50" Philips 50PFP5332D/37 (No Power)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50" Philips 50PFP5332D/37 (No Power)

I have a plasma TV that does not turn on. I first had an issue with attempting to power it on a couple of months ago. It would make clicking noises, but not turn on. Usually this model has a blue light indicating power...it would instead flash a red light a few times. I then unplugged it for a few seconds and it would turn on. This cartoon went on at least a dozen times. Now it doesn't power on at all. Has anyone got advise on how to resolve this issue. I am mechanically inclined, but I am a novice in electronic hardware. Any and all help is appreciated!

Re: 50" Philips 50PFP5332D/37 (No Power)

Assuming you have no warranty to void, go ahead and carefully open it up to the point where you can see the power supply board. Check the caps to make sure none are blown. While you're in there, look for burnt or blown components. If you find something, report back with pics so our more technical members can get you pointed in the right direction.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Sometimes the flashing indicator lights will flash a code. These codes are found in the service manuals. You should be able to find the service manual for that unit here:

http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresul...at2=schematics

Do the easy things first.
      The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Originally posted by M.Barclay View Post
        I have a plasma TV that does not turn on. I first had an issue with attempting to power it on a couple of months ago. It would make clicking noises, but not turn on. Usually this model has a blue light indicating power...it would instead flash a red light a few times. I then unplugged it for a few seconds and it would turn on. This cartoon went on at least a dozen times. Now it doesn't power on at all. Has anyone got advise on how to resolve this issue. I am mechanically inclined, but I am a novice in electronic hardware. Any and all help is appreciated!
        In addition to dood's advice, watch the flashes when it doesn't power up. Philips uses these flashes to display an error code. The flashes should be a combination of short and long flashes. The number of long flashes indicates the 10's digit, the number of short flashes indicates the ones digit. As an example, one long flash , a short pause, two short flashes, a long pause, etc indicates error 12.

This took a little detective work, but you have the EJ3.0U PA chassis. Google that and your first hit will take you to elektrotanya.com where you can download the service manual.

Dgtech beat me to it!!!

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Apologies, but I reacted to this situation like a moron. I didn't bother to check the code before complete power failure. I need to purchase a power tester to trouble shoot. I don't see any bulging capacitors. Thank you for your patience!

Comment

What we need you to do first is to post clear pictures of the boards. Post as attatchments (see "Manage Attatchments" on posting page).
            The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Here are two pictures of the power board. If a clearer photo is required, i will upload at your request.
              Attached Files

Comment

Here it is in a clearer setting. I took PlainBill's advice on better photography...
                Attached Files

Comment

More information would be helpful. When the power button is pressed, what happens? Nothing, relay clicks?

The first thing to check would be the two fuses in the lower right corner of the power supply. You might get lucky and find one of them blown. No, it's not OK to replace it with a piece of wire.

Assuming the fuses are good, the next step is to examine the connectors on the left side and bottom. IIRC, these have labels indicating the voltage they supply. The one you are looking for one may be numbered 1M03 or 1M46, and have a pin labeled +5V2stby or something similar. Now put the power supply back into the TV and hook up all the cables. plug in the power cord and check the voltage on the pin you identified above. Measure from the pin to chassis ground (one of the power supply mounting screws is fine). It should read about 5.2 volts.

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

There is no sounds (clicking) when I push the power button; no flashes either.
                    Is there a voltmeter out there that you can recommend? Also, being that I do not have a voltmeter, yet, how would one figure if a fuse is blown?

Comment

Originally posted by M.Barclay View Post
                      Is there a voltmeter out there that you can recommend? Also, being that I do not have a voltmeter, yet, how would one figure if a fuse is blown?
                      Without a meter, it won't be possible to know if a fuse is bad.

The voltmeter that PlainBill recommended is discussed here, but the ebay link is dead/expired ...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...0&postcount=26

I bought a used Meterman 15XP off ebay and it works great. Just don't buy any variation of the cheap DT830B under $5 variation. It is total crap. I know from first hand experience.

There is a Meterman 30XR (new) on ebay selling for $12USD + shipping. I have never dealt with the seller, but it looks like a good price for a "name" brand meter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Meterman-30XR-A-...item58899ad2e6
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Looks a great deal, too bad only ship within US

Comment

This guy reviews 5 DMMs for under $50.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                            This guy reviews 5 DMMs for under $50.

PlainBill
                            I love watching Dave Jones doing multimeter reviews. Make sure you watch the one where he totally abuses a Fluke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlA7-fh5nDQ

He also does a lot of tutorials. He just did one on DC to DC switchmode converter. He has done SMPS, capacitors, etc.
                            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I am trying to repair this model for a friend. I notice that my power supply's picture is rather different from the ones posted. So, here is another version of the power supply board....

I guess I should note that the board version number is : PS-507-PHN

I purchased a rebuilt on eBay. Looking at it, I get the impression that blown capacitors is a common problem. My friend felt happier with the rebuilt, than my repair of the board. I assume that my replacing the obviously 'pregnant caps' would have done just as well... Anyone else have an opinion?

Onward....
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Capt36; 10-24-2012, 12:39 PM. Reason: More information to add.

Comment

Working...
                              X