A8N-Sli Premium Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A8N-Sli Premium Caps

So, I've got a socket 939 A8N-Sli Premium board that has lived happily in my server for three years, and in my desktop before that.
    Pulled the board for a look due to random crashes and loosing a disk on cold boots, and I've found three bad caps.

All of these are 820μF 6.3v KZG caps, all of which appear to be PCI-Express related (PCE12, PCE21 & PCE29)

Can anyone suggest suitable replacements please?

The rest of the board has these other KZG caps on too:
    14 more 820μF 6.3v KZG caps
    6x 1500μF 6.3v KZG caps
    2x 1000μF 16v KZG caps
    1x 470μF 16v KZG cap (Some of the 820μF ones may actually be these, it's very hard to read the cap ratings inbetween the PCI slots and around the CPU socket)

No bulges or anything I can see on these others.

Cheers

Re: A8N-Sli Premium Caps

Look at Topcat's Nichicon stock:
    https://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=23

You need to replace all the KZG. I've done an A8N non-premium board. Look again for the 16V 1000uF 8mm caps, I think there were more than just two. The main caps you want to replace are the 8mm 16v 1000uF and 6.3v 1500uF KZG caps around the VRM and if my memory serves me right, there's also a single 16V 1000uF cap near the memory near the edge of the board.

You'll want Nichicon HM/HN from the store as a replacement for the KZG you can use HZ, but it's worth noting that their ESR is a little lower, but that shouldn't be a problem. Make sure the caps are 8mm, 10mm caps will not fit.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

You're probably right about the cap numbers TBQH. The ones round the CPU socket and those in between the PCI slots are only best guesses based on size and what I can read until I pull them.

Being in the UK, I'd semi rather-not order caps from the US.
      I can find these part numbers (Assuming Nichicon caps) which look right:
      820μF 6.3v- UPW0J821MPD
      1500μF 6.3v- UPW0J152MPD
      1000μF 16v- UVY1C102MPD (10mm diameter, but these can be splayed a little I think)
      470μF 16v- UVY1C471MPD

Definitely no 1000μF near the memory though, that one's a 1500μF

Having said all that though, it almost looks more cost-effective to junk the board and start again
      I seem to be looking at about £20 or so worth of caps, for which I can pickup a 775 board.
      Shift on the CPU, cooler and memory from this machine, and I'd almost break even.

Decisions, decisions.......

Comment

No, those caps are inadequate for the job.

That's PW and VY series you listed there. PW is not good enough for the VRM here and Nichicon VR/VY/VZ are general purpose caps which are also not meant for this kind of thing.

Send me a PM.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

For the 820uF 6.3v caps use http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-det...MPD-ND/2428119

For the 1500uF 6.3v caps use http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-det...PD6-ND/2428126

For the 1000uF 16v caps use http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-det...397-ND/2433531. They aren't quite as good spec wise as the original KZGs, but they are the only reliable 8mm cap I can find at digikey, and they should be close enough.

For the 470uF 16V caps use http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-det...019-ND/1136109
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Digikey takes 12 quid to ship to UK.

Comment

Well, that's still cheap enough
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
              X