My new (used) isolation transformer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new (used) isolation transformer.

Since I just spent a decent amount of money buying an new scope I thought it would be wise to also get an isolation transformer to use in conjunction with it. I had saw a post on here a while back ago that Toasty made recommending a place to get one at a good price so I went for it.

It was supposed to be $29 plus a shipping charge of $9.50 but for some reason I did not get charged for the shipping. So for $29 I got an isolation transformer that weighs more than 30lbs. shipped to my door. Although I have not bothered to open it up yet, I did test the output voltage and all seems good there. I think I got an excellent deal on this item. The website that I bought it from is on a sticker you can see in the third picture.

I am hoping this thing will help keep my scope from going

Attached Files

Re: My new (used) isolation transformer.

It looks that you got the right thing.
    I am a bit unlucky , I have here something that looks like isolation transformer externally but it is not.

It is a step-down 220 to 110 which the one of the two input leads it is Bridget with one of the output.

Generally speaking an continuity test on input/output just for reinsurance that some one it did get the right item, it is a must do.

Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post

I am hoping this thing will help keep my scope from going
    My scope it did made a huge bang when live phase toughed the small alligator clip of the probe.
    Even so the automated fuses of my electrical Mains board engage in instantly and no harm was done other than the noise.
    Last edited by Kiriakos GR; 05-30-2013, 10:32 AM.

Comment

That is known as an autotransformer, most 230~115V transformers are made that way as it costs less to produce them.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Do not trust those Italians LOL
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post
          It was supposed to be $29 plus a shipping charge of $9.50 but for some reason I did not get charged for the shipping. So for $29 I got an isolation transformer that weighs more than 30lbs. shipped to my door.

Nice!

I looked at the same unit. After 3 emails asking for a quote WITH shipping, they quoted $70.00 for shipping.
          With my luck they'd send it UPS ground for an additional $50.00 brokerage fee.
          36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
            Do not trust those Italians LOL
            I don't know of any step down isolating transformers. There's no need; the mains isn't isolated so why should they isolate a step-down like this?
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Well if I got passionate to obtain an isolation transformer I can use the one of this Made in Greece (monster) stabilizer.
              But I do not feel good to take it apart yet.
              I have the hope that I can sale it as is locally and get some good profit.
              It was made to protect sensitive medical equipment.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
                Nice!

I looked at the same unit. After 3 emails asking for a quote WITH shipping, they quoted $70.00 for shipping.
                With my luck they'd send it UPS ground for an additional $50.00 brokerage fee.
                That cross boarder shipping is a real PITA. They shipped mine UPS ground so you are probably correct about which carrier they would use. It is a real shame at the cost to get it to Canada as it seems to be a great deal otherwise.

I have scope question about this transformer that I am hoping someone can answer. I have confirmed with my DMM that the Line (hot) and Neutral lines are in no way connected to the input power or chassis. The output ground is connected to the chassis and the input ground but that is too be expected IMO. My question: Would it be OK to probe the isolated output line and neutral with my 400V rated scope? It is my understanding that this should be OK but I figure better to ask than damage my scope. I am curious about the output waveform and noise which is why I am asking.

Comment

Working...
                X