power board repair questions, help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

power board repair questions, help

I have a 19inch gateway lcd monitor. It has not power when plugging it in not even a led light from the power button. when i jiggle the power cord it will briefly blink with lights on the power button and the screen itself.

after taking it all apart i find that all 6 of my caps are bulging and there is a burn mark on the board.

http://tinypic.com/r/20jimur/5

you cant tell but the caps are bulged, but im worried about the burn mark. Could this whole board be bad?

after i get some fedback of, if this is worth the money in caps to repair or if the board looks trashed. I will order some caps from ebay or go to radioshack and begin the repair.

and tips would be appreciated. This is my first cap repair. And I am a newb at electronic repairs.
    Last edited by balls20; 11-24-2011, 06:15 AM.

Re: power board repair questions, help

It's not unusual to have boards like that, looking like they're burned. it doesn't mean it's bad.

A new board will cost you around 25-30$ - capacitors will cost you about 10$ (shipping included). You should change all except the big large one rated for 200-400v - I'm counting 11 on the board (there's one by the transformer that's important)

You don't need a lot of experience to replace them, they're easy to solder on but if you don't have a soldering gun and soldering wire, it may be cheaper to buy a new board from eBay.

Comment

balls20
      check out the 3 fuses on the board you may need to order a new one as well
      if you dont have solderig, iron beg or borrow one and have fun repairing it
      Last edited by trebo; 11-24-2011, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
        It's not unusual to have boards like that, looking like they're burned. it doesn't mean it's bad.

A new board will cost you around 25-30$ - capacitors will cost you about 10$ (shipping included). You should change all except the big large one rated for 200-400v - I'm counting 11 on the board (there's one by the transformer that's important)

You don't need a lot of experience to replace them, they're easy to solder on but if you don't have a soldering gun and soldering wire, it may be cheaper to buy a new board from eBay.
        Just to ease me mind from worry. This has to be a board problem right? No power = problem with power board is what I'm hoping for hate to spend money and have no results.

i was told that even if my caps are bulged it should still work? from another forum.

could anyone show me wear to order a board like this? only boards ive seen like this is repair kits caps only.
        or
        is it possible others boards will fit and work?

ya i got soldiering gun and paper clips so im good on that.

Comment

Originally posted by balls20 View Post
          i was told that even if my caps are bulged it should still work? from another forum.
          What site would that be? Can you provide a link?
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
            What site would that be? Can you provide a link?
            Heres a link to wear i that.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/31...8-monitor-wont

does this guy know what he's talking about?

Comment

you cant tell but the caps are bulged, but im worried about the burn mark. Could this whole board be bad?
              In the future, we prefer pictures uploaded to this forum and not posted inline for a number of reasons. You can add pictures using the manage attachments feature.

We can definitely tell the caps are bloated.

after i get some fedback of, if this is worth the money in caps to repair or if the board looks trashed. I will order some caps from ebay or go to radioshack and begin the repair.

and tips would be appreciated. This is my first cap repair. And I am a newb at electronic repairs.
              Because the caps are bloated, they will not be functioning properly. This means the voltages supplied to the logic board (where you VGA and DVI are) and the inverter board (where the backlights are) will be low. This means the power LED and backlight will not function properly.

Replacing the caps will likely solve your problem, but it is not 100% guarantee because the bad caps may have caused other components to fail.

If you are new to electronics repair and have no multimeter, no soldering iron, no solder, and have no desire to learn, then buying a replacement board might be your best option.

RadioShack will not carry the proper capacitors. Ebay may have sellers selling counterfeit caps. Online vendors like digikey and mouser have the proper caps and are legit.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Heres a link to wear i that.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/31...8-monitor-wont

does this guy know what he's talking about?
                Bloated caps MAY work. I have seen ATX power supplies and motherboards personally that have bloated caps and still function. It may not function well with BSODs and low voltage or fluctating voltage.

For example, if the caps are parallel, one bloated cap may not be enough to cause the circuit to fail. Say there are 5 caps in parallel and 1 is bloated, the other 4 may keep the circuit running.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

all 6 of the caps are bloated. but when i jiggle the power cord near the monitor power input it gives me a flicker of light on button and the screen, could this be indicating that the the caps are *not my main problem? If all the caps are bad then is there a good chance that it has damaged another part of the board? With bad caps shouldn't i at least get the orange standby light on the monitor off and on button?
                  Last edited by balls20; 11-24-2011, 08:46 PM.

Comment

With bad caps shouldn't i at least get the orange standby light on the monitor off and on button?
                    No, not necessarily. I've had a monitor not power up due to 1 bad cap, and that cap wasn't even bulged.

Also, don't buy caps from Radio Shack or through ebay! Radio Shack doesn't have the right kind of caps for this application and most of the caps on ebay are fake and will eventually bloat just like the ones you have now. There's only 1 seller on ebay that sells genuine legit caps.
                    As retiredcaps suggested, digikey.com and mouser.com are good online places to buy caps (if you're in the USA). The Badcaps.net store might also have the caps you need.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                      No, not necessarily. I've had a monitor not power up due to 1 bad cap, and that cap wasn't even bulged.
                      This is NOT a 100% correct analogy, but it might help explain the situation.

Since it is close to the holiday season, let's take the example of parallel vs series holiday lights.

Lights in parallel will still work if one or more of them are out. If enough lights are out, the aesthetics may look poor, but the display is working. If only 1 light is out, the aesthetics may look pleasing and no one may notice the 1 light out.

Lights in seres will NOT work if one or more lights are out. It may momentarily come on and flash, but will quickly die.

So depending on the layout of the power board, that is why bloated (i.e. bad) caps MAY work. It all depends on circuit layout (think parallel vs series). Some circuits will may tolerate a bad cap or two and others won't.

Let me be crystal clear. Bloated caps are ALWAYS BAD.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

One thing that stands out - jiggling the power cord causes a change. This should NOT be happening. Resolder the power input connector, make sure the power cord is firmly seated, and look for bad solder joints in the input area.

As far as the bloated caps, recap with name brand, low ESR caps. Don't screw around at Radio Shack, eBay, or some TV repair shop that insists CapXon caps are excellent.

With respect for retiredcaps, his analogy to lights is appropriate for the season, but flawed. A better analogy would be the lug nuts holding the wheels on a car. If all are properly torqued, you don't have to worry about any wheels coming off. If a few are loose, it places greater stress on the rest AND on the wheels. And the consequences of failure can be catastrophic.

PlainBill
                        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Working...
                        X