acer al2416w back light working no image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acer al2416w back light working no image

Hi, i stumbled upon this forum when i was trying to fix my acer monitor. Unfortunately, because of the fact I was reading everyone was having problems with their back lights , I couldn't find much help. My back light works, I receive no ACER logo. Referring to the service tech manual i figured it was the Video board...I just got it in the mail today and nothings different. I am now under the assumption that the power block is bad.

My problem is I have no idea what part, none of the caps look bad and I don't know what half to replace because the back light half works and I don't want to mess that up

Poking around online i found one replacement and its 30$ for shipping and the shipping is 4$ more than the new part.

I'm kinda scared about buying the wrong caps or maybe this isn't even the issue..

I could post pics, but i didn't think they are necessary at this point

Help and Thanks!

Re: acer al2416w back light working no image

are you getting a white screen?
    or a black screen with backlights on

Comment

There are three possible causes of this problem. A defective signal card, a bad cable from the signal card to the panel, or a bad panel card. As trebo asked, the color of the screen is important. A white screen suggests a problem with the cable or the LCD panel itself. A black screen is most likely a problem with the signal card.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I just replaced the video card on the LCD and nothing changed. The screen is black....well with one white dead pixel...but thanks for the quick replys!!!

only 3 pieces to board... black light inverter, Power board, and video board...
        just to clarify i get no acer logo and no "no signal" visuals on the screen. I have been the only owner of this and It just suddenly went out after a simple power off and power back on.

Comment

Does the power led come on at all? If not, verify that the power board is supplying the 5 volts to the signal card.

Comment

yes power LED comes on and operates as per usual.... timing from the green to yellow is normal just no picture, the lcd has literally sat here for years and isnt moved so i cant see how a cable could go bad... the plugs are fine from the pc and so is the cord...

Comment

i think that although the signal card is "powering on" maybe there isnt enough power to get the rest of it working.... the power button does work.... just no image...has to be a cap on the PW supply...

Comment

Are you sure this model doesn't have a separate T con board?
                Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Im pretty sure i dont, there is a white ribbon cable the clips in directly to the signal card as well as a power line for the card.

Comment

Is there any type of small cover maybe 3x4in where the ribbon snaps into the top of the panel area?
                    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

you have to take out the screen unit from the grey steel housing to get to panel board, but i think you need to check out voltages first from pw board to video board to see if they are steady,
                      Last edited by trebo; 11-26-2011, 12:06 PM.

Comment

it appears that the ribbon is going directly into the LCD in a further down layer. Samsung LCD though...on an acer product...that ribbon cable then plugs straight into signal board

Comment

and now its back.... as i type this message on the screen...everything looks fine...

Comment

Originally posted by bl4xc0d3 View Post
                            and now its back.... as i type this message on the screen...everything looks fine...
                            Sounds like the caps on your inverter board are almost gone. I have fixed 2 2416w's recently, posted how I fixed them a few weeks back on this forum. Use the search option, if you haven't done so already.

Did you check if there was an image on the black screen with a flashlight? Did the screen suddenly come back to life after you had the monitor switched on for some time, say 30 minutes or so?

If that's the case, the caps on the inverter board are slowly but definitely going down. On both my 2416w's the 4 caps on the top half of the board had gone, resulting in a only half lit screen. The left side lit up as usual, but towards the right the entire screen gradually got darker.

If you can see an image onscreen using a flashlight, it's the inverter. In that case all 10 caps and possibly some mosfets need replacing. Check the mosfets for shorts, if they are ok replace the caps asap. A blown cap will take out the (hard to obtain) mosfets. And check the 3 fuses on the inverter board, a blown mosfets will result in an open fuse.

re-atari

Comment

Originally posted by re-atari View Post
                              Sounds like the caps on your inverter board are almost gone. I have fixed 2 2416w's recently, posted how I fixed them a few weeks back on this forum. Use the search option, if you haven't done so already.

Did you check if there was an image on the black screen with a flashlight? Did the screen suddenly come back to life after you had the monitor switched on for some time, say 30 minutes or so?

If that's the case, the caps on the inverter board are slowly but definitely going down. On both my 2416w's the 4 caps on the top half of the board had gone, resulting in a only half lit screen. The left side lit up as usual, but towards the right the entire screen gradually got darker.

If you can see an image onscreen using a flashlight, it's the inverter. In that case all 10 caps and possibly some mosfets need replacing. Check the mosfets for shorts, if they are ok replace the caps asap. A blown cap will take out the (hard to obtain) mosfets. And check the 3 fuses on the inverter board, a blown mosfets will result in an open fuse.

re-atari
                              While you should be proud of getting your monitors working, your solution doesn't seem to apply to bl4xc0d3's problem. He didn't have any problems with the backlights; the problem was a blank screen.

PlainBill
                              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

can you put us out of our misery and tell us what fixed the fault please?????????????????????

Comment

it went back out.... it was just a temporary thing.... im back on my netbook.

So once again, inverter working...backlight working....NO ACER LOGO...no "NO SIGNAL" logo.... still times out (yellow/amber light) correctly as if not connected to a signal when i turn it on. I'm still stuck...

=-(

Comment

it went back out.... it was just a temporary thing.... im back on my netbook.

So once again, inverter working...backlight working....NO ACER LOGO...no "NO SIGNAL" logo.... still times out (yellow/amber light) correctly as if not connected to a signal when i turn it on. I'm still stuck...

=-(
                                    For the second time, when it fails, what dolor is the screen - black, white, a series of amorphous colored blobs, whatever?

PlainBill

Comment

The screen is black...the back light is on...there is one dead pixel...he is white like always. The screen isnt broken like a remote hit it with cracks of color everywhere. the screen isnt dead though, although it is "black" i can see the back light turn on and off when i turn the power button on and off...

I think we came to the conclusion that because i replaced my Signal card it had to be a shot LCD it self...something deeper than just the three cards i could see with the back removed

Comment

I think we came to the conclusion that because i replaced my Signal card it had to be a shot LCD it self...something deeper than just the three cards i could see with the back removed
                                        If the power supply is not working 100% then the signal card may not work 100%

having said that the screws on the top and the bottom hold the screen unit into that grey steel housing, you need to take it out to get to the screen unit and panel board,
                                        its then under a small housing that runs along the top of screen unit

Comment

Working...
                                        X