Hanns Spree 28" Monitor ( HF289H ) Will not Power Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanns Spree 28" Monitor ( HF289H ) Will not Power Up

Hello. I have read a few posts here about it and of course I have the same problem. The other models I read about are a different model and Pics show the Power Supply Board to be a bit different. I have had the same problems as the other posts for a few years. Worked fine for several years then Every time I turned off the Monitor it took 15 mins to start once powering up the CPU. Then Progressively it took up to 3 or even 3 hrs to power up. Around August this summer I decided to just leave it on all the time and not power it off since it was a Headache to get it to power back up. Well about a week ago got home around 10:00 PM and the CPU running but Monitor was out. The Amber and or Blue Light to show if power is on iss not blue anymore. Here is how it goes. When the Monitor was acting up it would only flick an amber light if one connected and disconnected the HDMI line coming from the Video Card. Every once in a while in the past once connecting and disconnecting the HDMI it would make the power come on or make the blue light come on and remain on. Now " No Power at all after waiting hours..... but the light will still flicker to amber if one disconnects and Reconnects the HDMI line to the Monitor. From all I read I am assuming it is the Capacitor, or the Fuse.. Now I am a Handy Person on all aspects but Never Studied capacitors and so on. lol Anyways I am a lil Lost but willing to Replace a Capacitor or 2 or 3 if needed. I have a Multimeter and a Soldering gun. I dont know where to start based on my Power supply board and or Logic Board. I did take some pics. I have Large files if needed but will posts some 2000 x 1400ish as requested by Admins. I did notice my Logic Board has a Large heat spot on it but all caps seem to be OK or at least not swollen at all. On my PSB there seems to be one of them that has not really swollen like I have seen some in the past somewhere...lol But it is a lot more bulged than the surrounding ones. Any Input will help. Thanks. Manny

Actually Pics wouldnt Load.... It said something about a needing a token...

Re: Hanns Spree 28" Monitor ( HF289H ) Will not Power Up

Originally posted by MannyOM View Post
    Hello. I have read a few posts here about it and of course I have the same problem. The other models I read about are a different model and Pics show the Power Supply Board to be a bit different. I have had the same problems as the other posts for a few years. Worked fine for several years then Every time I turned off the Monitor it took 15 mins to start once powering up the CPU. Then Progressively it took up to 3 or even 3 hrs to power up. Around August this summer I decided to just leave it on all the time and not power it off since it was a Headache to get it to power back up. Well about a week ago got home around 10:00 PM and the CPU running but Monitor was out. The Amber and or Blue Light to show if power is on iss not blue anymore. Here is how it goes. When the Monitor was acting up it would only flick an amber light if one connected and disconnected the HDMI line coming from the Video Card. Every once in a while in the past once connecting and disconnecting the HDMI it would make the power come on or make the blue light come on and remain on. Now " No Power at all after waiting hours..... but the light will still flicker to amber if one disconnects and Reconnects the HDMI line to the Monitor. From all I read I am assuming it is the Capacitor, or the Fuse.. Now I am a Handy Person on all aspects but Never Studied capacitors and so on. lol Anyways I am a lil Lost but willing to Replace a Capacitor or 2 or 3 if needed. I have a Multimeter and a Soldering gun. I dont know where to start based on my Power supply board and or Logic Board. I did take some pics. I have Large files if needed but will posts some 2000 x 1400ish as requested by Admins. I did notice my Logic Board has a Large heat spot on it but all caps seem to be OK or at least not swollen at all. On my PSB there seems to be one of them that has not really swollen like I have seen some in the past somewhere...lol But it is a lot more bulged than the surrounding ones. Any Input will help. Thanks. Manny

Actually Pics wouldnt Load.... It said something about a needing a token...
    The 'token' issue is because the pictures are too large. I use Hamrick's Vueprint Pro to crop and adjust picture size. It's free; note the serial number when you download it.

Microsoft Live Photo Gallery and Paint will also do the job.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks Bill... I looked them over and 2 of them were 1.97 and 1.92 Mb's... I knew the limit was 1.9 on JPG's. I was just trying to keep it a bit too close for best viewing purposes.. Well here they are. Thanks Bill.

Manny
      Attached Files

Comment

Worked fine for several years then Every time I turned off the Monitor it took 15 mins to start once powering up the CPU. Then Progressively it took up to 3 or even 3 hrs to power up. Around August this summer I decided to just leave it on all the time and not power it off since it was a Headache to get it to power back up.
        This sounds like symptoms of dried up caps with high ESR. As the caps warm up, the ESR drops and allows the circuit to work. This is very similar to

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11329

The OP found 3 dried up caps with an ESR tester.

Since caps don't always bloat when they go bad, the standard recommendation from members is to replace ALL the electrolytic caps on the power board with the exception of the largest filter cap which rarely, but not never, fails. Use something like Panasonic FM series caps.

If you also follow the above thread, you can use your multimeter to see if 5V standby is present on your board or not.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

One quick question... On the Original Brown caps... Is the Gray Stripe with the red dot the negative pole? Because I just replaced the cap and placed the negative pole on the new Radio Shack cap on the same hole on the board. It tripped my braaker or GF5 wen I tried attaching the power cord.. I did have a llose screw that might of grounded the case to the HeatSink Plate... Everything seems cool hopefully.

Comment

Is the Gray Stripe with the red dot the negative pole?
            The stripe is usually negative. Pay attention BEFORE you desolder which way the cap sits on the board.

This site has a good cap tutorial in the FAQ

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485

Because I just replaced the cap and placed the negative pole on the new Radio Shack cap on the same hole on the board.
            Do NOT use Radio Shack caps. They sell general purpose caps are NOT suitable for this SMPS application. You need low ESR caps like Panasonic FM series available from mouser or digikey.

PS. Check your soldering. If you created a solder bridge, it may lead to a short. It sounds like the loose screw would have tripped your breaker.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi
              I used one of your pics of the PS on HF289H and added info on caps measured with ESR meter.
              The pic #1 info has all the values measured on the board with all caps replaced.
              It was dark screen, no LEd before. Now is OK.
              The pic # 2 info has values measured on another bad board.
              It was yellow LED not starting up.
              I replaced just one cap which looked totally out of specs (C603) and now I get blue LED.
              I measured all the caps removed from board # 1 and it looks like all the 22uF 35V caps are problematic.
              I will replace all the caps but the board already works.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X