Increasing RAM in a laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increasing RAM in a laptop

My wife has a Dell Inspiron E1405. She wants me to add memory. I work on tube guitar amps, I have never been inside of a laptop computer. Can any of you guys advise me regarding where to purchase more memory, how much I can/should buy, and how to install it?
    Thank You

The current specs are:
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2MB/1.83GHz/667MHz
    1 GB shared dual channel DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz 2 DIMM
    26+6=1

Re: Increasing RAM in a laptop

The memory is under one of the covers. Find the one with the memory and see what you have in there. After that check pricewatch.com and buy whatever kind of memory you had in there.

You can also check the manual/specifications of the laptop for memory type and the amount it can hold.

Comment

The max memory in a E1405 is 2 GB so you need 2 x 1 GB DDR2 533MHz or 667MHz SODIMM modules.

You can get them at any reputable computer store, but here are some as an example. These are sold as a kit of 2 together, so you only need to buy one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2%20x%201GB%29

For installing them you need to replace the two 512 MB DIMMs you already have. One is on the bottom of the computer and one is under the keyboard.

Here is Dell's instructions for replacing the memory on an E1405:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1076835

Hope that helps.

Comment

OK -
        That should just about do it.
        Thanks Again
        26+6=1

Comment

Being in california, I think newegg would be fastest for you. Good prices too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146517

That would work good

Comment

You can also order directly from the Crucial site, and if you look it up using your laptop's model number, they'll guarantee compatibility. I did an RMA with them once and it was refunded as advertised.

Newegg tries to charge something like 15% any time you return something. They even tried to charge me that when I returned a defective item (they quickly removed the charge when I argued it though).

Comment

if you never done it before.search youtube for a video clip on how to install a memory inside a laptop.it shouldn't take more than five min

Comment

Newegg 2x1gb kits

Buy name brands.
                Crucial, Corsair, G.Skill. Kingston is OK.

Comment

one more tip.format the hard drive if u never done it before.you will be surprise by the increase in performance

Comment

Working...
                  X