GLI Pro X Jam 15 iPod low output volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GLI Pro X Jam 15 iPod low output volume

I've searched the site and have zero hits for this thing... in looking at the broader web it doesn't seem that these active powered "professional" speakers were very popular. I've come into possession of one and it's pretty beat up but "working" This model has inputs for:
    Mic/Line/Guitar and there's a built in file player that takes input from SD or USB and a 7 band eq.

I'm in touch with a sales rep and am going to try to get some drawings but was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with amp issues like this on a guitar amp maybe? Perhaps someone could point me in the right place to start my diagnostics?

Thanks so much
    Attached Files

Re: GLI Pro X Jam 15 iPod low output volume

Originally posted by jwillifixit View Post
    I've searched the site and have zero hits for this thing... in looking at the broader web it doesn't seem that these active powered "professional" speakers were very popular. I've come into possession of one and it's pretty beat up but "working" This model has inputs for:
    Mic/Line/Guitar and there's a built in file player that takes input from SD or USB and a 7 band eq.

I'm in touch with a sales rep and am going to try to get some drawings but was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with amp issues like this on a guitar amp maybe? Perhaps someone could point me in the right place to start my diagnostics?

Thanks so much
    Does it put out low volume when using the iPod only?

I've worked on AV systems used outdoors in camps before, this thing certainly looks like it's seen water before. I'd recommend un plugging the unit and letting it sit for a bit and then opening the amplifier panel.

Take off all the screws on the edge of the metal amplifier panel. Once you do that, it should come off easily. Look for anything that looks abnormal, such as corrosion or rust. Give us some pictures of what you find as well so we can have a closer look.
    Popcorn.

Comment

Awesome... glad to have someone join the investigation jazzie! The volume is low with both USB & SD card inputs. I'll have to dig for another input source to test (maybe I can find a mic). I'll crack it open this evening and see what I can discover and make another post.

Comment

I couldn't find a source with an xlr or a 1/4" on it so just moved into the dissassembly & inspection... Other than it looks like someone puked all over the boards I don't see any popped cap's or fried components. There's a haze all over most of the boards. It looks like it has originated from the solder? Here's the pic's... I took the heat sink off the amp board to get a good look at the back. I didn't pull the other boards as the inputs are working, the eq is working, the mp3 decoder and usb/sd input are working.
        Attached Files

Comment

It's working... sound isn't "bad" for what it is and the condition I guess. I swear this is the biggest mp3 player I've ever seen (weighs like 50#'s). So I saw something that didn't look right. I mean it looked deliberate but wrong. Anyway I desoldered the bridge seen in the closeup and put it all back together and everything seems to be working as expected.

To be honest I'm not now fully sure there was anything actually wrong with it when I "tested" it out the first time - you see I was using the main volume knob to turn it up and at max it wasn't very loud... didn't actually notice the Vol + and Vol - buttons on the mp3 player control. So after cleaning up that bridge and checking it out I tapped the Vol + button up to 25 and then turned the main vol knob up and this thing was pretty loud.

Thanks for your guidance jazzie366!

Thoughts about the bridge (not my diagnostic abilities)...
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X