Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung SyncMaster 932B- Help?

Hi guys,

I've had this monitor for quite some time and my problem is exactly similar to what another member posted:

"When it's off for around 30 minutes, several minutes of flickering and hitting power switch repeatedly is needed to get it to turn on. It will flicker really fast for a bit, then turn off. When I cycle the power switch a few times, it eventually stays on. Sometimes it stays dark until I cycle the power switch a few times, then starts flickering, and after more cycling eventually stays on."

I opened the case to find the caps at fault for my misery (pics included) and was wondering if someone could have a look at the replacement caps I'm considering as found via the guide here.

List:

Capaxon GL 820uf 25v (10x16mm-measured myself the data sheet lists it incorrectly, Ripple:1.46A, ESR: 43 mOhm) to EEU-FR1E821

Capaxon GL 470uf 25v (10x16mm, Ripple:1.04A, ESR: 65 mOhm) to EEU-FR1E471

Capaxon KM 1000uf 10v (10x12.5m, Ripple:.520A, ESR: none listed) to EEU-FR1A102L

Capaxon KM 330uf 10v (8x11.5mm, Ripple:.255A, ESR: none listed) to EEU-FC1A331

Capaxon KM 1uf 50v (5x11mm, Ripple:.13A, ESR: none listed) to EEU-FC1H1R0

Questions:

1) Should I be concerned that the manufacturer didn't post ESR rating on their data sheet making me unable to cross check them with the intended replacement?

2) The majority of the replacements are larger than the originals in terms of height and will hit the roof of the chassis, but still fit. Is the contact something to be concerned about?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gr8st121; 12-09-2011, 09:33 PM. Reason: broken links

Re: Samsung SyncMaster 932B- Help?

Originally posted by gr8st121 View Post
    Questions:

1) Should I be concerned that the manufacturer didn't post ESR rating on their data sheet making me unable to cross check them with the intended replacement?
    If there is no ESR spec, then they were general purpose caps to begin with. You can use "entry level" low ESR caps like Panasonic FC and it will be fine.

2) The majority of the replacements are larger than the originals in terms of height and will hit the roof of the chassis, but still fit. Is the contact something to be concerned about?
    You should get the proper height. I would not risk a short by letting the caps touch the chassis.

See if Panasonic FM is shorter in the same uF and voltage. For example, this Panasonic FM 470uF 25V cap is 10x16mm

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...2388-ND/613749

and still meets or exceeds the original specs.
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 12-09-2011, 09:26 PM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi retiredcaps,

Thanks so much for the guide and the follow up response to my post.

The chassis actually has a plastic flap attached to its inner where the cap would normally touch so no metal/metal action would be occurring so I doubt the possibility of a short, but you're right I'd much rather have similar height specs.

Unfortunately, searching the FR, FM, FC sequence of panny caps only resulted in taller caps. Oh well, I guess I'll just go with it. Does everything else look ok to you? Don't want anything imploding! Thanks again.

Comment

Oh well, I guess I'll just go with it. Does everything else look ok to you? Don't want anything imploding!
        It looks good. Just remember to match the polarity when installing the new caps and nothing should explode. We have a few people who installed it backwards.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Will do. Sorry one last question, there's a cap that's caked in some kind of thermal paste (reference overhead pic) to the left of the that blue knoby thing (no idea what it's called), should that be replaced as well? If so, do I have to reapply the paste or would a new cap sans paste suffice?

Comment

Will do. Sorry one last question, there's a cap that's caked in some kind of thermal paste (reference overhead pic) to the left of the that blue knoby thing (no idea what it's called), should that be replaced as well? If so, do I have to reapply the paste or would a new cap sans paste suffice?
            Yes, the cap should be replaced. The white stuff is adhesive that's used to hold the cap in place during the soldering process. It does not need to be replaced.

Comment

blue knoby thing (no idea what it's called),
              On the board, there is a PCB designator. It should start with a C for capacitor. It is a ceramic capacitor.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
              X