Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Server board help needed

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
    There are a lot of P4 boards that suffer with a design flaw that goes back to a mistake in Intel's reference boards.
    The voltage regulators for the RAM slots or Chipset [Memory Controller] can't handle the load of 4 sticks of RAM and keep the voltage stable.
    [Not the regulators for power, I think it's for Vtt.]

What Rat is rattling on about is the cheesy fix Asus [and a few others] came up with to avoid having to fix Intel's mistake on their production boards.
    - Except that it doesn't have a damned thing to do with the BIOS.
    With all the trouble I'm having, I remember why I switched to AMD after upgrading from my Pentium 166...

Socket 775 is nice in some ways, but I don't think I've ever seen anything so hit and miss.

I'm going to play around with it this weekend and see what I find. This is all getting really discouraging though.

Comment

Got it to POST with all 4 gigs installed, after updating the BIOS and replacing the faulty test CPU I was using. I should have tossed that chip after the first time it flaked out on me.

Now I just have to wait for the real CPU to come in, and I can get on with the project.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
        What Rat is rattling on about is the cheesy fix Asus [and a few others] came up with to avoid having to fix Intel's mistake on their production boards.
        no it's not, that prefix is a 32bit athlon board using a via chipset.
        i'v got one - i suspect it's more to do with the capacitance of the tracks between the sockets.

Comment

The Athlon boards use the same reference design in so far as the RAM regulators go.
          In fact AMD basically plagiarizes Intel's reference designs in a lot of areas.
          VRM, PSU Guidelines, AGP VR.
          - Don't believe me, go look up a few.

No, it's not the capacitance in the traces.
          Good idea,, but not it.

I'll see if I can find one of those long drawn out explanations if I have time tomorrow.
          70 miuntes to midnight here. Time to go party some more.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X