Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sceptre W22WG-Gamer won't come out of standby

Hello,
    I'm trying to help a friend of mine troubleshoot a 22" monitor of his. It's a Sceptre W22WG-Gamer and the symptom is that it will go into sleep mode but never come out of it. The way he described it he said the problem got progressively worse over time so I thought that sounded a lot like component degradation and asked him to bring it over.

I took it apart (which was a slice of heaven let me tell you) and looking at the power supply it appears there is a bank of capacitors that are visually faulty (bulging at the top). I don't see any other signs of scorch marks or blown fuses (which wouldn't really go along with the problem in my opinion).

The first picture (IMGP5489) is a close up of the bad back of caps. They say GapXon 470uf 25v and there are 4 of them. In the second picture there are four caps left from right:
    Big Green: 16v 1000uf
    Big Green: 16v 1000uf
    Little purple: 33uf 35v
    Big sideways one: can't read it, wasn't going to replace it.

I was hoping for just a little hand holding here on where to purchase and what is safe to substitute. I have soldering experience (no surface mount but this stuff I can do) and i'm not afraid to replace them, I just haven't done caps in the past.

My thoughts are replace the bank of 4 and the other 3 just to be safe, but leave the big one alone.

Any help would be great, I hope I was clear enough.
    Attached Files

Re: Sceptre W22WG-Gamer won't come out of standby

I've included two links from PlainBill on what and where to purchase:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=613

Unless the large one is bulged or leaking, it's generally ok to leave it alone. Replace all the other small caps.

Comment

Excellent summary and plan of action. Just a few points.

1. I suspect the caps are CapXon, not GapXon.

2. Yes, replace all but the big one lying on it's side.

3. I prefer Panasonic FM or FC series capacitors; other reputable manufacturers have equivalent high quality low ESR caps. See the 'Which Capacitors Should I Buy' thread in the 'Frequently Asked Questions' section.

4. We encourage you to update your profile to include your location. That makes it easier to recommend suppliers. For example, my preferred supplier is Digi-Key. They have good prices, and shipping a small order within the US is very reasonable - under $3.00. Their shipping charges are a lot less reasonable if you live outside the US.

5. Check the 'Where can I Buy Good Capacitors' thread in the FAQ for possible distributors in your area.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
        1. I suspect the caps are CapXon, not GapXon.

4. We encourage you to update your profile to include your location.
        1. Ha, ya know I swear every cap on this board had the details facing in the exact wrong way for me to read and the one I could see was just a little distorted by the heat shrink. but yeah to the point it is CapXon.

4. Fair enough. Forgot about that, doh.

hehe, see this is where the hand holding comes in a little bit. For the first batch of caps CapXon 470uf 25v (quantity four) I'm not sure which is better:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12389-ND

or

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12388-ND

It almost seems to me like the height is the big difference between them, and since height isn't an issue then the digikey P12389-ND is the choice (being cheaper).

As for the other ones:
        Big Green: 16v 1000uf (digikey P12366-ND)
        Big Green: 16v 1000uf (digikey P12366-ND)
        Little purple: 33uf 35v (digikey P12925-ND...woohoo only one choice!)

Any input in on my choices would be greatly appreciated.
        Last edited by drktrpr; 06-16-2011, 03:44 PM.

Comment

They are also different diameter. It looks like your capacitors are 8mm diameter. You should measure and check for sure. The 10mm caps will be wider and may have issues fitting. The 8mm FM will likely be a fine replacement, but to say for sure, you will need to let us know the series of capacitor as well. CapXon usually puts the series next to the temperature. So it will say XX105°C. 'XX' would be the series identifier.

The green caps appear to be Taicon. They usually put the series in parenthesis i.e. (XX)

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
            They are also different diameter. It looks like your capacitors are 8mm diameter. You should measure and check for sure. The 10mm caps will be wider and may have issues fitting. The 8mm FM will likely be a fine replacement, but to say for sure, you will need to let us know the series of capacitor as well. CapXon usually puts the series next to the temperature. So it will say XX105°C. 'XX' would be the series identifier.

The green caps appear to be Taicon. They usually put the series in parenthesis i.e. (XX)
            Ok, The 4 CapXon all say KF105°C and the 2 large Taicon (you were right) say 105°C(HF)p. The little tiny CapXon (by the big capacitor I'm not touching) says GL105°C.

Wow....I knew I needed help, what a lot of details.

Comment

Originally posted by drktrpr View Post
              Ok, The 4 CapXon all say KF105°C and the 2 large Taicon (you were right) say 105°C(HF)p. The little tiny CapXon (by the big capacitor I'm not touching) says GL105°C.

Wow....I knew I needed help, what a lot of details.
              There are two ways to do this. You can look up the specs for every cap on the board, then research which name brand cap has a series that best matches those specs. Or you can remember that most of those specs are 'better than' values. Reference point 3 in my earlier post. The monitor will work perfectly well if the ESR is a little lower, the surge current tolerance is a little higher, etc.

Stick with Panasonic FM and FC, then concentrate on the critical parameters:

Capacitance is a 'must match' parameter.

Go up in voltage only if the correct voltage is not available and the higher voltage cap will fit.

Compare the diameter and height of the originals to the proposed replacements. If two of the original caps are physically touching, you can't go with a greater diameter.

The replacement caps should be no higher than the highest cap on the board. VERY IMPORTANT. You must be able to put the covers back on!!

PlainBill
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Panasonic FR is equivalent to FM in terms of ripple an ESR, but has better lifetime specifications.

