Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony 46w5500 repaired but wrong model number

Hi,
    During a storm my 46w5500 was dead with 8 red blinks.
    I successfully repaired it replacing the motherboard with an used one (with the same reference).
    However in the system menu I have 40W4710 as model number.
    I think that the model number is stored in the motherboard firmware. I'd like to know if is it possible to change it and how?
    I think that a service tool from sony exists to do that. Am i correct?
    Otherwise I located 2 eeproms on the motherboard and probably the firmware is stored there. I could prabably dump the old one from the broken motherboard and program the new one or simply swap them?
    Any idea?
    Thanks in advance!

Re: Sony 46w5500 repaired but wrong model number

If the set is now working correctly--Is there much point in going to the trouble of changing eeproms --with possible bricking it,--Just to change the menu model-number....?
    TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
    http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
    PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Yeah, if it works, I'd just leave it alone...

That said, you might want to check that the new board is driving the rest of the set correctly... Theoretically the wrong firmware may cause damage... but I don't really know.
      Last edited by Agent24; 11-04-2014, 03:04 AM.
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

No and... yes!

I have different reasons:

1. The first one is that it took me about 3 months of worldwide search to find the right motherboard with exactly the same reference number. Many other cards were availables which looked exactly the same but with different last 2 digits in the reference number. Vendors told that they didn't know if they could work in my tv or not. Thay talk about different firmware versions so I thought that being capable of reprogramming the firmware could make easier to swap motherboards from one model to another.

2. Features : my tv is newer than the tv model the motherboard is from. So now it lacks some features like dlna and probably image processing is not the same.

3. Knowledge!

So if someone had done it before or has informations on tools for firmware motherboard programming for sony tv, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
          That said, you might want to check that the new board is driving the rest of the set correctly... Theoretically the wrong firmware may cause damage... but I don't really know.
          Another good reason!

Comment

EEPROM swap would be easy, with the right soldering gear.
            If you get an EEPROM programmer you can probably read back the ROM too.

If you feel confident, try that and see what happens. But if you trash the EEPROM you may be waiting another 3 months...
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

If you want, you can change the memory chip from the old board, but perhaps there is corrupted firmware as 8 flashes. Or use a service mode 2 change. As an example ....
              Attached Files

Comment

TBH--I dont think the reasons that you list are enough to warrant the possibility of damaging the replacement board. As is, The board wont damage anything else as its working correctly.

If DLNA is not functional in that board, it may not be JUST the firmware that is different--Maybe there's other parts not fitted/different to that board needed for it.--Happens all the time.

Installing a different/wrong F/W for THAT version board may well brick it, as you did say there's an age difference too.....

If it aint broke--Dont 'Fix' it!
                TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Originally posted by kasfamily View Post
                  If you want, you can change the memory chip from the old board, but perhaps there is corrupted firmware as 8 flashes. Or use a service mode 2 change. As an example ....
                  Great! Could you explain some more on service mode 2 change? What document is the photo from?
                  My service manual for EX2L-Basil CHASSIS doesn't have any details about service mode configuration. It tells just how to enter and save data but no explanation about different parameters.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair E View Post
                    If DLNA is not functional in that board, it may not be JUST the firmware that is different--Maybe there's other parts not fitted/different to that board needed for it.--Happens all the time.
                    Really? Is it possible to have motherboards with differents parts but exactly the same reference number?

Comment

Originally posted by o3365566 View Post
                      Really? Is it possible to have motherboards with differents parts but exactly the same reference number?
                      Depends on which reference number you refer to, the one printed on the board or one on a sticker? Board print usually just keys for the blank version of that board, which can be loaded in many possible configurations (with/without DLNA capable processor for example)
                      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                        Depends on which reference number you refer to, the one printed on the board or one on a sticker? Board print usually just keys for the blank version of that board, which can be loaded in many possible configurations (with/without DLNA capable processor for example)
                        OK, I understand. In effect I was talking about the number is printed on the board. I will check the reference number on the sticker too. Thanks!

Comment

The sticker number counts the most. Look up shopjimmy too, what they suggest to do when this board is replaced, most like a firmware update.

Comment

Working...
                          X