Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having trouble identifying blown Cap in AMP

Hi,

Just been searching for a replacement Cap for my AMP and came accross the forum. (Nice name )

Thought perhaps someone here may be able to help me identify the part.

Its a rather large Cap (55x34mm) from a Stageline amplifier and the only marking on it is M0010 (other then the polarity marking). Coulour is black.

Having searched the the usual parts/docs sites, having no luck finding the part

Thanks

Re: Having trouble identifying blown Cap in AMP

Have you tried the AMP manufacturers website? Some of them put their schematics and or parts list online. Put the make/ model on here and someone may know.

Comment

The Amps a Stageline STA-1508 (same series as 1504/1506). I have been looking for schematics for it but not come up with anything yet.

The CAP is located on the main power supply board. Appears to be 48v accross it. There are 6 of these Caps in total, with this one having gone bang in spectacular fashion

Comment

I can't find anything on this either. Is the amp inop right now? Stills powers on? Pull the bad one and measure the volts on the others to make sure it is still 48VDC. If it still powers on I would pull 2 of the others like it and measure the uf on them. Then go with 100 volts and I would probably replace all 6 of them. That's just me though. I'm sure others have other ideas.
        Last edited by steve2; 02-16-2011, 09:14 AM. Reason: added to comment

Comment

Originally posted by steve2 View Post
          I can't find anything on this either. Is the amp inop right now? Stills powers on? Pull the bad one and measure the volts on the others to make sure it is still 48VDC. If it still powers on I would pull 2 of the others like it and measure the uf on them. Then go with 100 volts and I would probably replace all 6 of them. That's just me though. I'm sure others have other ideas.
          Your previous post prompted me to go back to the manufacturers website to double check for schematics and fortunately I came accross a contact email. They got back to me within a couple of hours providing the schematics which show it to be 6800uF/63V. Although they said there was no part marked M0010 on the AMP (6 of them sitting infront of me), have to say thumbs up to them for the quick response.

Having a search for compatible parts now, will probably replace it and its neighbour initially. If there are no other faults then will replace the rest. Just incase something else has caused it to pop, as they make quite expensive fireworks

Still find it suprising that they werent marked. First time I've ever come accross Caps with no meaningfull markings on them

Thanks again for taking the time to help, fingers crossed i'll be annoying the neighbours again by the weekend

Comment

That's good that they answered you. I don't understand why they only put a date code on them. If I made something, I would want to have my name on it, but I would be sure it was quality before I put it out. I did an amp for a friend in a band a few months ago. It was a QSC and they had the schematic on line along with replacement parts (which were less expensive than I could find them elsewhere). Anyway, good luck with it.

Comment

Just thought i'd report back and confirm replacing the blown cap and the adjacent cap appears to have fixed the AMP. Found suitable replacements at RS components (have one near by). Maplin and Farnell also carry them, although Maplin is more expensive and Farnel have a £20 minimum order unless you hold a credit account.

Just need to decide wether its better to leave the AMP on, or switch it on and off every day. It drives the multiroom audio in my house, so does get regular use.

Either way happy its working now.

Comment

Goods news is always good. Thanks for the update.

Comment

Working...
                X