HP 2159m So CLose to Fixing and Yet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP 2159m So CLose to Fixing and Yet...

Hi, with some help from this forum I figured out that the problem with my monitor having no power was a bad VR (U201) on the main board. I replaced it and the monitor powers up, shows menus, etc. Unfortunately, the image is now covered with tiny green flashing lines. Maybe you have run into this problem? Here are my ideas so far:
    1. I did not solder the VR in well enough. It has 4 legs, and one might be in intermittent contact?
    2. I did not properly connect the ribbon data cable. This is possible because the connectors are hard. On the main board, there is a friction piece that slides and holds it in but on the LCD side the connector was held in with a well placed piece of packaging tape! So maybe I did not tape it in correctly.
    3. I sort of abused the aluminum tape that connects the board box to the LCD panel, it has tears in it etc, but I don't even know what the point of it is.

Any help would be really appreciated. This monitor is so close to working again!
    Attached Files

Re: HP 2159m So CLose to Fixing and Yet...

Hi
    re 1 retest the voltages at the regulator if it holds steady should be ok.
    re 2 Sounds most likely to be the problem - Please post close ups of the connectors.
    If it is a flat cable where it goes into the screen take it out and clean with some
    Isopropyl alcolhol than re try. ( This often gets moved during re- assembly make
    sure the tape is secure.)
    re 3 Any strong tape, that doesnt come unstuck in heat will do

Try also reseating the cable between pc and monitor or even try another one.

WHY HAVE YOU STARTED A NEW THREAD!! ALL The previous info is lost
    to anyone reading this.

SUGGEST you re post this query in the old post and let this one die.
    Last edited by selldoor; 11-11-2012, 12:32 PM. Reason: dup thread
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Re: HP 2159m So CLose to Fixing and Yet...

I STARTED THIS THREA... wait, caps lock, sorry.

I started this thread because no one was replying to my post on the old thread, and someone suggested I start a new one. But I got a reply, so yay.

Anyway, I followed your advice and focused on the ribbon data cable, pics (poor, sorry) below. I cleaned the ends with solvent, and it turned out that the connector on the LCD side was actually bent. I dont know the english word, but in russian we say "someone attached it by means of snot". So, this connector on the HP monitor was attached by means of snot. I bent it back into shape, attached the ribbon cable with tape just like it was, and NOW IT WORKS! ISSUE RESOLVED! THREAD CAN DIE HAPPY! ... oh sorry, caps lock again.
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X