FM 470uF 25V cap = 4000 hrs at 105C
                FR 470uF 25V cap = 9000 hrs at 105C

FR is 12 cents more. I would spend the extra 12 cents.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12389-ND

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P14418-ND

Both caps above are 8mm x 20mm.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Don't forget to also change the small caps on the logic board for this one.
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                    Good catch!!! I hadn't thought along those lines.

PlainBill

Comment

Just out of curiosity is this one of those "while your there you might as well" kind of deals?

Oh and irony of irony that you'd post in this thread and also were nice enough to post a list previously of every cap necessary for this exact monitor.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=86

I'd rather be lucky than smart! That list is gold to somebody like me.

Comment

uh oh...looks like a few are now out of stock:

493-1575-ND
                        and
                        565-1599-ND

Comment

uh oh...looks like a few are now out of stock:

493-1575-ND
                          and
                          565-1599-ND
                          Sheesh!!! So use P10290-ND and P10318-ND.

PlainBill

Comment

yeah I was busy researching replacements for the logic board but I noticed that I don't have 2 22uf 50v on my logic board. So I'm going back to the drawing board and creating a list of whats is on it instead.

Comment

Just out of curiosity is this one of those "while your there you might as well" kind of deals?
                              IIRC, there were some higher value caps on the logic board. If you don't want to bother with the really tiny ones, then don't. But at least replace the ones on the logic board that have a vent.
                              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

IIRC, there were some higher value caps on the logic board. If you don't want to bother with the really tiny ones, then don't. But at least replace the ones on the logic board that have a vent.
                                it's cool, i was just trying to get my head into the mentality. i've since some to the conclusion that I never ever want to open this bad boy up again if I can help it.

Ok, I've completed my audit and think I'm on the right track. Just haven't found an exact match for C149 and C152. You can increase voltage safely right?

Logic board (all caps -40 to 105) (asterisk indicates sourced from mockingbird's original list):
                                C140 JACKCON 220uf 35v 8mm wide 10mm height 493-1578-ND*
                                C138 JACKCON 220uf 35v 8mm wide 10mm height 493-1578-ND*

C141 JACKCON 470uf 16v 8mm wide 10mm height 493-1522-ND*

C151 JACKCON 100uf 16v 5mm wide 10mm height 493-3271-ND
                                C154 JACKCON 100uf 16v 5mm wide 10mm height 493-3271-ND

C149 JACKCON 22uf 16v 4mm wide 7mm height can't find
                                C152 JACKCON 22uf 16v 4mm wide 7mm height can't find

C90 JACKCON 47uf 25v 5mm wide 10mm height P12389-ND*
                                C107 JACKCON 47uf 25v 5mm wide 10mm height P12389-ND*
                                C122 JACKCON 47uf 25v 5mm wide 10mm height P12389-ND*
                                C37 JACKCON 47uf 25v 5mm wide 10mm height P12389-ND*

C36 JACKCON 2.2uf 50v 4mm wide 7mm height 493-3280-ND

Comment

The 22uF 50V caps in the other list might be used to replace the 22uF 16V caps.

Jackcon makes a lot of caps that are unusually small. I have a Jackcon 1000uF 16V cap that is 10mm in diameter and 12.5mm tall.

Comment

C149 JACKCON 22uf 16v 4mm wide 7mm height can't find
                                    C152 JACKCON 22uf 16v 4mm wide 7mm height can't find
                                    Duh...read above where it was said that going up in voltage if you can't find the right one is acceptable. The closest I can find is 50v from 16v:

C149 JACKCON 22uf 16v 4mm wide 7mm height P12927-ND
                                    C152 JACKCON 22uf 16v 4mm wide 7mm height P12927-ND

Comment

I did all of the caps on the logic board except for one really small jackon for which I mistakenly ordered one less replacement than I needed.

I looked at the order and some of the stuff is out of stuck, so better you look up what you need.

Use equal ESR caps on the low-ESR series, and use anything you want for the general purpose caps.

Does your HDMI and DVI work by the way?

Comment

Does your HDMI and DVI work by the way?
                                        no clue, fixing it for a friend but when I power it up I can let you know.

So here's my final shopping list:

Code:
                                        power board:
                                        2x P12366-ND
                                        4x P14418-ND
                                        1x P12925-ND

Logic board (all caps -40 to 105*):
                                        C140	JACKCON	220uf	35v	8mm wide	10mm height		493-1578-ND*
                                        C138	JACKCON	220uf	35v	8mm wide	10mm height		493-1578-ND*

C141	JACKCON	470uf	16v	8mm wide	10mm height		493-1522-ND*

C151	JACKCON	100uf	16v	5mm wide	10mm height		493-3271-ND
                                        C154	JACKCON	100uf	16v	5mm wide	10mm height		493-3271-ND

C149	JACKCON 22uf	16v	4mm wide	7mm height		P12927-ND or 565-1599-ND
                                        C152	JACKCON	22uf	16v	4mm wide	7mm height		P12927-ND or 565-1599-ND

C90	JACKCON	47uf	25v	5mm wide	10mm height		P12389-ND*
                                        C107	JACKCON	47uf	25v	5mm wide	10mm height		P12389-ND*
                                        C122	JACKCON	47uf	25v	5mm wide	10mm height		P12389-ND*
                                        C37	JACKCON	47uf	25v	5mm wide	10mm height		P12389-ND*

C36	JACKCON	2.2uf	50v	4mm wide	7mm height		493-3280-ND

Comment

Working...
                                        X