full function again, both times.

Now I won't touch it with the proverbial 'Ten Foot Pole'.

The Disk Cleanup app that comes with Windows, will do a respectable job, if you run it in the Extended Mode.
          A web search will find you that code.
          or download the shortcut here: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/15...k-cleanup.html

But for safety, NEVER remove "Setup.log" files.

In answer to post #1....yes it's a scam to get you to buy something you don't need. Their free scan will tell you that you have hundreds of even thousands of problems that only they can fix, after registration that requires you to BUY the program. Scam! Scam! Scam! It's the same old thing you see advertised on TV all the time. It really ticks me off, that the TV stations even run that CRAP!!!

For years there have been Good and FREE cleanup programs available. From '98 to XP, I used a FREE program called "Easy Cleaner 2". I ran it on virtually hundreds of PC's to clean them up, with NEVER a problem.

For OS's after XP, I use "Win Utilities" or AVG PC Tune-Up. They both work good, and SAFE.

Or if you're anywhere near Central Florida, or planning a trip here, bring that PC over here and I'll clean it up for you and leave you with all the programs I use.

Cheers mate!
          The Doctor
          Last edited by ThePCDoctor; 07-20-2014, 10:14 AM.
          Experience is truly the best teacher.
          Backup! Backup! Backup! Ghost Rocks!

Comment

I will just pass again my recommendation about Advanced SystemCare 7.
            After using it for a year as free, I did pay the yearly fee so to get it.

It does not damage windows registry and it gold point is that makes fine adjusts in windows services and boot up time and all windows operation looks like a fresh OS installed PC.

Ghost 14 and dual Raptor 10.000 rpm in RAID/mirror, for extra safety :-)

Comment

I would also suggest Advanced SystemCare. I have used TuneUp Utilities which I love, but it's not free. The Advanced sysmtem care has some limitations on the free version but I believe it does a good job. It's the one I have been installing on friends computers.

Comment

Working...
              X