Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to get an Oscilloscope

Hi,
    For awhile I was thinking to get the Rigol 50mhz in order to hack it but I think that's too risky to try since one dont know for sure if the firmware version in it will be hackable........
    So the 100mhz would be the next option although I've been more inqulined to get a used tektronix for a lot less money.

I'm a beginner in electronics and I plan to use it to aid me when troubleshooting the different devices, mostly high def TV and laptops motherboards.

How does one go about calibration? Could this be a big impact when considering an old used one? Does one need to purchase a signal generator or usually send the scope somewhere for calibration. What is the best option? Is calibration doable by a beginner tech?

Thanks

Re: Looking to get an Oscilloscope

In all honesty, 50 Mhz is enough for a beginner, enough for switching power supplies, hd tv, pretty much anything you'd find.

I have the Rigol 1052 and didn't feel the need to hack it to 100 Mhz yet.

Would I buy it again now?

I'd do some serious research to find something with equivalent or better features but most importantly a larger screen - I feel the 320x240 screen resolution is the only downside of this scope right now considering the basic things I use it for now.
    At so low price, all have some quirks.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
      Hi,
      although I've been more inqulined to get a used tektronix for a lot less money.
      Thanks
      Due the fact, that this is a product with more wider support in your country, it does look as a more safer bet.
      But be warned that regarding spare parts, Tektronix isnt cheap.
      And the calibration services comes in a fixed pricing which is high for scopes.

My advice would be get the used one, only if the seller is close to your area (max two hours by a car).
      So to be able to return it and get your money back if something goes wrong.

Comment

Thanks for you responses guys.
        Any information about calibration? What do I need to be able to calibrate an oscilloscope for general use?

Comment

Precision equipment - DC voltage references, frequency standards, AC calibrators.

But the average hobbyist is fine with the +/-1.5% accuracy on DC volts and +/-20ppm timebase error the Rigol offers, which is unlikely to drift.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Each day I'm more sure that I'll eventually get a tektronix.
            The use is gonna be for generic troubleshooting of TVs and computer motherboards.
            I hope that a regular calibration is more than enough for these tasks, then again I dont know what I'm talking about

Comment

Tektronix DSO are ancient, can't compete. 2.5k of sample memory, slow STN black/white display, slow/difficult interface, lack of features, and they've only just added USB. If you want a name brand, get the Agilent DSO1052B -- but be aware, this is just a rebadged Rigol!

Their CRT scopes, on the other hand, are damn good. Of course, they don't make those any more.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

On my list of favourite brands, Tektronix is my favourite brand of oscilloscope, but LeCroy is equally good, considering the fact that they pioneered the digital oscilloscope.
                My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

New low end LeCroy scopes are re-badged Siglent/Atten -- generic basic Chinese-designed and made oscilloscopes. Not too bad if you can use them, but lots of software bugs and poorly translated English.

Comment

I'm meeting someone tomorrow that is selling a Tektronix 2430. It's showing two errors on the start up self test but I've been reading around and this may be taken care of easily with just tweaking the settings and suchs and I have the service manual for it too. So I'm Ok with taking my chances for $50.

Wishing me luck again

Comment

Hi,
                      I got the tektronix but it needs some maintenance, so it's gonna sit for awhile until I can get to it.

On the other hand I took the plunge and got a RIGOL DS11O2E.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                        Hi,
                        I got the tektronix but it needs some maintenance, so it's gonna sit for awhile until I can get to it.

On the other hand I took the plunge and got a RIGOL DS11O2E.
                        If you're up for it, buy a second, non-working Tek of the same model and use that for parts. Try ebay.

Comment

My list of favourite models changed many times in 2012, and the surprize came from GW Instek and their latest GDS-2102A.

Comes with lots of spikes of inovation and in a very acceptable price.
                          Even comes with advantages over the Agilent 3000 series, and strikes even the Rigol 4000 in some points.

I think that I found the proper scope for my requairments that is an advanced DSO which I will never be able to bring it in their limits.

Comment

Working...
                          X