iiyama ProLite E481S - No Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iiyama ProLite E481S - No Power

Picked up 4 monitors today so I thought I would share my experiences with them.

First up was was the iiyama ProLite E481S

Advertised Issue : No Power at all

Taking the monitor apart ( Regulars may skip ) : There are 2 caps on the left and right of the stand where it attaches to the monitor these are easily removed with a flat headed screwdriver. This reveals 4 screws that need to be taken out to remove the stand.

There are then 5 screws around the back of the monitor 2 small at the top and 3 larger ones at the bottom which need to be taken out. The monitor then needs to be carefully pulled apart from the bottom then down the sides which allows you to pull the back off releasing it at the top.

2 screws holding the metal cover on need removing to reveal the boards.

Testing : All fuses checked on there were 3 in total and the big filter cap measures 330V + when turned on so I knew the juice was getting there. I did notice 2 badly blown caps at the top of the board.

C914 - 1000uf 16v
    C915 - 1000uf 16v

I didn't have any 16v caps so I used a couple of 25v ones instead.

Once these were fitted I gave the monitor a quick test and it fired up fine. I then put it back together and its been on all the time I have been writing this out so that seems to have done it.

Just a quick note on this too. It took ages for the main filter cap to discharge itself. I know veterans would never take a risk playing with the board without checking that its discharged but for all other newbies make sure the board has fully discharged before you start to handle it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jasgriff; 04-03-2012, 07:50 AM.
    Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
    Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Re: iiyama ProLite E481S - No Power

Congratz for your new monitor.

There're easier ways to discharge the main filter cap, like using a screwdriver, the leads of the MMD or a resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocta View Post
      There're easier ways to discharge the main filter cap, like using a screwdriver, the leads of the MMD or a resistance.
      Regarding the screwdriver, see

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_sm...ml#SMPSFAQ_019
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Jasgriff View Post
        It took ages for the main filter cap to discharge itself.
        I use aligator clips with my multimeter probes and clip them onto the large capacitor and watch it discharge to 0V DC before proceeding to work on the board.

Some ATX power supplies can hold a charge for a long time too.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          I use aligator clips with my multimeter probes and clip them onto the large capacitor and watch it discharge to 0V DC before proceeding to work on the board.

Some ATX power supplies can hold a charge for a long time too.
          Do you have the proper fluke ones? I want to buy some but not sure which ones to get can you point me in the right direction?
          Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
          Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Jasgriff View Post
            Do you have the proper fluke ones?
            1) No I don't. Since I buy all my Flukes used, I have never gotten the real ones (part number Fluke AC72).

2) These generics should work for $3.99. The quality of the plastic will probably be not as good as the real Fluke

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280777695195

Free shipping to UK too!

3) If you want to spend $2.50 USD (free shipping to UK) more, you can get these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230769554721

These ones are meant for the Chinese market Fluke 15B/17B

I would probably get the Fluke AC10.

4) Another option is mini grabbers. See

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270943928888

I'm thinking about these for troubleshooting ATX power supplies which are very cramped.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
              I would probably get the Fluke AC10.
              This is assuming the Fluke AC10 will fit the test leads that you have.

Some test leads are more fat/skinny than others.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
              X