Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An "Expert" said Vista can't be Uninstalled!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An "Expert" said Vista can't be Uninstalled!

I was looking into uninstalling this Vista Upgrade I did to my PC and found some dumb "Expert" advice. First yes it can be uninstalled but the steps looked to be long and involved, and the Xp install may nolonger work when you are done. Now the "Experts" acted like they had found some big secret when they stated that you CAN do a clean full install of Vista from a Vista upgrade disk. Well Duh! Back in the days of ME first all I had was and ME upgrade disk. When needed I'd just repartition my HD then booted from a floppy disk. Next I think I just put the ME upgrade CD in the CD-ROM drive and typed "setup".
    At some point the installer would ask for my windows 98 disk for a second or two just to see that I had a legal copy of same. My point here is that the full verson of ME had to be on that "upgrade" disk or the installer would have made me reinstall 98SE first. This "Expert" also said that you can't use the same Xp disk and serial # you used before the upgrade Vista to down grade back to XP. He said that you would need to purchase a brand new copy of Xp to do the down grade! Bull Feather! I've used my one and only Xp home disk to flush "Vista Turds" out of this PC two time so far, and I'm about to do it again! This "Expert" has to be a Microsoft employee... Does he think that we are so dumb that we can't figure out how to repartition, and format a drive? I guess that none of us know that there is a difference between FAT16, Fat32, and the NTSF file systems???? If I have to I'll just boot from and old ME start disk, run fdisk, and delete the non-DOS partition on my HD and its goodbye Vista! I've never had to do that with a downgrade back to Xp Home. The Xp installer can blow Vista out just fine on its own! I think that PCBONEZ can appreciate my point of view on these supposed "Experts"! Do not put advice on the net for millions of people to follow when the truth is that you don't know what the hell you are talking about!
    Last edited by Junk Parts; 10-25-2009, 07:02 AM. Reason: add
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: An "Expert" said Vista can't be Uninstalled!

i thnk this comes from MS's totally twisted attitude at handling user data.
    they simply assume that the user stores his stuff on the system drive (in 'my documents' etc) and want to prevent complaints like "i upgraded to vista and now all my stuff is gone! HELP!!!".
    they don't want to burden the user with complicated things like BACKUPS.
    most pre-built machines and laptops have only ONE partition (and i suppose many peple don't even think about changing that) so where would they backup to?
    MS could take care of the problem by educating the user a little bit, but then they couldn't sell it as a feature.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

It's not so easy as you say to make a clean install of Vista with an upgrade DVD;
      http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
        It's not so easy as you say to make a clean install of Vista with an upgrade DVD;
        http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp
        It is quite easy to do a clean install from the upgrade DVD:
        http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=498314

Comment

All I know is that I store everything I want to keep to someplace in "My Documents". I just burn "My Documents" to CD or DVD before I bail on an OS version/type or just to do a reinstall. I'm back on Xp Home right now and running fine. I installed same just like I said in my first post.
          Last edited by Junk Parts; 10-25-2009, 01:49 PM. Reason: add
          "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
          Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
          John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
          Rod Serling

Comment

I don't like how vista puts everything in windows.old. Your windows folder, user documents and program files all end up there. Sometimes the permissions are jacked up and its hard to delete because of UAC. It would even come back on reboot after a disk check was run when deleted with 3rd party tools. PITA just like the rest of the OS.

Comment

Working...
            X