Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image problem with Samsung 2243SN display

Hi there.

The background of this 22" unit is as follows. When I got it there was a classic 2 secs to black problem. Screen image was totally fine at this point.

I was able to pinpoint the problem to CCFL inverter which had one of its secondaries messed up and did not turn on one of the backlight tube pairs. Found a replacement at eBay, ordered, replaced and this time both tube pairs worked, but still 2 secs to black. I left the screen alone for quite some time as I was busy with other things. When I got back to business, I had also built four CFL test tubes to help find backlight problems for the future cases. I tried to run the display with CFLs and it worked! (well, at least the backlight issue was gone based on ~ 10 second test run, didn't take a peek at the actual image on the screen here) Further testing revealed something wrong with one of the tube pairs. Fortunately I had a used replacement part lying around, which I installed. Once the panel was reassembled after swapping the tube, I tried to power the display on and wtf!? The image is all distorted, having this sort of vertical pouring down going on. Also the entire power circuitry goes into a weird accelerating oscillation mode after turned on for a couple of seconds (see the youtube video link). Disconnecting backlights from power PCB has no effect on the oscillation. Disconnecting the display signal cable from between the panel and controller PCB does make difference - no more oscillation. For what it's worth, the oscillation is visible on the line voltage circuitry area, scoped that.

I wonder if I have accidentally damaged the sensitive panel circuitry during dissassembly/reassembly for the CCFL swapping. I tried to handle the panel very delicately and visual inspection does not reveal cut traces but who knows... The only thing I've done to electronics on purpose is swapping the CCFL inverter, nothing else.

A service manual might help a bit. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find one online.

I don't really know where to go from here. Obviously the problem is associated with whatever electronics are responsible for creating the image. Any help is much appreciated.

What the standard 'Check signal cable' image should look like: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/...mo.co.kr&sep=|

What the image looks now / turning on the display / oscillation problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhDJZZzUZCM
    Attached Files

Re: Image problem with Samsung 2243SN display

Bumping this after a very long period of inactivity. Is there anything to be done about this or should I just recycle the screen?

Comment

The Youtube video helped a lot. I don't think it's the panel because the vertical distortion would stay in the same area. Where is that clicking/buzzing coming from? The power supply or the main/logic board? My guess is you caught a short in one of those boards. But it might be something else. The distortion coincides with the clicking/buzzing sound.

Comment

Does it work if you try with the tester CFLs again?
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

I see the link to Samsung site in my original posting is dead. Here's a working one that shows the Check signal cable message.

Thanks guys, appreciate you looking into this.

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
          Does it work if you try with the tester CFLs again?
          Same symptoms.

Originally posted by Lumberjack777 View Post
          Where is that clicking/buzzing coming from?
          It is hard to pinpoint the actual location precisely. I rolled a sheet of paper into a "listening cone" and it seemed the sound is coming from somewhere in the area where the flat cable from TCON board connects to the driver board. The 3.3v reg in the driver board was getting unsteady input, so maybe that's it. Using DMM, I then traced that voltage track back to C231 cap in the TCON board and scoped this:

http://youtu.be/vUMxzhAdye4

Scope initially on AC setting, HDIV 5ms, VDIV 0.5V. Accelerating oscillation starts around 0:30. In the end I'm switching to DC, and the steady period can be seen to settle around 5 volts. Attached is a pic of the TCON's C231 where, again, this scoping was done. Unfortunately I couldn't find any info about 3BTCE (or 3BJCE?) that apparently outputs to C231, so I didn't trace any further. Not that it matters, I guess, as the oscillation is present through the whole system, also in the high voltage section. For some reason, it just goes all ballistic only if the flat cable between driver and TCON is connected when powered.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by munuainen; 01-07-2015, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Don't you mean C231 on the scaler\driver board?

So, the 3BTCE device (looks like Q206?) does what? Powers the TCON\Panel?

If it's got a problem on its input, then check upstream. What rail does it get power from? Maybe the PSU is oscillating.
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
            X