Would just recapping solve my problem - desoldered MOSFETs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would just recapping solve my problem - desoldered MOSFETs

Regarding the question about a replacement for the NEC 2SK3405 (K3405) may I add the following: on my GIGABYTE GA-7VA the same FET got burnt. I replaced it with a FAIRCHILD FDB6030L from a scrap motherboard. Now it is back to life again.

Comment

if you replaced the fet's, and its living again, definitely recap it. the crap caps are what cause the FET's to die in the first place (gigabyte boards are notorious for this). Replace those nasty 330uF 25v choyo's as well. It's safe to use a 6.3v cap in place of those 25v choyo's, I typically replace them with 470uF caps. ...but yea, definitely recap it, it'll save you future FET replacements.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

I second that,replace all of the filters in the vrm circuit,that was the reason why the fet shorted out to begin with,they usually dont short for no good reason.

Comment

Anyone got any tips for safely removing and replacing FETs? I'm having serious trouble getting them off.

Comment

edit: never mind, worked it out . Quick question. Are these two components interchangeable and am i right in deducting that the Infineon 06N03LA is superior to the Advanced Power 9918H? (data sheet attached)

I'm pretty sure my ASUS board is fitted with the Advanced Power FETs, while i have a good deal of the Infineon units available from a Foxconn board (that also carried some nice juicy Rubycon MBZs that i'll be using to replace the UCC KZGs (they're higher capacity, have lower ESR and higher Ripple stats)

I'm trying to get the ASUS power delivery as good as it can be for overclocking experiments.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X