Someone explain this? Emachines monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone explain this? Emachines monitor

Hi, everyone, first off Happy Turkey Day!

So I have this weird phenomenon that's happened (weird unless there is an explanation I'm not aware of)

My emachines e19t5w monitor one day stopped working. As I went to turn it on, it simply shut off within a second and since then nothing would happen unless you power cycled it yielding in same result: it'd attempt to power on and within a second or two shut off.

Opened her up, and found just one bad bulging cap 470uf 25v. I replace it and still same problem existed. A friend who's more experienced with monitors suggests I replace all the remaining caps since some could be bad and not bulging, I had plenty of spares so I did. Again, same problem. He takes a look at it and notices some brown burnt stains on pcb where two small ic's are, he replaces them and the monitor works for a good hour before original problem returns.

Determined (and to get some experience testing parts, voltage drops etc) I find some online tutorials and measure voltage to best of my knowledge. That was the last thing done, out of curiosity I decide to just plug one pair of back light wires and attempt power on, monitor shuts off even quicker than before.

I notice the circuit board ground wasn't screwed in to the case (not sure if this even matters) so I fasten it and try again (with only one pair of backlight wires plugged in) the monitor turns on! and stays on. Confused now, I unplug from outlet and plug in the other pair of backlight wires, plug monitor in, turn on, and it has since then been working 100% perfectly. I'm using it now as I type. What's up with that? Anyone ever hear of this, know the explanation? Thanks!
    Last edited by caphair; 11-24-2011, 10:58 AM.

Re: Someone explain this? Emachines monitor

Can you tell who made your power supply board. Different manufacturers seem to constantly have the same problems. If you read about monitors with your power board on this forum you will probably see a pattern as to the problem. In your case it could have been something simple like one of the backlight wires not making a connection and when you removed them and put them back it took care of the problem. Might have also been the ground wire.
    Have you ever stopped to think and then forget to start thinking again?

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Comment

Originally posted by killian6pk View Post
      Can you tell who made your power supply board. Different manufacturers seem to constantly have the same problems. If you read about monitors with your power board on this forum you will probably see a pattern as to the problem. In your case it could have been something simple like one of the backlight wires not making a connection and when you removed them and put them back it took care of the problem. Might have also been the ground wire.
      Hmm didn't notice who the manufacturer is, but in terms of maybe the backlight connections were not making good connection, don't think that's the case as I've many a times tried powering on and off after taking power supply out for inspection.

Comment

Here's a picture of the same power supply in the monitor that I found online (This is not the actual one inside my monitor. Mine only had one bulging cap - the single one upper right next to heat sink)

Comment

looks a lot like the mirage electronics inverter/PSU board found in cheapo Proview monitors

like this one out of a Proview 900W
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1215867099

Comment

What brand\series were there originally and what did you replace them with?
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
              What brand\series were there originally and what did you replace them with?
              Are you asking about the capacitors?

Comment

Yes, although I guess it doesn't matter since you got it going now?

But if you are using less than reputable brands it won't help.
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Well I'm more so curious as to why it suddenly started working after curiously powering it on with just one of the back lamps plugged in. Before that it'd just power on for a second and shut itself off. Even after replacing the caps

Comment

Maybe an intermittent faulty inverter, and the fault was temporarily suppressed somehow by only connecting one lamp...

Basically, I have no idea, sorry. But someone else should be able to help...
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

So, this monitor just shut off on me and is back to original problem where it turns on for a second until the screen displays "emachines" then instantly shuts off, even power led light goes off.

Pressing power button does nothing, you have to power cycle it and then aforementioned issue happens. Any suggestions?

Comment

Yes, replace ALL the caps this time.
                        Also use low ESR caps.
                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                          Yes, replace ALL the caps this time.
                          Also use low ESR caps.
                          All the caps were replaced the first time. Well all electrolytic capacitors were replaced, and only on PSU board.
                          Last edited by caphair; 12-08-2011, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Replace them with GOOD replacements this time.
                            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                              Replace them with GOOD replacements this time.
                              Ok but even initially after I had replaced them all, I still had the same problem. The monitor then started working after I (after being somewhat stumped and curious) connected only one of the backlights in and powered on. Then powering off and connecting both in, monitor started working until today, original problem again.

Comment

Can you tell me what you had before, and what you replaced them with?

Brand, Series, Dimensions please.
                                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originals were Samxon and they were replaced with a kit for my particular model from lcdalternatives.com which say they use primarily Panasonic caps. Only marking I can see on them is a letter M inside a box, they're black and gold colored casings. Dimensions are perfect match to the originals.

Comment

Originally posted by caphair View Post
                                    Originals were Samxon and they were replaced with a kit for my particular model from lcdalternatives.com which say they use primarily Panasonic caps. Only marking I can see on them is a letter M inside a box, they're black and gold colored casings. Dimensions are perfect match to the originals.
                                    There should be a two letter code on the same side as the temperature rating. What is it? And a picture of the top of the caps would be appreciated.

PlainBill
                                    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by caphair View Post
                                      Only marking I can see on them is a letter M inside a box, they're black and gold colored casings.
                                      [M]=Matsushita=Panasonic. If they're legit, then they're very high quality capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                                        There should be a two letter code on the same side as the temperature rating. What is it? And a picture of the top of the caps would be appreciated.

PlainBill
                                        I'll have to check the two letter code tomorrow but I had taken a pic of top of board (although with cell phone for now)
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X