LG Plasma 50PQ60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG Plasma 50PQ60

Hey thanks for taking the time to hear my tale of woe...

I've got an LG Plasma 50PQ60

1/3rd of the screen stopped functioning, though the backlight is ok.

I took it apart and was able to get most of the screen working by unplugging the very last vertical screen section. It was preventing the other 4 sections sharing the same board from working.

The first picture I've included shows the connector for the faulty screen section. The 2nd picture shows the connector of a properly functioning section. It would appear there is some burn residue and brown discoloration. I'm going to guess that this connector is embedded in the plasma panel and is not fixable.

The 3rd picture shows what I've got..

1/16th of the screen does not work (presumably from that burnt connector)
    There is a bleed of misfiring pixels in the dead section
    There is a vertical line of misfiring pixels aprox 35% from the left side (you can see it beside the words "turned off properly"
    Also, all 4 HDMI ports will accept a source, as long as it's not 720/1080, they will accept standard def only. And whenever HDMI is used, the screen flickers with boxes of static, and the speakers emit random bouts of white noise. RCA inputs work fine.

Any and all suggestions on what to try would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
    Attached Files

Re: LG Plasma 50PQ60

Yes, unfortunately that would not be repairable. As for the HDMI issue, try other sources. Some issues with "Deep Colour" on PS3s can cause issues with HD resolutions, it can sometimes be turned off.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hooked the TV up to a computer, photo 1 shows what I get at 1920x1080. Display seems fine at 1360x768..

Photo 1 and 2 show the mis-firing pixels (amidst the wormhole from star trek the movie )

I tried the PS3 with all of the advanced display options turned off, to no avail. It only works via HDMI @ 480p and through composite @ 480p but nothing higher.

Are you aware of any potential fixes? I'm experienced in electronics repair, but not plasma TV's...

Again, thanks very much for your time!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Coreywoo; 01-10-2015, 06:32 PM.

Comment

It would appear that my PS3 issue and crazy colors @ 1920x1080 on computer are attributed to simply having too long of an HDMI cable. I got a 6 footer and everything seems to work fine now, minus of course aforementioned defects.

Comment

Unfortunately the lines can't be fixed. These model LG plasmas are well known to have issues like this due to panel failures. Sorry
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Very good, thanks so much for your guidance!

Comment

One more quick question if you don't mind.. I don't suppose it would be possible to cut power to just the damaged segment of the screen? The bleed has started to spread quite violently! I'd rather just have a completely black dead section. I have the data disconnected but I'm guessing the power is applied to the entire panel simultaneously. Black tape time?

Comment

Which side, the left hand side? In theory you could cut the COF off. the middle lines can't be removed without killing one whole block of ~128 pixels.

Comment

Working...
                X