Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio XVT553SV

Hello,
    I have a Vizio XVT553SV, I got this from my daughter and son-in-law. I'll cut to the chase:

1) TV turns on, great picture and sound
    2) Then 90-120 minutes on, screen flickers, horizontal lines appear (see pics), some popping and cracking heard
    3) Turned off, waited 30-45 seconds, tried to turn back on, splash V appears, no picture but do have sound
    4) Left TV on, after about 45-60 minutes, picture appears and looks great
    5) After 10-15 minutes, picture goes black, but sound is still working

I am very willing to follow DETAILED instructions on how to trouble-shoot the boards.

I would appreciate it if when we start to check voltages, ohms, etc, that you please be gentle cause I'm new to the “checking” of voltages and the like. I have built my own computer (with help), put that's mostly plug and pray.

Last bit of info, I'll need to buy a digital meter. Finally, taking wife to Las Vegas for her birthday, so I'll be gone March 24-26th. I'm apologizing in advance if I don't reply in a timely manner.

Thank-you for your time and patience.
    Attached Files

Re: Vizio XVT553SV

Originally posted by Fyreman View Post
    Hello,
    I have a Vizio XVT553SV, I got this from my daughter and son-in-law. I'll cut to the chase:

1) TV turns on, great picture and sound
    2) Then 90-120 minutes on, screen flickers, horizontal lines appear (see pics), some popping and cracking heard
    3) Turned off, waited 30-45 seconds, tried to turn back on, splash V appears, no picture but do have sound

I am very willing to follow DETAILED instructions on how to trouble-shoot the boards.

I would appreciate it if when we start to check voltages, ohms, etc, that you please be gentle cause I'm new to the “checking” of voltages and the like. I have built my own computer (with help), but that's mostly plug and pray.
    Just hoping that someone might give a stab at the possible problem and recommended solution. Thanks

Comment

Heya

When you say pop and crackles as in electric type sound of shorting?

When you leave the set off for a while and repeat the above do you again hear pops and crackles? From speaker maybe?

If so looks to be the main at fault but not 100% sure, let one of the other guys chime in

Comment

Thanks for the reply-

When you say pop and crackles as in electric type sound of shorting?- Yes

When you leave the set off for a while and repeat the above do you again hear pops and crackles? From speaker maybe?- Nothing heard, don't think it's the speakers

If so looks to be the main at fault but not 100% sure, let one of the other guys chime in- I will and thanks again

Comment

Ok so sounds like something fried.

Sniff test... Do any of the burns emit a burnt smell?

Comment

Did that (smelled/sniffed), no odor that would point to it being fried.

This is the weird part:

It continues to loop into this cycle.

Comment

Check underside of the boards for any visual discoloration.

Comment

All boards? It'll take awhile...

Comment

Maybe a bad solder joint? Since it takes 90-120 min for the flickering, etc to appear, try heating each board with a hairdryer to accelerate the process. This might help isolate which board is causing the problem. I'd start with the mainboard first.

Comment

Had all boards out and inspected, used magnifying glass to get the best view possible (old eyes?), nothing to note.

Put boards back in, went the hair dryer route, when TV was first turned on (before using hd), TV was already flickering with horz lines. Used hd to try to knock picture out, no success.

At this time, TV still playing with horz lines (110 minutes).

Comment

Hello jetadm123 and newtothis,

Any other suggestions or possible testing areas I should be looking at? It is a very sad commentary on Vizio that the TV went belly up after just exactly 4 years. This wasn't a "cheap" or off brand set...
                      Last edited by Fyreman; 03-30-2015, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Bump...

Comment

Final follow-up, replaced Main Board- part #3655-0122-0150. Fixed problem, picture looks great.

Comment

Working...
                          X