Opinion on 2 tv's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion on 2 tv's

Thanks to everyone on this forum, I have successfully repaired about a dozen tv's.

I recently repaired a Philips PDP 42X3 that only had one bad cap.
    I also repaired a Panasonic TC-P42X2 that I had to replace every board but the buffer boards and the P board.

I am going to keep one for my cottage.

I'm into the Philips about $50.00 and about $300 into the Panasonic.

Both are 720p. Which one would you people keep?

Re: Opinion on 2 tv's

Definitely the Panasonic... why did you replace every board?
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I think it was a graveyard tv, where they put dead boards in. I bought the SN and SS from Shopjimmy. and the mainboard from eBay. Would I be safe to keep it? I'm just worried since I replaced so many boards. It is a 600Hz tv unlike the Philips.

Comment

Originally posted by dcapper View Post
        I think it was a graveyard tv, where they put dead boards in. I bought the SN and SS from Shopjimmy. and the mainboard from eBay. Would I be safe to keep it? I'm just worried since I replaced so many boards. It is a 600Hz tv unlike the Philips.
        The SS and SN are likely to be pretty new. Should get some good use out of it, gotta be better than the philips.

Comment

All plasmas are 600Hz driven. Well the Philips might be 480Hz but either way you won't see the difference. Plasma TVs process sub-fields differently to LCD TVs.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Learned something new. Thank you. Does a panel take a beating when all the boards driving it blow? That's why I'm concerned about the Panasonic.
            Last edited by dcapper; 04-09-2014, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Shouldn't do, the panels are basically glass and metal electrodes.

Comment

Learned something new. Thank you. Does a panel take a beating when all the boards driving it blow? That's why I'm concerned about the Panasonic.
                Both mine are rebirthed with SC boards, admittedly just the one was shorted. 1.5 and 2 yrs on both still great. they only had 2 -2500hrs on them when I got them.

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
                  Both mine are rebirthed with SC boards, admittedly just the one was shorted. 1.5 and 2 yrs on both still great. they only had 2 -2500hrs on them when I got them.
                  Awesome! I guess I'm keeping the Panasonic.

Comment

Awesome! I guess I'm keeping the Panasonic.
                    Having one more crack at my 42X20, same as yours. Just scored SN/SS/C1/C2 boards at a good price.

If it's still no good after that then that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
                      Having one more crack at my 42X20, same as yours. Just scored SN/SS/C1/C2 boards at a good price.

If it's still no good after that then that's it.
                      So what have you replaced on that one? You were having the same troubles as I did. I thought I wouldn't get mine working because of the wrong A board.

Comment

if i was in the US market it would be easy but Australian A boards are pretty unique.

I'd say your A board is not the same one but is the right one, just slightly different features so it was always going to work really. it was all the other surprises I was worried about and you did not disaapoint there either.

Does make me wonder if these are a little tempermental when something fails.

Mine is a mess really, repaired SS with just the IGBTs, then A board was dead 1 blinker,got a NZ board and rechipped it from my old one.

Kind of disappointed i did not know the 1 blink was a single eeprom bad but that's the way it went.

somehow blew a DG501 IGBT in the ERC cct on the SN, still not going at this point either, then took a pot shot at the C board and found a buffer IC on that shot, running but picture just maldischarged and I get vertical white band on the C buffer i touched, give it a tap and that goes.
                        Corroded ribbon between the SN and A.
                        Plus it had 8000hrs on it so really my worst Panasonic for a fixer. very high humidity here and who knows what happened to it.

Only having a nother go because i have nothing else to work on and seeing yours running, I'm hoping that if i replace all the pnel boards I might get lucky.

Anyway should be able to sell the boards if no joy, waste of a panel though if i fail.

since plasmas are gone, I'll keep it just in case if I fix it.

So essentially all boards except PSU, A board will have a question mark since it was something i attacked and a miracle it still works to turn it on.

Comment

Working...
                        X