Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

220UF substitute with 470UF

Hi,
    I have several Acer AL1717 monitors with blown caps; can I use 470UF, 25v, in place of the original 220UF, 25v?
    Thanks!

Re: 220UF substitute with 470UF

Originally posted by laptopgirl View Post
    Hi,
    I have several Acer AL1717 monitors with blown caps; can I use 470UF, 25v, in place of the original 220UF, 25v?
    No. Use the proper uF value. Doubling capacitance is likely not going to work.

We just had one person replace the original bloated 470uF 25V caps with 1000uF 25V and the TV stopped working. He then replaced it with the proper values (i.e. 470uF) and the TV works.

I suggest Panasonic FM for replacements.

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...2383-ND/613744

PS. Make sure the diameter and height fit.
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-25-2012, 03:25 PM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Just wondering, since I have these on hand.
      Will order ASAP. Thanks!

Comment

I agree with retiredcaps. - Use the original uF value.
        There is no way to guess what changing uF will do unless you know that particular circuit at schematic level like the back of your hand.
        If you don't then either:
        - Use the original value.
        - Draw out the schematic and do all the math to see what the uF change will do.
        Both Panasonic FM and FR are great choices for this.
        Their specs are nearly the same but the can sizes can be different for a given uF so that gives you more physical size options if space is a problem.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

I was hoping to use them, because the originals seem like junk-- but went ahead and ordered them anyways.
          Hope they last longer than the first batch! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X