Have a Dell PSU here that needs new caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a Dell PSU here that needs new caps

Not that good of a PSU but figured I'll recap it and throw it in a Linux router or something. It already has 36,000 hours of use. It had 3 dead caps, all caps in the PSU were Teapo. Some caps I need:

470uf 200V (x2)
    3300uf 16V (x2)
    3300uf 10V (x2)
    1000uf 10V (x4)
    470uf 16V (x1)
    470uf 25V (x1)
    220uf 16V (x1)
    22uf 50V (x1)
    47uf 50V (x1)

If you need dimension info I can list them. I have a link for the first set, let me know if they don't look suitable!!!

470uf 200V http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DKSea...45517395167142

I was only planning on replacing 1 of the 22uf 50V caps because it got damaged by me taking out another cap. Should the rest of the little caps be okay? Or should I replace all of them?
    Last edited by Pentium4; 06-06-2012, 08:24 PM.

Re: Have a Dell PSU here that needs new caps

What series are the Teapos? Usually Teapo SC are used in PSUs. If this is the case the UCC/NCC KY series would be a good option they have the same or lower ESR, a higher ripple rating, and a longer rated life than the Teapo SCs. KZEs would also be a good option if they fit. They are one series above the KYs but are often physically larger which may be an issue in some cases. There are also several options from Panasonic, Nichicon, Rubycon, etc. however UCCs tend to be the cheapest of these brands and are what I normally use for PSUs.

The link is non-functional.

What is the model and wattage of the PSU? If it is 250w+ you should probably upgrade the primaries to ones with higher capacitance. Also for primaries, is their room for larger caps and what are the approximate dimensions of the existing caps? I generally recommend the Panasonic TS-ED series for 200v primaries. These are excellent caps and are priced well. They are available in different diameters and heights (larger diameter = lower height and vice versa) so picking a specific cap in the series depends upon the physical space available in the PSU.

Edit: if this PSU is the one you posted in the "Hall of Shame" there is plenty of room above the primaries for taller caps. I would probably go with 680uf caps since there is very little price difference. Also the Teapos do appear to be of the SC series in those pics.

Unless you are having issues with the PSU not starting (after the recap) the small <10uf caps should be ok, these rarely fail.
    Last edited by dmill89; 06-06-2012, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
      What series are the Teapos? Usually Teapo SC are used in PSUs. If this is the case the UCC/NCC KY series would be a good option they have the same or lower ESR, a higher ripple rating, and a longer rated life than the Teapo SCs. KZEs would also be a good option if they fit. They are one series above the KYs but are often physically larger which may be an issue in some cases. There are also several options from Panasonic, Nichicon, Rubycon, etc. however UCCs tend to be the cheapest of these brands and are what I normally use for PSUs.

The link is non-functional.

What is the model and wattage of the PSU? If it is 250w+ you should probably upgrade the primaries to ones with higher capacitance. Also for primaries, is their room for larger caps and what are the approximate dimensions of the existing caps? I generally recommend the Panasonic TS-ED series for 200v primaries. These are excellent caps and are priced well. They are available in different diameters and heights (larger diameter = lower height and vice versa) so picking a specific cap in the series depends upon the physical space available in the PSU.

Edit: if this PSU is the one you posted in the "Hall of Shame" there is plenty of room above the primaries for taller caps. I would probably go with 680uf caps since there is very little price difference. Also the Teapos do appear to be of the SC series in those pics.

Unless you are having issues with the PSU not starting (after the recap) the small <10uf caps should be ok, these rarely fail.
      Yeah the Teapo's are SC series. Yeah it's the same PSU in the hall of shame. It's a 200W power supply...Only 12A on the 12V, 22A on the 5V, and 14A on the 3.3V. The link isn't working? I have 2 Rubycon primaries I desoldered from a Bestec whose secondary blew. They are CE series, 680uf, 200V

Comment

Those Rubycon Primaries should be good. You don't really need 680uf for a 200w but as long as you have the room it can't hurt, especially if you already have some suitable caps laying around, since good 470-680uf 200v caps usually run at least $2-3 each.

No the link is not working, it links to digikey but says "page not found". Was it for an individual item or did you try to link an entire shopping list/cart? If you link an entire list/cart it will only be visible to you since the list/cart is associated with your user account and/or a cookie on your computer. If you want to link items so others can view them you need to link the individual product pages for each item.

Comment

Sweet, so I don't have to get primaries. I did link the individual item but oh well, so when I pick out some caps (probably UCC) I'll post the links here so anyone can make sure that they will work. Thanks for the help so far!!!

Comment

Okay so I have a couple questions. First of all I replaced the primary caps with some Rubycon's mentioned above with same voltage, higher uf. and I had a spare PSU with a 22uf 50V Jamicon cap that i soldered on there, even though Jamicon isn't very good it should be okay since it's such a small little cap? and it's rated at 105C.

Second, I want to make sure all of these caps are compatible (I added primaries just in case the PSU doesn't like the Rubycon's) They're all UCC caps, with the same uf and voltage but some of the dimensions aren't exactly the same, some of these UCC caps are not as tall, does this matter that much? All the replacement caps are KY series except the 220uf 16V is KMG series.

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DKSea...56611973985545

Comment

You don't need to use all UCC caps or all Rubycon caps. You can mix and match, I do it all the time. The most important thing is the spec. No, I would not use that small Jamicon cap, I would definitely replace it.

For the 16V 220uF cap, don't use the KMG. KMG is a general purpose UCC cap. I sometimes use SMG which is a higher rated version of KMG when I'm in a pinch, but you can get much better caps. Look for Nichicon PW or Panasonic FC for the 16V 220uF cap.

Yes, the height -IS- important. Not because of the height exactly per se, but because you may be using insufficiently rated KY caps as replacements for the originals which may have a higher rated... This is unlikely, as KY is commonly used in PSUs, but the only way to know for sure is to get the datasheets for the original caps, and compare the spec with the replacement cap in question.
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I know you can mix brands, just wanted to make sure the Rubycon's would work. Hmm, so even for a small task, the Jamicon is worthless? Alright. I picked Nichicon for the 220uf 16V. So height is the main importance? What about width? All the caps being replaced are Teapo SC series

Comment

Using KY should be fine in that PSU. The physical size (both height and width) can be an indication of the specs (ie, Smaller size sometimes means inferior specs), but I doubt it will cause a problem here, since KY series are generally somewhat higher rated than Teapo SC, so at worst, the specs will be similar.
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                    Using KY should be fine in that PSU. The physical size (both height and width) can be an indication of the specs (ie, Smaller size sometimes means inferior specs), but I doubt it will cause a problem here, since KY series are generally somewhat higher rated than Teapo SC, so at worst, the specs will be similar.
                    That's good to hear. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Working...
                    X