HP 255 G1 - APU/SoC replacement/upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP 255 G1 - APU/SoC replacement/upgrade

This laptop is just 6 months old and still under warranty, but owner lost the receipts. Had a dead short on the 3.3v rail which unfortunately was traced back to the APU (there's not much else on this motherboard ). I have removed the APU and the short cleared and power supplies come up.

The APU is an AMD E1-2100, and it is actually a SoC, with the CPU, GPU, NB, SB integrated in one package. It's the only BGA on the board! Like here:
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Jaguar...20E1-2100.html

Now you can immediately see this is a very weak CPU. Weakest in the series actually. While browsing the service manual from HP and looking in the cpu-world database i noticed something interesting, all Jaguar APU/SoC chips are in the same package and have the same stepping. Only power consumption differs, with the slowest ones using 9W and the faster ones 15W. I first looked at this: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Jaguar...20E2-3000.html then i found this: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Jaguar...20A4-5000.html

I am thinking the following. Since the processors are all in the same package and have the same stepping, i'm quite sure they can be swapped between them. The cooler looks good enough for 15W too. I would be very surprised if there are any differences on the mainboard, since all options are offered by HP, it would make zero sense to have the OEM design a different mainboard for what is the same pinout SoC. Also, all of them have the same price for a new chip, so in my view there is no reason NOT to upgrade it to a quad core A4-5000.

So, what do you think, will this upgrade work?
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: HP 255 G1 - APU/SoC replacement/upgrade

Give it a go ! I had lenovo g500 series in my shop with dead am5000ibj44hm APU (a4 quad).
    I ordered new chip,but recived different chip am5000ibj44hm (a6 quad),but i didn`t notice it at first and replaced it...But all went fine...Now i got the another lenovo,same model,same board,same problem,but it has E1-2100 CPU,so i belive these cpu`s are interchangable...Though don`t know about firmware update...

Comment

You actually pasted both numbers the same. Anyway, the A6 quad is the only one with 25W TDP, i won't risk going that far. But the A4-5000 should work just fine.

I don't think BIOS will be a problem, as there is only one BIOS update for the whole series. Thus the microcode should be there for all APUs. It would be too big/pointless hassle for them to restrict the APUs via BIOS, like they do for some socketed CPUs, as BGA rework is out of the reach of the average joe.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Hehe my mistake i meant am5200iaj44hm...
        Well i hope everything will be ok...you`re right ,it`s a low budget laptop,it isn`t suposed to be so much hassle with firmware...
        About 25w tdp,i modded cooling a little bit temps are fine and system is stable...

Comment

i plan to move to a new flat and i`m putting some money aside so i can buy a bga station.

i was thinking for this from the first time i saw the first soldered CPU.

can you upgrade the Celeron to?
          Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Working...
          X